Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rc in the snow

All cars can drive in snow. Not all drivers. Practise is useful. Living in Norway gives you practise.

Went through the high road from Oslo to Trondheim in a VW Beetle in winter. On summer tyres. Stupid me, but no problems. 1970 something.

Also, through the mountains from Spain to France in a snowstorm in a Nissan 300 ZX. Do not remember which tyres. Standard Nissan 3 months old. 1984 - 85.

• Like 1

'Many Lexus models have a button labelled ‘Snow’ near the gear shift lever. If so, use it. Activating this setting allows the sophisticated electronics to maximise grip on slippery surfaces by reducing torque to the driven wheels'

Quote from Lexus website regarding driving in snow. But it does say about 1 sentence above it the importance of correct tyres 🙂

• Like 2

The snow mode button basically softens the throttle response, it can't find grip where there is none.

The best option is to fit winter tyres with the snowflake and mountain symbol. I don't believe All Season tyres (e.g. CrossClimate) are available for the RC.

13 hours ago, Killysprint said:

If the rc is anything like the GSF - it’ll be like bambi on ice in the snow.

like someone said - change the tyres for winters. Used to change the ISF every year. Makes a huge difference 

I think it's also a factor what part of the country you live. I live down near the South Coast and rarely put my set of winter tyres on whereas up North I can see the point.

Although I fully agree with the point of view its all about braking distances in cold wet weather with winter tyres. I've run all season tyres on my work vans for many years now as I was once stranded down in Bournemouth one year.

For a RWD, the RC is good in snowy conditions, and you can be confident of the grip and stability in slush and on compacted snow provided you have the right tyres, which to me means winter tyres, i.e. with the snowflake-and-mountain symbol.  If the conditions are severe, or borderline, or difficult to judge, it is best to engage manual mode in addition to snow mode and keep to a low gear setting, and, of course, brake gently.  The same applies to gradients, only more so, and I recommend switching off the traction control if there is a risk of stopping and spinning the wheels. The RC prefers uphill gradients, and can feel as though it is getting away from you on downhill ones unless you keep to a low gear setting or are willing to risk braking too hard.

Returning to the subject of tyres, if you know you are going to be driving in snowy/icy conditions for a prolonged period of time, or if you are heading for an area where there is a serious risk of snow, winter tyres are absolutely essential.  I live in the foothills of a mountainous area, well below the snowline but unprotected from sudden and unexpected bouts of snowy and/or icy weather, and I prefer to change to winter tyres in October on the principle that hoping for the best shouldn't stop you from preparing for the worst.  

Cold weather and a warm cabin can cause fogging of the windows, but in my experience only momentarily if you turn up the fan.  Check the cabin air filter anyway.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - fellow RCF owner and find the Michelin Super Sports a little, touchy perhaps, in the cold.

Have been looking for winter or all season tyres, living in Wiltshire, snow probably isn't a frequent concern, so mainly for cold, wet and icey mornings.

Seems to be a limited number of options for the RCF tire sizes, on Blackcircles can only see Kumho WinterCraft WP71 (Winter Tyre) which seem cheap (compared to Michelin SuperSports or PS4Ss) at £144.50 for the rears or Vredestein Wintrac Pro (Winter Tyre).

Does anyone have any experience of these or any other recommendations for tyres - and the best sources for them please?

I've also raised the query with Lexus and will advise on what I get back.

Thanks in advance.

IMO …….
Fit a set of Cross Climates tyres and if driven in a sensible manner snow etc will not cause you any concern except those around you.

Simply drive in real bad conditions as if you have no brakes (try it one day) and that will help a lot as brakes will not.

Snow chains / studded tires etc etc are for places where you will never take your Lexus, well not those asking the questions anyway. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VFR said:

IMO …….
Fit a set of Cross Climates tyres and if driven in a sensible manner snow etc will not cause you any concern except those around you.

Simply drive in real bad conditions as if you have no brakes (try it one day) and that will help a lot as brakes will not.

Snow chains / studded tires etc etc are for places where you will never take your Lexus, well not those asking the questions anyway. 

Hi VFR - thanks, I think you're quite right about an all season probably being a good compromise and preferable given winters are rarely constantly cold.

Unfortunately, as NemisisUK says, Michelin don't appear a 275 35 19 tyre in the Cross Climates nor do Continental in the AllSeasonContact - although they do a 40.

I'm not sure how unusual the RCF's tyre sizes are?

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, hockeyedwards said:

'Many Lexus models have a button labelled ‘Snow’ near the gear shift lever. If so, use it. Activating this setting allows the sophisticated electronics to maximise grip on slippery surfaces by reducing torque to the driven wheels'

Quote from Lexus website regarding driving in snow. But it does say about 1 sentence above it the importance of correct tyres 🙂

If a car does not have the snow mode, could it be that the ECO mode will do more or less the same?

The snow setting is a fantastic little addition. I don't rotate tyres mainly as there is very little need to in our household and location in the country, but the times I've had to use the setting on my previous Lexus models (all RWD), it worked very well. I've been fortunate enough to learn and gain experiences in the snow in a few vehicles, and I'd say that if you're planning for many miles in the F, lots of snow and/or the gradient of the roads you use vary, change the tyres as suggested above. You can always store them when you don't need them. There are also some great videos on YouTube about the difference in vehicles with and without snow tyres.

2 hours ago, Twellsie said:

I run Pirelli Soto Zero on my ISF

Painfully £320 a tyre for the RCF's rears at National though... Cheaper than bending it admittedly... Well, probably.

Edited by HughTwo
Just caveating

37 minutes ago, HughTwo said:

Painfully £320 a tyre for the RCF's rears at National though... Cheaper than bending it admittedly... Well, probably.

Yes, but bear in mind that you prolong the life of your normal tyres by not using them, and presumably they are  not exactly inexpensive either!