Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting a CATLOC

Jgmm

I bought this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-CT200-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-ANTI-THEFT-PLATE-3MM-LOCKING-NUT-BOLTS-/254756479381?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 I got a mate to fit it for me. I came with locking bolts and is a decent thickness unlike some of the others I'd seen. If you're after the genuine Lexus one, you will pay a lot more, but it's personal choice I guess. If you search there are previous threads discussing them.

It all depends!

Are you handy with a spanner and can you raise the car off the ground and keep it there safely to allow access?

Fitting is just a case of getting it in the right place and doing up a few nuts.

If you cannot get the car high enough up on axle stands then it will be difficult to manoeuvre the plate into place (a genuine CatLoc plate is heavy and awkward) and you have to hold some of the bolts in place whilst tightening the shear nuts. Some Lexus garages will fit one for a reasonable sum, try contacting one local to you.

If you do fit it yourself then make sure it is in the correct position and rattle free before taking the final step of shearing the security nuts.

Once the vehicle is high enough, they are fairly simple to fit.

Just take it into Lexus their, catloc is the best around, comes with window sticker and the cat is marked and registered for identification.

The Identification doesn't make it less likely to get stolen but it does show it was illegally obtained should the receivers get pulled 😃

I have not yet heard of a cat being stolen from a CT with Lexus catloc fitted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Poundy said:

Just take it into Lexus their, catloc is the best around, comes with window sticker and the cat is marked and registered for identification.

The Identification doesn't make it less likely to get stolen but it does show it was illegally obtained should the receivers get pulled 😃

I have not yet heard of a cat being stolen from a CT with Lexus catloc fitted.

A Lexus Catloc is definitely the way to go for piece of mind! 👍🏽

My thanks to all for the very helpful comments. I attempted to purchase the recommended item directly from the catloc people. They advised that I have to purchase and have fitted by Lexus. I haven’t found anywhere else to purchase and I’m not going for any substitute of which there are many. Am I stuck with this as it’s probably seriously expensive.

7 minutes ago, Jgmm said:

Am I stuck with this as it’s probably seriously expensive.

Ah! But is it?

You should consider it as being an investment akin to a burglar alarm system.

Given sufficient privacy and the power tools, a determined thief would probably cut out the cats anyway.  And not care about all the associated and expensive collateral damage in the process.

So since that cost would far exceed the cost of a potentially effective deterrent, then the expense is only relative.  The real consideration, I suggest, is how realistic is the possibility of such a criminal attack in the first place.  

If it gives you something less to worry about, then paying for the best you can afford is surely worthwhile.  Just don’t think of it as wasted money if no-one ever tries to steal your cats!

2 hours ago, Jgmm said:

My thanks to all for the very helpful comments. I attempted to purchase the recommended item directly from the catloc people. They advised that I have to purchase and have fitted by Lexus. I haven’t found anywhere else to purchase and I’m not going for any substitute of which there are many. Am I stuck with this as it’s probably seriously expensive.

Hi John, 

Have you checked at your nearest Lexus Dealer to see how much they would charge for a genuine Catloc to be fitted and marked? All you then need to do is affix the warning stickers on your driver's and front passenger windows. Then follow the instructions to register on the ISR (International security register). It's all in the pack. I paid £295 initially at Lexus Birmingham for mine. The price had dropped to £250. So the dealership gave me a refund by filling up my car with petrol! Seriously for the piece of mind best to get the dealer to supply & fit. Just shop around for prices around franchise dealers. I think they should all be fairly similar. Its far better than the alternative. 👍🏽

Len, you are absolutely right.  I was considering fitting it myself but considering your point and the hassle of perhaps my making a complete dogs breakfast of it, I will talk to the dealership. 

• Like 1