Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to open an RX450h

Hi,

hope you can please help. 

I’m trying to open our RX450h that hasn’t been used for a few months. It’s a 2018 model (new shape). 

it was serviced 5 months ago and had a new Battery installed. The Battery has been on trickle charge and I can see the trickle charge unit inside the car reporting the Battery is green and healthy….so I know the car Battery is good. 

the fob LED flashes red when I press unlock, but doesn’t unlock. The usual keyless entry unlock doesn’t work either. 

the manual says that after a while you need to reset the key fob by holding down lock and pressing unlock twice and the fob flashes four times. This doesn’t happen, and instead the LED just continually flashes when the lock button is held down. 

we’ve tried manually unlocking the car, but although I can insert the key and twist it behind the door handle, the door catch doesn’t lift or unlock. 

can anyone please offer any advice as to how we open the car?

I love the anti theft measures, but they’re a pain when you can’t even get into your own car….

11 minutes ago, GD1 said:

we’ve tried manually unlocking the car, but although I can insert the key and twist it behind the door handle, the door catch doesn’t lift or unlock. 

The manual lock can get quite stiff due to lack of use. After all, who would choose to use it when we have the fobs and the alarm? 

I've read that some people have had to resort to using a pair of pliers to give extra 'oomph' so I think this is maybe what's happening here. You're not actually turning the key enough to operate the lock. You need to be brave and try harder.

Of course, I take no responsibility if it all goes Pete Tong and I can't be held responsible for anything unless my suggestion works and then I'll take the credit :laughing:

• Like 1

The fob has power, so I don’t think it needs replacing. 

regarding the manual method - I’m thinking this is the issue. I’m worried if I push it harder I’ll snap the key as I can feel the metal starting to flex and twist. 

37 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I've read that some people have had to resort to using a pair of pliers to give extra 'oomph' so I think this is maybe what's happening here. You're not actually turning the key enough to operate the lock. You need to be brave and try harder.

Of course, I take no responsibility if it all goes Pete Tong and I can't be held responsible for anything unless my suggestion works and then I'll take the credit :laughing:

When my NX Battery went flat, I couldn’t get it open using the key either. When Lexus Assist (AA) turned up, he said there was a knack to it - which was basically brute force! It did open in the end, but I wasn’t brave enough to force it…at least if he’d snapped the key it would have been down to them to fix it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GD1 said:

The fob has power, so I don’t think it needs replacing. 

regarding the manual method - I’m thinking this is the issue. I’m worried if I push it harder I’ll snap the key as I can feel the metal starting to flex and twist. 

If it was me I’d call whichever of the roadside assist organisations you are a member of and let them sort it out. Assuming you have Home Start anyway. If not, and if you haven’t used the car in ages, you could simply sign up leave it a few days and then call them out…

Have you considered using a small amount of penetrating oil on the key and to gradually work the key in lock so it frees off somewhat, without using great force?  I have done this but not on a Lexus.  If you do try this be careful you don't get the penetrating oil on the paintwork which might affect it.

As Barry has said pop into Halfords / Asda you name it and get a can of GT 80 and squirt a bit into the lock, put in your key and give it a good wiggle ( in out shake it all about) and the if needed a little help (little) with a pair of pliers.

Doubt very much that it will effect the paint myself. 

I would beware of squirting oil or other liquid lubricants into the lock.  Much better to use Graphite Powder . Cheap and will last you for years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kasp-K30050-Graphite-Powder/dp/B00BTOBHH6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=19HPJR8R3KV3P&keywords=graphite%2Blubricant%2Bfor%2Blocks&qid=1638182460&sprefix=graphite%2Blubricant%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-5&th=1

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lydiamight said:

I would beware of squirting oil or other liquid lubricants into the lock.  Much better to use Graphite Powder . Cheap and will last you for years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kasp-K30050-Graphite-Powder/dp/B00BTOBHH6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=19HPJR8R3KV3P&keywords=graphite%2Blubricant%2Bfor%2Blocks&qid=1638182460&sprefix=graphite%2Blubricant%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-5&th=1

Quite agree with your suggestion Ray, (or use a powdered PTFE (equally good))

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links