Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New RX owner…almost!

My new RX delivery date has been confirmed as 26th November at Lexus Swindon. She will be a Sonic White Pearl Premium with Tech, Safety and Protection packs and a black leather interior.

I’ve had two NXs, the current one for almost four years and 25k trouble free and blissful miles. However, the part-ex price and the discount on the RX meant the opportunity was too good to miss to upgrade. I can’t wait!

First job will be to have the RX paintwork corrected and ceramic coated. Having had this done on my NX I can’t imagine being without it as it makes cleaning just so easy. I’m a long standing detailer, but love the ease with which I can achieve almost perfection simply with a quick spritz of GTechniq c2v3 isn’t something I’m willing to be without now.

Other than that, I’d be grateful for current RX owners to give me hints and tips. Anything I should look out for? I’ll have the HUD, and the ‘climate concierge’ as well as the opening panoramic roof so lots of new toys to learn about! Pictures as soon as she is delivered…

• Like 7

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

My new RX delivery date has been confirmed as 26th November at Lexus Swindon. She will be a Sonic White Pearl Premium with Tech, Safety and Protection packs and a black leather interior.

I’ve had two NXs, the current one for almost four years and 25k trouble free and blissful miles. However, the part-ex price and the discount on the RX meant the opportunity was too good to miss to upgrade. I can’t wait!

First job will be to have the RX paintwork corrected and ceramic coated. Having had this done on my NX I can’t imagine being without it as it makes cleaning just so easy. I’m a long standing detailer, but love the ease with which I can achieve almost perfection simply with a quick spritz of GTechniq c2v3 isn’t something I’m willing to be without now.

Other than that, I’d be grateful for current RX owners to give me hints and tips. Anything I should look out for? I’ll have the HUD, and the ‘climate concierge’ as well as the opening panoramic roof so lots of new toys to learn about! Pictures as soon as she is delivered…

You are going to have to change your user name - or really you should have done 4 years ago .

Congrats on the new RX

• Haha 1

Have fun trolling through the menus!

I was told by the sales people my  2016 didn't have the proximity sensing tailgate opening.

It did but wasn't switched on in menu.

HUD heads up display is nice with speed limit sign shown next to actual speed.

It is a great car but my  2005 LS430 is smoother, quieter and cost 32000 pounds less!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Goodplan53 said:

Hi Ed,

Good choice! Got my current RX from Lexus Swindon, too (and the one before) - cannot fault the customer service!  Hope you are happy with it.

Yes, this is my third consecutive Lexus from Swindon - they’ve always been very attentive with excellent service. They’re a friendly group too, which is nice!

My only serious annoyance is that google maps doesn't work with the HUD (it does talk to the mini screen in the dash) so I tend to use the built in sat nav more.

Also to do map updates you need to find the "Lexus Online" setting and enable it (and the map update takes an hour or so). Plugging in an android phone via the glove box overrides it back into Android Auto mode. The builtin wifi module seems to be a pain to get setup but I think I was one of the early users so it may be better these days. I would particularly bother with it if your phone has a decent wifi hosting plan (although the my lexus page doesn't setup completely until it's done).

On the plus side the auto handbrake is nice (it's in sync with Park on the gearbox) but I wish Lexus had offered the 360 camera as a stand alone option in the UK market.

I'm very happy with my 2020 model, just wish with all the pandemic stuff I'd been able to drive it more.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Delivery to me confirmed for Friday. I’ve just deleted all the information from my current NX in readiness for the swap.

Exciting times! Pictures to follow once collected.

Only one more sleep then Ed 😎

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Delivery to me confirmed for Friday. I’ve just deleted all the information from my current NX in readiness for the swap.

Exciting times! Pictures to follow once collected.

All the best Ed with the new car. I bet Friday can't come quickly enough 🙂

I know how satisfied you were with the NX so hopefully the RX will be just as good, if not better.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy B said:

All the best Ed with the new car. I bet Friday can't come quickly enough 🙂

I know how satisfied you were with the NX so hopefully the RX will be just as good, if not better.

I did a long trip yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, as usual. I have to be honest - I do have a few concerns that the RX can’t be much better than my NX - but I am looking forward to the additional kit, and at the price agreed I’d have been crazy not to swap.

• Like 1

New RX collected this morning, and what lovely weather for it! She certainly got nice and dirty on the journey back down the M4 after collection...🙄

As always, the team at Lexus Swindon were excellent. A nice - and unusual - gift of Japanese spoons accompanied the car which was presented perfectly. After connecting mobile telephone and logging in to Lexus Link, a quick tour of the major controls, some final paperwork and she was mine.

Sonic White looks beautiful under the showroom lights 😍. Will contact Lexus to get the full paper manuals sent - assume they still do this - and will play with the incredible tech over the next couple of days. I'm glad I got one with the tech & safety packs as I especially love the blind spot monitor and the panoramic roof which makes the interior so light.

And now, the photographs…

F7C9DF0C-9AD9-4A10-A562-C34ED5363E46_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.24ab05093e081e1b64241d7ad9114352.jpeg47557A2B-9C47-4781-B395-52F9F373093A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7d7a35a1c9c0a18e6edfd39b44819dba.jpeg9A6D5EA0-2C09-4401-89CE-E5FE7197948B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.db388bc0e7f7f5391448c267a32ebb73.jpeg

AAB53CF1-47EE-4551-90F8-0887BC9621EE.jpeg

34989D8D-F32B-4051-8A1F-3A4D7FFC2E3E.jpeg

3FB2060F-D31B-4742-A5BC-307C28E92538.jpeg

7EAF0BC7-E1FA-4063-A341-24F80BFC5AB1.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

New RX collected this morning, and what lovely weather for it! She certainly got nice and dirty on the journey back down the M4 after collection...🙄

As always, the team at Lexus Swindon were excellent. A nice - and unusual - gift of Japanese spoons accompanied the car which was presented perfectly. After connecting mobile telephone and logging in to Lexus Link, a quick tour of the major controls, some final paperwork and she was mine.

