Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dunlop Sp Sport 9000 Mfs

doobs

Just bought one of the above (fitted to spare in boot though) after hearing good reports about the tyre. How do I know if I have got the "Lexus" version though rather than the "non Lexus" one - is the tyre marked differently ??

I am sure the tyre fitters supplied the right one - but how do I tell. Receipt just says 215/45/ZR17 DUNLOP SP SPORT 9000 MFS

I bought if from local Formula 1 centre and I was quite impressed by their fitting etc - I also had a 4 wheel laser alignment done for £24.99 + VAT - and they showed me how they do it and the "after effect" of the check etc

How do I know if I have got the "Lexus" version though rather than the "non Lexus" one - is the tyre marked differently ??

I wasn't aware of a 'Lexus Specific' SP 9000. :blink:

There are 2 types, one with a rim protector and one without.

Not sure if they do it without MFS (rim protector) now.

There are 3 types. Standard, Extra load and Lexus OEM.

Thanks Colin - mine is made in germany and says MFS on it - which i believe is dunlop's version of a rim protector - however unlike the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 which had a noticable protuding band running round the tyre to protect the alloy, the dunlop (side on) does not appear to have any real protuding part of the tyre to protect the rim - although the sidewall of the tyre may be stronger??, I can't see how the rim protector would work!!! Any thoughts

besty has pm'ed me but my pm to him was a mail error - not sure if it worked or not (if so sorry besty) - so any other dunlop sp 9000 owners can you help -

I have the made in germany tyre but have heard that it may not be the right version of the tyre - although it says MFS (dunlops rim protection???) on it - I can't see any clear rim protection (side on) and if I have the correct tyre I can't see how it will prevent kerbing of the alloy as the rim protection (if I have it) is minimal. I have also heard that the japanese tyre may have double rim protection - how visible is it on the japanes tyre though

besty has pm'ed me but my pm to him was a mail error - not sure if it worked or not (if so sorry besty) - so any other dunlop sp 9000 owners can you help -

I have the made in germany tyre but have heard that it may not be the right version of the tyre - although it says MFS (dunlops rim protection???) on it - I can't see any clear rim protection (side on) and if I have the correct tyre I can't see how it will prevent kerbing of the alloy as the rim protection (if I have it) is minimal. I have also heard that the japanese tyre may have double rim protection - how visible is it on the japanes tyre though

the german ones are the same quality as the jap ones,the difference is the new type jap ones ,the rim of the tyre sticks out about quarter of an inch past the rim of the wheel,ye can still kerb them,a gimmic really.german tyres are top notch as are jap tyres,the same mate.dont panic. :)

I brought a couple of tyres last month for my IS. Got a quote for both a standard SP9000 and Lexus one. The Lexus one was £10 more, came in a box and is made in Japan. Both types are MFS - the small lip which is meant to stop kerbing

MFS

I've contacted Dunlop to clarify the different types of SP9000 and how to tell them apart. Hopefully I will get a response.

• 4 weeks later...

The Lexus version of the SP9000 will probably have the letters CZ on the sidewall somewhere. The Bridgestones have this CZ mark as well (not to be confused with the Z speed rating).

I just had 2x SP9090,s put on my IS they look the same as Std SP9000, what can you tell me about them guys asi did ask for SP9000 and when i looked they are the 9090,s and they dont have MFS :yawn: well they dont look like they do ;)

any way my point is are the SP9000 and the SP9090 the same, as to me they look the same :whistling:

This is quite ironic as I have just had 2 new SP9000's fitted to the front of my IS, I had friction wear and the insides were worn down. I was really really lucky though as I shopped around and got them for £86 quid each as they are being discontinued. Laser alignment was £17 as well!!! This was from a garage near Chester.

I have been running standard SP9000's so far as recommended by Lexus Chester, I know what the difference is but what are the benefits?

Anyway, The SP9000 has been superseeded by the SP Sport Maxx which I have been told is even better than the SP9000, has anybody fitted these yet???

As this topic comes up quite a lot surely we must be able to negotiate a group buy !

• 4 weeks later...
mine is made in germany and says MFS on it - which i believe is dunlop's version of a rim protector - however unlike the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 which had a noticable protuding band running round the tyre to protect the alloy, the dunlop (side on) does not appear to have any real protuding part of the tyre to protect the rim - although the sidewall of the tyre may be stronger??, I can't see how the rim protector would work!!!

Yeah i've seen the same thing. I still have two of the original tyres on my car, and they are Dunlop SP Sport 9000s and there is a clear half centimetre or so protrusion from the wheel. However, the two newer tyres i have on the car still say MFS on them, but now sit flush with the wheel and are providing no protection (i say that through experience :crybaby: )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links