Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shell V Power Petrol - Waste of money?

On 11/18/2021 at 2:19 PM, Don C said:

I drive express passenger trains now.  I’m a time served mechanic and I was European Technical Sales Manager for Ferodo Friction Materials before I decided to play trains.  You can see what I do here

Ah York station, one of my stomping grounds! Been playing with them (and other train types) for last 43 plus years myself  - LNER.

• Like 1

I always use Esso Premium 99 in my GSF and motorcycles. It is the only one that you can verify to be ethanol free (although not in all parts of the country - details are on the website). The GSF needs 98 ron so as ethanol has no benefit for the vehicle itself then if I’m paying the extra I may as well have 100% petrol (ethanol compatible vehicles tolerate it - there are no benefits running wise as ethanol is less efficient).

The biggest benefit of ethanol free apart from non for compatible vehicles, is to those that stand idle with the same fuel in the tank. Ethanol fuel goes ‘off’ very quickly (petrol lawnmowers more difficult to start after winter) and worse, being an alcohol it attracts water so should never be left in longer term . I have seen the effects first hand and suffered a lot of pain with the fuel systems of old bikes ending up in a right state, ie petrol tanks rusted out and coated inside with a brown treacle looking substance (carburettors, jets clogged with the stuff and sometimes impossible to clear). Fuel stabiliser (such as Stabil) helps a lot but best option is not to put ethanol in your tank if I will not be used relatively quickly.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 9:46 PM, Initial P said:

I heard that E10 in order engines will cause damage to your fuel lines but not for about 10 years but the gov is just covering themselves.

As a matter of interest Pete, from whom did you hear that?

• Like 1

A local car enthusiast so nothing bulletproof but he was using E10 in his Morgan & some of his older stuff.

He also said V Power octane varies depending on where you live in the UK.

Isn't Brazil on E30 now?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links