Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do Lexus charge for a Loan car ?

e-yes

Hi,

My ES is due for Year-1 servicing soon.

I got the notification via email. I tried to book an appointment via the Lexus Link app.

I noticed that Lexus are charging £15 for a loan car while booking for servicing via the app. For now I have booked a Collection & Delivery option on a weekend for which there is no charge somehow.

What do the rest of the members recommend ? IIRC while I had the BMW they used to charge a small fee for a loan car too. Audi didn't charge for the loan car but they used to loan out a manual A1 😕 

I have booked a Collection and Delivery but having second thoughts. Should I simply drop and pick it up myself ? What sort of cars do Lexus loan out usually ?

Cheers,

--E

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Hi,

I got the notification via email. I tried to book an appointment via the Lexus Link app.

I noticed that Lexus are charging £15 for a loan car while booking for servicing via the app. For now I have booked a Collection & Delivery option on a weekend for which there is no charge somehow.

What do the rest of the members recommend ? IIRC while I had the BMW they used to charge a small fee for a loan car too. Audi didn't charge for the loan car but they used to loan out a manual A1 😕 

I have booked a Collection and Delivery but having second thoughts. Should I simply drop and pick it up myself ? What sort of cars do Lexus loan out usually ?

Cheers,

--E

I think the charge is to cover insurance, but when having a service I’ve also been offered loan cars for free by Lexus (but not always). Believe there may be an option to take the loan car for free with a high excess if the worst should happen, or pay the small charge for a low (or zero, can’t remember) excess. I’ve always dropped off and collected myself at Lexus Swindon.

In terms of the cars offered, over the past few years (owning an NX) I’ve had a UX, IS, GS, RC and RX! Never had a CT or ES. 

• Thanks 1

Definitely for Insurance cover, no charge for the car itself.    Be aware though that the insurance premium may still hold you liable for the excess should you damage the car or even if a third party car collides with you.    Warranty claims are different however as the loan car is covered by the dealer incl insurance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, SH20 said:

Warranty claims are different however as the loan car is covered by the dealer incl insurance

^^ That explains why I’ve been charged on some occasions but not others. Makes sense now you say it.

I had agreed to pay £15ish (or was it £10?) for insurance cover when I took my IS in for its ill-fated fuel pump recall. I wasn't prompted to pay it, but as I bought the car which they'd loaned me, I'm guessing they let me off which was rather nice of them. 

• Haha 2

It also depends on your relationship with the dealer, I booked my service in advance and asked for a loan car, they had 5 UXs (One electric) and one RX, they wanted me to pay £15 a day or just under, I can't remember. At the end, I convinced them it should be free, I was getting done Minor service and MOT, also service includes Hybrid check which I paid for 5 weeks before the service - Lexus at that time was not offering service with 1 year warranty at that time, so they agreed to give me a loan car for free to compensate a little my for what I paid for Hybrid Check.

• Like 1

Lexus Reading only charge the £15 as an insurance waiver against the excess, which would otherwise be £1000.  As such, I was told it was optional and the car itself was free.

Also, as others have said, if your car is in for warranty work then the £15 isn't charge as the warranty company will pick up the tab.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bounce75 said:

I was given a free loan car for my Sat Nav update an NX model, but when I had my first service I was charged £12 for insurance & was given a UX that time.

First time I hear a courtesy car costs money. 

1 hour ago, DBIZO said:

First time I hear a courtesy car costs money. 

I thought it was unusual as Volvo used to give me one FOC, I did mention this & was told to remind them next time & they will let me have it FOC.

22 hours ago, e-yes said:

Hi,

Cheers,

--E

Beware though - this could cost you dearly - there has been incidences where a loan car has turned into a purchase of a new car 😀

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Beware though - this could cost you dearly - there has been incidences where a loan car has turned into a purchase of a new car 😀

I do infrequently fantasise about an RX (but never while driving my ES).

However all things considered, I don't think there is anything to beat the comfort and economy of an ES in the current Lexus lineup. It is a very fine balance of everything.. a perfect 42.

