Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Update from the Dark Side

Well I've owned my Subaru now since June and covered 4000 miles. 

Firstly the downsides. 

Car has just had 2 urgent recall notices and is booked in for these and a winter check at nearest dealer in Swindon. 

Secondly I enquired on the cost of the next intermediate service. This is £400 which is dearer than Lexus. I enquired about cost of front discs and pads and was amazed that it is a £500 job. 

My 2015 RX was £330 I recall for front brakes. 

Good points. A week in Cornwall made me realise the Subaru is a better vehicle for steep and narrow lanes and offroad. A sat nav guided trip into Polperro would have been a disaster with the RX as even with mirrors folded in the XV would only just squeeze between the houses. 

Full Time Four wheel drive is superb and the eyesight safety system likewise. 

Headlights are superb. Seats are very comfortable. 

Fuel consumption averaging 31mpg but main road driving from Bodmin to Gloucester tank to tank achieved 37mpg.

I will report on my dealership visit after my appointment early December. 

I find it interesting that Subaru and Toyota are so different and yet they are jointly linked in projects and finances. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn’t call Subaru ‘the dark side.’ More like cousins…

Useful update though. I almost went for a Forester hybrid to replace my NX - the third time I’ve ‘almost’ bought one - but the deal on a new RX was just too strong. Fortunately now I’m out of rural Wiltshire the bulk of the RX that put me off previously isn’t (as great) an issue.

OllieLes .... never ever ever think Dark Side ........  life always has good stuff and the Bright Side is always best .........  with occasional sadder moments interspersed

Subaru's are generally wonderful cars ..  love seeing the occasional Imprezas around, reminded me of when I had a car sales business and we had a sooped up Subaru Impreza summat or other ...  the fastest machine on the planet .  well, in those days anyway :wink3:

Malc

Les and Ed make a valid point for consideration when choosing a model.   There are certainly places where the large width of some models which seem to continually increase over the years can be a problem.  I found this when I moved from Surrey to Devon.  We are very close to Cornwall and also have some very narrow lanes, a number of which are only suitable as single track with few passing points.  This is one of the reasons why I decided not to upgrade to the 4th Generation.

Nice to hear from you Les and on balance that you are happy with your RX replacement.