Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Main dealer service Versus DIY

Hi all

I have a 2017 IS300h for 2 years now, it has 92000 miles and a full service history with Lexus.

I plan to keep this car until its beyond repair, apart from the Hybrid Battery warranty which may be a consideration as it is guaranteed till the cars 15th birthday is there any other reason why I shouldn't do the servicing myself if I stick to the service schedule.

I am unfortunately not tech savy so will to look into that for future diagnostics if needed and possibly will bring it to lexus for the inverter coolant change.

Am I missing anything here, my financial circumstances have changed for the worse since i bought the car so I can't afford the servicing, I don't want to sell the car.

• Like 1

I don't see any problem at all with DIY. It may be a Lexus but it's still a car with an engine, cooling system, brakes and so on, so for regular normal servicing it's just a regular normal car.

If you ever need to bleed the brakes then you'll need Techstream to do that but for normal disc and/or pad changes it's just the same as any other car.

• Like 3

If you have the facilities and tools plus knowledge, I believe the chances that you will get a good job done every time will be bigger at home than with a commercial garage.

Like mentioned above some things are special with hybrid and automatic that need to be made by Lexus in order to keep warranty, but a well-made, home-made service is what I would call the best thing to treat a car you intend to keep with.

Not possible for those living in flats with a miniature place to park the car.

• Like 1

I would add a note of caution regarding diy on a hybrid's brakes. You will need to do your homework as the hybrid's brakes use an electric hydraulic pump which needs to be disabled by disconnecting the 12V Battery (as the pump can operate even when not in the 'ready' mode). However that shouldn't stop you working on them as the dealers are often neglectful e.g. regarding lubrication or freeing up of the floating brake calliper pins.

• Like 1

Interesting views and coming from the LC stable, I was surprised to read very strong suggestions within the user manual that diy servicing could be contemplated. In reality and entirely as Herbs says, why not? Yes I am sure there are area's where one might need to tread carefully but when I recall some of the jobs I did in my youth a standard service would have held no fear whatsoever.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links