Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blanked out number plates

Ala Larj

Why do some people blank out the number plates of their cars when posting pictures on social media? 

I drive in public and don’t worry about people seeing my number plate out on the street!

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

Why do some people blank out the number plates of their cars when posting pictures on social media? 

I drive in public and don’t worry about people seeing my number plate out on the street!

I could never understand it either. How many hundreds of people see them as you drive along each day?

Some people, like Steve above, say that it's to stop criminals cloning the plates but surely, if you have the original plates then any hassle will be borne by the criminal, not you?

• Like 1

Just trying to order a new set for my Celsior (13” x 6.5”) as I am retaining the personal plate, think I’m going to find someone local as I don’t fancy sending log books and the like or personal ID to an unknown seller which could leave me open for fraud.

5 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Surely they could just do that having seen me driving in a public place?

I shared this beautiful picture on Facebook earlier. How does this make me more vulnerable to crime compared to if I shared a similar picture parked in tescos?

D35AAE23-097A-4494-A33B-666BA23AD51D.jpeg

• Like 1

that would make it an effort for the poor dears ,looking on social media is so much easier ,also the paperwork for the offence would come to you and it is then up to you to prove it wasn't you ,happens a lot in london for the new zonal fines.

• Like 1

No-one that is likely to bump into you in the Tesco car park is going to clone your plates, unless they are totally thick.....Most likely that any posted pics of your taxed and insured pride and joy (with plates showing) will be used by a rogue from the other end of the country to rack-up parking and speeding fines etc in an identical car😥.... Better to be safe than sorry😁👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cidersteve said:

that would make it an effort for the poor dears ,looking on social media is so much easier ,also the paperwork for the offence would come to you and it is then up to you to prove it wasn't you ,happens a lot in london for the new zonal fines.

I installed a GPS tracker in my car (under £45 for the tracker itself and £60/year for the cellular service) so I can easily prove where my car is/was on any given occasion. Plus 'Big Brother is watching us' with phone tracking and so on so it shouldn't be too difficult to prove some ne'r-do-well has cloned your plates and that it was them, not you, who committed any offence.

• Like 1

"My Lexus" tracks Betsy's travels under "My Journeys". I'm not going to let my wife know about this, but I haven't turned it off just in case anything untoward happens to her (Betsy, not the current Mrs Mincey). I don't know how many journeys Lexus record, but I'm on seven pages so far.

• Like 1

If a car, same model as the one you have, same colour, with your license plate on it, get caught driving very fast by one of these cameras that are everywhere, you could have a hard time convincing that it is not your car. Even if your phone tell you it was home, your phone could have been home, phones are cheap and that we are supposed to register when getting a SIM - forget it. No problem getting a SIM. Think I got a SIM with every phone I bought. Some countries take your car if driving much too fast.

I've always done it and will continue to just through habit. My concern isn't the general public, it has always stemmed from those looking for specific cars/parts to order. I've had plenty of sets of wheels that held a great deal of value, plus expensive modifications. There was a spate of cars being stolen years ago and then broken down for parts, so for my own piece of mind I kept my plates blanked out to prevent anyone in the business, the ability to work out the vehicles location, which isn't a difficult process!

Technology has moved on so much there probably isn't a need to do it now, but it makes me happy, takes no time at all and really isn't something I think about.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 7:10 PM, Ala Larj said:

Because there are all sorts of nutters out there in internet land who with nous and determination, can unwantedly find out lots of information about your car and you. 

Maybe I'm cynical and paranoid, but why make it easy. 

And I have no past criminal activities and my car is paid for, with a genuine previous ownership record. 

Sorry, but I don't buy this 'done nothing wrong, got nothing to worry about' bs. 

Just got my new plates made up, tried locally but no one does the Japanese sized ones which I am legally entitled to fit.

Eventually found a company in Leicester who were happy to receive scanned copies of the V778 and paper part of my driving licence instead of posting the originals.

Also requested they deleted the copies from their computer system once issued, the V778 is worthless anyway once the transfer has been made. But of course my licence is still valid.

No matter what security measures are put in place crooks will find a way around it, I do wonder how many cars actually fail the MOT on numberplate issues like incorrect character spacing or missing makers details and a BS number.