Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is there any import duty / VAT from Japan?

AFlex

Hi guys,

I've been using jp-carparts a few times lately over the last 12 months or so. I've never been charged VAT or import duty for any of the imports.

On the odd occasion that I've imported things from the US or United Arab Emirates, I've always had the pay the import duty before receiving the goods.

Does anyone know whether imports from Japan are exempt? Or did I just happen to keep my order value below some magic threshold where VAT doesn't apply? From memory, all of the Japanese imports have been below £150 inc. delivery.

I did read the following government article which suggests there is some kind of free-trade agreement with Japan, but not sure if that is related?https://www.gov.uk/guidance/summary-of-the-uk-japan-comprehensive-economic-partnership-agreement

Cheers

Found this document which seems to suggest there is no duty:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/929065/UK-Japan-Trade-Agreement-sectoral-benefits.pdf

"UK tariffs on two tariff lines covering electrical control units often used in cars will be put to zero as of 1 January 2021. By bringing in reductions on tariffs on car parts, UK-based auto manufacturers will beneft from lower costs of production, which they can pass onto consumers. CEPA also includes an automotive annex to facilitate regulatory alignment and the reduction of non-tariff barriers. Without the agreement it will be more costly for UK and Japanese businesses trading vehicles and vehicle parts."

If this is true for all car parts, it makes importing from Japan much cheaper as you get an immediate 20% saving!

methinks this is a minefield and the Rules might / will have changed over these months. I believe there are / were changing rules in negotiation for Japan ........... why not directly ask a  current Japanese exporter of car parts to the UK  ?

Amayama maybe ....  I know when I imported from them pre-Brexit I paid their carriage, Customs Duty and VAT and a small Post Office handling charge for the documentation too ..  overall imported cost was still sub 50% of the UK Lexus / Toyota supplied parts ...  UCAs and about £250 per item 

• Like 1

I import car parts from Japan regularly and customs charges are to be expected.  Usually works out around 20-25% on top of the total (parts plus the shipping costs).

Occasionally something will slide through but it is a rarity.  The likes of Parcelforce will ask for the customs before delivery but some couriers (for example Fedex) will deliver then send out the bill afterwards.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. But can I ask when was the last time you ordered from Japan? Was it pre-Brexit?

I have ordered 3 times from jp-carparts (all after the date of that document i linked to)

I have never been charged any import taxes or duty on any of these occassions

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Read through the latest links in this string and it appears that for some car parts there is no duty - ECUs are mentioned specifically.

Like other contributers I have been getting Lexus parts direct from Amaya in Japan and have yet to be charged import duty.

This is just as well as I am currently in serious discussion with Lexus UK regarding problems with the power steering on my Dec 2006 (61000 mile) Lexus LS460L. Got exceeding full lock warning on display two months ago followed by steering wheel now offset by 45 degrees and DTC C15A9 diagnosed.

Apparently the early 460s had problems with their VGRS system and there was a voluntary safety recall in 2010 to replace the power steering ECUs for cars manufactured in 2008/09.  Only 44 cars were recalled in the UK, so after some digging, I got my hands on an internal Lexus Technical Service Bulletin from 10/10/2008. It reveals that Lexus were aware that the original design of VGRS was not fit for purpose and consequently the lock holder components on the steering link assembly were modified to prevent lock holder movement and the VGRS software was changed in the ECU. Production changes were implemented in October 2007 (only 15 months after LS460 and LS600h were put into production in June 2006).

As it turns out I suspect the 2010 safety recall was to replace the modified PS ECUs from 2007/8 manufactured cars onwards (same phenomenon as was being experienced as with early production models).  I did find information that in the USA, four 2006/7 cars that had their power steering ECUs replaced under warranty, then had to have them replaced again under the 2010 recall.

I have found out that one chap on LOC from Ayrshire had the same problem I have, repaired f.o.c in 2010 as his Warranty had only ran out 4 weeks earlier. 

It would appear that Lexus has mostly managed to keep this problem swept under the carpet, and has probably thought that it has gone away now.  However, my argument is that Lexus sold a premium vehicle in 2006/7 with systemic design flaws that should have been dealt with under a product recall. If the problem did manifest in the first 3 years then those owners were lucky,  covered by warranty. However, for the rest of us, if you were/are unfortunate enough to have suffered this problem, then what was a £5000 repair in 2010 is now £8800 for parts (UK Lexus prices) plus labour (1 day).

I can currently get the same parts from Japanese based OEM parts supplier Megazip for £3031. Any import duty charged would be on the link assembly only (if at all).  Either Lexus UK are exorbitantly greedy or their parts chief buyer needs sacking.

Apologies about the rant

Doc Brown 

Hi guys, 

Just read annex B of UK/Japan free trade agreement and yes, car parts are import duty free. 

Just as well, as I have to replace the power steering link assembly on my LS460. Lexus UK quote £6425 plus VAT. Megazip parts Japan delivers same part to UK for £2150, so 1/3 the price. Still steep but not a car killer and more reliable than used.

Been in negotiation with Lexus UK re steering link assembly problem was a known design flaw that they modified within 15 months of initial production in 2006. Best I could get was half Lexus price plus VAT. Still a no brainer to get direct from Japan. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links