Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

car & classic website Ls400

"The LS400 is still a car that impresses. It’s still, thirty years on, an example of how to build a car. It’s now also a proper classic, but one that will, if maintained, never let you down. It might not be the most economical choice these days, but if you can live with the thirst, the LS400 could easily be the last car you ever need. It was, and still is a triumph. One of the automotive greats, in fact."

just a little something I saw today trawling there :thumbsup:

Malc

On 11/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, Chris Skelton said:

Which is why I'm resisting one of these https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WTkAAOSwamZhdT61/s-l1600.jpg

and getting tempted by another Ser4. If only I could squeeze an LS into a C6......

I must say, I love that!

On 11/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, Malc said:

"The LS400 is still a car that impresses. It’s still, thirty years on, an example of how to build a car. It’s now also a proper classic, but one that will, if maintained, never let you down. It might not be the most economical choice these days, but if you can live with the thirst, the LS400 could easily be the last car you ever need. It was, and still is a triumph. One of the automotive greats, in fact."

just a little something I saw today trawling there :thumbsup:

Malc

Annoyingly, on my regular dog walk, a guy has a V reg LS400 which means I get to covet it on most days. I think I've also mentioned in the past that another local person has an X reg 400, he said he bought it from new and it has never gone wrong!  Whatever anyone may say, apart from possibly the earlier VW beetle, there really isn't a more reliable car out there, and just as importantly, it's still silent luxury!  Apart from a 69 Chevy, the only cars I've ever stupidly regretted selling have been Lexus.  

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty well covered all the bases with that review most of those  problems appeared and were remedied on my Mark 1 over 23 years none appeared on my Mark 4 over 22 years which shows how good Lexus are at improving the design and quality of components.

It as to be said though that this car was in production and development for seventeen years all models succeeding the LS400 have never been in production for much more than half of that.

17 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Pretty well covered all the bases with that review most of those  problems appeared and were remedied on my Mark 1 over 23 years none appeared on my Mark 4 over 22 years which shows how good Lexus are at improving the design and quality of components.

It as to be said though that this car was in production and development for seventeen years all models succeeding the LS400 have never been in production for much more than half of that.

You can't really count the time spent on development before release as all models have that.
They were developing the LS430 at least 4 years before it's release in 2000. It just happened in parallel with production of the LS400 Mk4.
In terms of the production of the models, for LS400 the Mk1 89-92, Mk2 92-94, Mk3 94-97, Mk4 97-00, (total 11 years) and for LS430 the Mk1 00-03 and Mk2 04-06, (total 6 years) each Mark had a production run of 2-4 years, and the same holds true for the 460/600 (Mk1-3, total 10 years) and the 500 (Mk1-2, 4 years so far).

Every generation is in one respect or another an improvement on the previous. It all depends on what you want from a car and how much you are willing to spend on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

It all depends on what you want from a car and how much you are willing to spend on it.

including if you want all that darn fandangled electronic wizadry that's proven to need attention at some time later in life .........:whistling:

I'm a relatively simple soul at heart ! .......  enjoy my tape deck and CDs especially :wink3:

Malc

Unlike that olde-worlde wizardry like cassette tape decks that eat cassette tapes up and spit them out and CD players that seize up. <LOL>
A lot of the modern electronics in cars is so reliable that it outlasts the vehicle, but there are a few items that fail, especially those that used early versions of lead-free solder on their circuit boards like in the late LS400s and LS430/460/600s. All electro-mechanical systems will also eventually fail if only due to wear and tear. The biggest problem with more modern cars is that there is so much additional equipment that there is bound to be more going wrong.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links