Sonic White looks beautiful under the showroom lights 😍. Will contact Lexus to get the full paper manuals sent - assume they still do this - and will play with the incredible tech over the next couple of days. I'm glad I got one with the tech & safety packs as I especially love the blind spot monitor and the panoramic roof which makes the interior so light.

And now, the photographs…

F7C9DF0C-9AD9-4A10-A562-C34ED5363E46_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.24ab05093e081e1b64241d7ad9114352.jpeg47557A2B-9C47-4781-B395-52F9F373093A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7d7a35a1c9c0a18e6edfd39b44819dba.jpeg9A6D5EA0-2C09-4401-89CE-E5FE7197948B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.db388bc0e7f7f5391448c267a32ebb73.jpeg

AAB53CF1-47EE-4551-90F8-0887BC9621EE.jpeg

34989D8D-F32B-4051-8A1F-3A4D7FFC2E3E.jpeg

3FB2060F-D31B-4742-A5BC-307C28E92538.jpeg

7EAF0BC7-E1FA-4063-A341-24F80BFC5AB1.jpeg

Really keen to know more about the driving experience but to continue the thread 6 SPOONS!! 🤯, for what you paid out I would have expected at least a canteen of cutlery 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mincey said:

She looks fabulous! How big is your grin?

My grin is on the large side…it’s a fabulous thing.

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Really keen to know more about the driving experience but to continue the thread 6 SPOONS!! 🤯, for what you paid out I would have expected at least a canteen of cutlery 🤣

TBF the deal was so good I was happy with a Tunnock’s Caramel with my cup of tea! At least the spoons are unusual. And very Japanese…

I wore my Japan Rugby (vintage) shirt especially for the collection. I may have gone slightly mad, but at least I haven’t named the RX…YET! I was thinking of Moby, as it’s a big white whale, but my cars always have female monikers. Maureen perhaps? I’ll sleep on it.

• Like 2

The new RX looks fantastic Ed 😃 Regarding the manuals, yes Lexus still do this - I sent off an email to Lexus customer services after I bought my RX, and the full manual, plus infotainment manual, were received a few days later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

My grin is on the large side…it’s a fabulous thing.

TBF the deal was so good I was happy with a Tunnock’s Caramel with my cup of tea! At least the spoons are unusual. And very Japanese…

I wore my Japan Rugby (vintage) shirt especially for the collection. I may have gone slightly mad, but at least I haven’t named the RX…YET! I was thinking of Moby, as it’s a big white whale, but my cars always have female monikers. Maureen perhaps? I’ll sleep on it.

Go the whole hog Ed, Tamami in Japanese means woman who is a beautiful gem🤓

Congratulations on your new motor. 

I think you will find the seats a lot more comfortable than the NX and I'm sure you won't find much difference in fuel consumption. I sometimes miss mine, but the loss of £500 a month business mileage was a big incentive to downsize. My Subaru is exactly the same shade of pearlescent white as Lexus and I think it is a great colour to keep clean (my GS300h was the same colour). 

Enjoy!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

Congratulations on your new motor. 

I think you will find the seats a lot more comfortable than the NX and I'm sure you won't find much difference in fuel consumption. I sometimes miss mine, but the loss of £500 a month business mileage was a big incentive to downsize. My Subaru is exactly the same shade of pearlescent white as Lexus and I think it is a great colour to keep clean (my GS300h was the same colour). 

Enjoy!! 

My initial impressions of the RX aren’t a surprise - after all, I had one on loan for 6-8 weeks four years ago, and had one for three days before making my decision to swap. What I will find interesting will be the long term ownership differences between an RX and an NX.

TBH I’ve never really understood the ‘seat comfort’ thing. I found the NX to be supremely comfortable, and in some ways the slightly smaller seats suited me better.  Personally I’d say there’s nothing in it.

Where the RX does really score bonus points, is the general refinement and silence. The NX was excellent in this regard, but only when driven gently (which is what I tend to do). However, the RX takes things to a whole new level. NX very good, RX superb.

Fuel economy comparisons will need to wait for the RX engine to ‘run in’ a bit. My previous experience showed the RX to be 5-10 mpg lower than the NX, but - and it’s a big but - those were loan cars, so I may have driven them (ahem) more enthusiastically than I drive my own car. I’ll now be in a position to compare like for like, but not for a few weeks yet.

The RX also scores highly for the extra equipment, although it is significantly more expensive. I never knew I needed a heated steering wheel until this morning! Also love the panoramic roof, HUD and blind spot monitors. The NX had more bells and whistles than I thought I needed, and now it turns out I’m seduced by even more tech!

Once I’ve had the car for a few weeks I’ll write up a proper comparison based on my opinions of both cars.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Looks lovely! I bet you are very pleased.  

I am particularly interested in your NX v RX comparison, as we might consider going the other way, i.e. from RX to NX in two years' time at the end of the PCP, depending on what deals are available from Lexus Swindon.  Reason is simply the size of the RX, which is perhaps a little too big for our country lanes.  But that said, we do love the luxurious interior of the RX, and we might go for a newer RX or simply pay the balloon payment and keep our current 2016 RX. 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:57 AM, Goodplan53 said:

Reason is simply the size of the RX, which is perhaps a little too big for our country lanes

Had I still been living in rural Wiltshire I doubt I’d have gone RX for that exact reason - but now moved to Berkshire the size just isn’t such an issue.