Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Saga Insurance Rip Off

Gregory Jones

Hi, I am getting close now to having to buy a new set of tyres for my CT200H Premium, the recommended size is 215/45/17W 87 load rating. This is the size of the Yokohama tyres that are fitted to my car.

I have been following the posts on changing the size slightly to 205/50/17V or W, in order to reduce the amount of road noise in the car and soften the hard ride a little. This seems to be the route that quite a few forum members have taken, and seem to be pleased with the results.

As a precaution, I enquired with my insurance company (Saga Insurance) if this was ok to do and after a 2 day delay they replied that it was OK, but wanted to charge me an additional £62.50 per year for fitting in their words "larger tyres".

There is no way I came going to pay extra for something that as far as I can see poses no extra risk to the insurance company. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who can recommend a quiet 215/45 tyre.

Greg

You don’t mention the type of driving you do or if you have any other preferences regarding performance.  But I think you’ll find that if you want an excellent all-season tyre, then the Michelin CrossClimate 2 comes in the size you seek and is an excellent tyre.

It’s certainly quieter than the original Yokohamas that Lexus tend to fit.  We have the earlier incarnation on a Suzuki 4x4 and they certainly provide a quiet, comfortable ride with reassuringly high levels of grip.

I suggest you might check out the comparative tyre tests for more information.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

That said I think the term "rip-off" is rather strong as you have not been cheated of defrauded. 

May be a geographical thing but certainly round here, "rip-off" has the dual meaning of cheating/defrauding or just generally being way overpriced.

We have Pirelli P7. The roads here are in all kind of states. Some with holes dangerous to drive in and some are well maintained. On the bad roads we hear the noise like expected. On new roads there is hardly any road noise.

When needing new tyres, we will put on summer tyres. Less noise and temperature get down to 15° C in winter when it is "very cold" so all season that are a compromise between good summer and good winter tyres are not really that smart. In the place where you live all season make sense. It is stupid to change wheels every time the temperature shifts up and down. 2 cars would make sense in UK as well as many other places. If it was not for the cost of convenience.

• Like 1

Regarding tyre noise, I'm hoping the testing is done on a 'standardised' road surface. We've just had some resurfacing done round here and the new tarmac is astonishingly quiet compared to the adjacent surface!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Damer said:

I have been driving for 30 years. Never been asked what tyres I have. Yes the usual question on modifications to the car, but not tyres.

If one changes the size of tyre from that supplied from the factory this is deemed a modification. The onus is on the person applying for insurance to disclose the relevant information, not the insurer to ask the specific questions

• Like 3

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

"supplied from the factory", OR SPECIFIED IN THE VEHICLE HANDBOOK, I would add Peter.

I would to but my previous insurer stated any change from that supplied at the time of purchase (left the factory) is a modification. I did change to another size wheel and tyre, upped from 17" to the 18" optional shown in the handbook and they noted it on my policy but didn't change my premium, at the time.....

I think the prudent action is to enquire of one's insurer before making any changes. Many don't penalise, many do!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I would to but my previous insurer stated any change from that supplied at the time of purchase (left the factory) is a modification. I did change to another size wheel and tyre, upped from 17" to the 18" optional shown in the handbook and they noted it on my policy but didn't change my premium, at the time.....

I think the prudent action is to enquire of one's insurer before making any changes. Many don't penalise, many do!

I agree.

I changed from Yokohama to Michelin Cross Climate on a 2015 Ct200h Premier 6 months ago and can honestly say it's like driving a different car. Ride is so much quieter and smoother, the only disappointment is that the Michelin have very little in the form of kerb protection so extra caution is required when parking alongside a pavement. 

18 hours ago, rhosneigr said:

so extra caution is required when parking alongside a pavement. 

OMG  for heavens sake just park on it then :whistling:

Malc

I jest of course

21 hours ago, rhosneigr said:

I changed from Yokohama to Michelin Cross Climate on a 2015 Ct200h Premier 6 months ago and can honestly say it's like driving a different car. Ride is so much quieter and smoother, the only disappointment is that the Michelin have very little in the form of kerb protection so extra caution is required when parking alongside a pavement. 

I have recently fitted new crossclimates and spent the Michelin £100 refund towards a set of alloygators to protect the rims. They look smart and tidy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stepheneric said:

I have recently fitted new crossclimates and spent the Michelin £100 refund towards a set of alloygators to protect the rims. They look smart and tidy

A shrewd investment, Stephen.

The first week I had my Lexus, I managed to scuff both near side wheels - the kerbs being hidden under snow.

Our local ChipsAway guy did a splendid repair job, but this was obviously gong to be an expensive hobby.

So I too had Alloygators fitted.    Now if I collect a scuff on the plastic rim, I think of the money I’ve just saved!

My personal experience of Saga is the exact opposite.  We also own a Mazda MX5.  It is commonplace on these cars to increase the tyre size slightly, to get a greater choice.  I told the Saga call-centre about this, she checked and came back to me and said it was not a problem.  It's on my insurance that my car has increased tyre size, and there was no mention of an extra charge.

As a matter of interest, Saga offered the most competitive premium for our Mazda, but were miles out on the Lexus!  Our CT200 is insured with LV, £50+ lower premium than Saga.

I hope this helps,

Brian.

I've used Saga these past few years with mixed feelings ...  but on balance all OK

Earlier times I felt ripped-off when they charged me a stupid extra mid stream premium when I moved home / Post Code............. insuring again some years later with Saga my new post code was never an issue ...................  Saga COULD and DID take unfair advantage of me at that time knowing I was STUCK mid year and wouldn't move insurers 

I queried and queried it again, and the Brokers for/thru' Saga just told me that they didn't have to give any reasoning to me, their policyholder, for their assessment of " risk "

Absolute " rip-off" for sure ......  BUT I'm back again now with their premiums, quality of service etc just about ok

I won't move home mid stream again tho' 😈

Malc