Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diff fluid replacement

I did it when I had. my IS250. It is due at 25k mile intervals. As with any oil or other fluid change carried out at a recommended interval you won't notice any difference . 

You may notice a problem later on if you don't do it. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, johnatg said:

As with any oil or other fluid change carried out at a recommended interval you won't notice any difference . 

Agreed, if you notice a difference then you have gone way past a change interval. The standard change interval is preventative maintenance.

17 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Agreed, if you notice a difference then you have gone way past a change interval. The standard change interval is preventative maintenance.

Well said there. It's such a simple maintenance task too. doesn't need much time either. Key is to make sure car is on level ground and always remove the refill plug before drain plug just incase there is any issues afterwards removing the refill plug. Always replace the washer too.

9 minutes ago, dephrank said:

What rear diff oil do you buy and where do I get one? Think I need to do this on mine as well. 

Genuine Toyota 75w85 gear oil and a new washer for the drain plug. The gear oil is sold in 1L bottles so you most probably need to buy 2x 1L bottles but then that 1L extra bottle will last you 5 services along with a 1L bottle if that makes sense. So first time buy 2x 1L and you will have 0.8L left from that bottle which you can use 4 more times accompanying a 1L bottle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, johnatg said:

I swear by this:

Lucas Synthetic Gear & Transmission Oil SAE 75W-90

Find it on ebay - less than £20 a US quart - use it in all my diffs. 

I know about Lucas products. Used the engine oil stabiliser on my old Bimma. It made the car super quiet and smooth.