Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres

Lexiguy

I have just put two new rear tyres fitted to the back of my SC430. Winter is upon us and we had a fair dusting of snow today. 

I was recommended to stay on 18's and the same tyres. I wonder what other people run on and how prices compare in other places?

IMG-20211127-WA0005.thumb.jpg.2067e228021dd5d7aefad549db90bfe5.jpg20211127_210034.thumb.jpg.c0aa83b02fe71c4c4d076264e2472add.jpg

245 40 18 on standard rims is best. Michelin Pilot Sport is a very good if not the best choice. 👍  .....except for snow.🙂

In the snow the SC is going to need winter tyres of course.

Front 245 35 19 on 8.5" and rear 285 30 19 on 10" or 10.5" rims would be my ideal set up. The handling is transformed but the ride comfort is compromised, even with the best aftermarket suspension set up.

59 minutes ago, Neil E said:

245 40 18 on standard rims is best. Michelin Pilot Sport is a very good if not the best choice. 👍  .....except for snow.🙂

In the snow the SC is going to need winter tyres of course.

Front 245 35 19 on 8.5" and rear 285 30 19 on 10" or 10.5" rims would be my ideal set up. The handling is transformed but the ride comfort is compromised, even with the best aftermarket suspension set up.

Hi Neil 

Thanks for your reply and it gives me confidence that I made the right choice. 

Yes I contemplated putting it onto 19's because of how it would improve handling but because of the appalling roads and speed humps up here it would compromise the comfort too much.

I am considering some spacers for the rear wheels to bring them out and fill the arches better. I wonder if anyone has any experience of using them?

4 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

It appears that there are different types and thicknesses of spaces but little information out there about the right thickness or best ones (or even adequate ones!)

I haven't looked into spacers for the SC as I have wide wheels that fill out the slightly wider arches on my non-standard car but would say it's best to go to a trusted supplier for the spacers. (I think the GS has Japspeed hub-centric spacers)

The size should be fairly easy to determine with a little careful measuring of the distance between your tyres and the wheel arches as they are now. 

This calculator helps with after market rims and different offsets.

• Thanks 1

I have used dirensa +25 mm fronts and + 30 mm rears, some say you can go to 40 mm rears they cost roughly £170 for 2 sets they are the same alloy Aerospace  as more expensive ones and have had no problems,  I have 2 sets of wheels with 245 x 40 x 18s👍

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Malc said:

just remembering posts on here about changes to standard and having to tell your insurers etc

Malc

Super unleaded is supposed to increase performance but I don't tell my insurance when I use it🙄

• Haha 1

I shouldn't be too flippant ..........  the insurers won't not pay a claim with the wrong petrol being used .........  they might well do so with non-standard tyres/wheels that haven't been agreed by them specifically ....... up to you to decide what you want to do or risk of course :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Malc said:

I shouldn't be too flippant ..........  the insurers won't not pay a claim with the wrong petrol being used .........  they might well do so with non-standard tyres/wheels that haven't been agreed by them specifically ....... up to you to decide what you want to do or risk of course :whistling:

Malc

Yes indeed, one my previous insurers ran out of room on their mod list form for the SC430.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/12/2021 at 4:53 PM, Malc said:

Malc

Apologies Malc not trying to be flippant but insurance assesors do not in general scrutinise cars for add ons imo its any excuse to increase your policy, I own a Rav 4 diesel which has had a ecu chip fitted for 15 years and it has had 12 services  at main dealers and 3 independents and no one has noticed it has one 🤔 

12 hours ago, Localhero said:

and no one has noticed it has one 🤔 

why would they be bothered .  it's only when the crap hits the fan and someone starts investigating ways to get out of taking responsibility and liability ...  like when you, heaven forbid, have an accident ..  that they will want to wriggle and find a way to NOT help you

Malc

Yes guys, I suppose you are right, an owner needs to inform their insurance company of any modification from standard spec or they would probably have a legal right to disallow any claim.

I am not looking forward to that conversation as it could potentially be a long list! 

Although there should be some kind of common sense approach to modifications which do not have a significant impact on performance or cost.

For example brake and lighting upgrades will improve safety and may stop an insurer having an accident and potential claim. 

Should I make that call now or do I stay stum? 🤐 me thinks!

20211030_185951.thumb.jpg.59e3599b25c40d9604e36eb2aef580b4.jpg20211002_165254.thumb.jpg.586f9e53f09334e3e95094c28d8515c9.jpg

20210901_164341.thumb.jpg.1cd80d0b1e3677fe3ffb5fe0d4ae7126.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 2:07 AM, Neil E said:

up to you to decide what you want to do or risk of course :whistling:

Malc

as I said before .......  wait till the sh..t hits the fan and it might be a tad too late ..............  sadly I wouldn't trust insurers as far as I could throw them !

Malc

Usually they will only charge a premium if the modification enhances the performance in some way so I would say it's best to let them know and hope there's no extra charge. Some insurers will refuse cover if the car has mods as they just aren't able to cover the risk on some policies.

The brakes ought to be okay as they are the same size and designed to be direct replacements for the car.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neil E said:

Usually they will only charge a premium if the modification enhances the performance in some way so I would say it's best to let them know and hope there's no extra charge. Some insurers will refuse cover if the car has mods as they just aren't able to cover the risk on some policies.

The brakes ought to be okay as they are the same size and designed to be direct replacements for the car.  

At one point insurers were charging for bullbars on a car, what is a mod? Upgraded bulbs ? Different wheelnuts or valves? Luggage rack? 3d number plates, different aerial? Ss exhaust? Upgraded audio? Then there are some very dubious performance mods! K&N filters £35 tuning boxes off eBay, different sparkplugs, coil overs, stabilisers, these will improve handling! Surely a good thing but not necessarily, performance!! end of rant😇

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Localhero said:

end of rant

momentarily .....  insurers cause us to rant and rave a lot these days ...  often they demand unreasonably, some dopey and costly excuses to charge us for silly things .......  and I'm quite certain that will never change

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1