Cheers,

--E

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

If a loan car isn’t really needed and it’s just a means of getting home from the dealer, I’ve been offered a pick up and drop off service for £10. They usually pick your car up leaving a cheap Toyota and bring yours back when ready. The Toyota isn’t available to use though. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, Vlady said:

It also depends on your relationship with the dealer, I booked my service in advance and asked for a loan car, they had 5 UXs (One electric) and one RX, they wanted me to pay £15 a day or just under, I can't remember. At the end, I convinced them it should be free, I was getting done Minor service and MOT, also service includes Hybrid check which I paid for 5 weeks before the service - Lexus at that time was not offering service with 1 year warranty at that time, so they agreed to give me a loan car for free to compensate a little my for what I paid for Hybrid Check.

The decision is that of the individual Dealer and will depend upon a number of factors which are covered by the answers to this thread. I believe that as Vlad has said a good relationship with the Dealer is crucial as without that he is unlikely to give something for nothing.

If every time one walks into the Dealership sporting a happy smiling face then in my view "one is a goal up without the ball having been kicked."

• Like 2

Surprised at this, even experience with the local Ford dealer has provided free courtesy vehicles for many years. Sets a very poor image what had been mentioned.

Just now, Cs150 said:

Surprised at this, even experience with the local Ford dealer has provided free courtesy vehicles for many years. Sets a very poor image what had been mentioned.

Yes Carl, it is surprising how many People and Organisations have no idea how to effect good customer service. Organisations do not of themselves make decisions it is the individual people throughout which do that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The decision is that of the individual Dealer and will depend upon a number of factors which are covered by the answers to this thread. I believe that as Vlad has said a good relationship with the Dealer is crucial as without that he is unlikely to give something for nothing.

If every time one walks into the Dealership sporting a happy smiling face then in my view "one is a goal up without the ball having been kicked."

I think that yourself and Vlad have summed this dealer/customer relationship up very well.  It’s too easy to overlook the fact that loyalty is a two-way street.  I suspect that my current good relations with Lexus MK (have I mentioned them before?) may stem from the fact that I have prepaid with Service Plans as a matter of convenience for me.

As others have described, I’ve had loan cars for a nominal charge and used the collection/delivery service if it was more convenient for me  - despite being some 30 miles away.

My last service, early this year, was different because I’d left it too late to arrange a loan.  So I had resigned myself to a wait in the Showroom with coffee and biscuits - my needs are modest.  

However, I got into conversation with another customer who was then approached by a sales lad who was trying to interest him in a newer ES.  There then followed a very entertaining tour of the offerings outside, which resulted in my new chum deciding he was happy with his ES - and confirmed that I already had the best Lexus for my needs - which was ready to go by the time we strolled back into the Showroom.

Obviously, none of this would compensate for inadequacies in the actual service and I should add that my Honda dealer was just as welcoming.  

Maybe it’s a Milton Keynes thing?  😊

• Like 1

My RX was booked into Lexus Preston for its annual service and MOT and they gave me a UX300e for the afternoon. No mention of money was made at all.

• Like 1

I purchased my used RX from Lexus Cheltenham.  As I drove from Devon for the first service they provided me with a near new NX for the day thereby enabling me to visit my sister in Stroud.  There was no charge made and in view of the distance from N Devon filled my RX with petrol at no cost.  A year later they provided a near new UX but charged £15 as my insurance didn't cover it.  Also, there was no fuel for the RX this time.  The 3rd service I didn't bother with a courtesy car because the space in the UX provided the previous  year was so miniscule that it was very difficult to fit my sister and her husband and my wife and myself in it. (Instead, by arrangement we arrived very early at Lexus and wandered off for lunch and collected my car early and visited my sister on the way home having taken them to dinner before leaving for home. I plan to do this again this year but this is the last time I will be using Lexus Cheltenham or possibly any Lexus dealer for service.  

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I purchased my used RX from Lexus Cheltenham.  As I drove from Devon for the first service they provided me with a near new NX for the day thereby enabling me to visit my sister in Stroud.  There was no charge made and in view of the distance from N Devon filled my RX with petrol at no cost.  A year later they provided a near new UX but charged £15 as my insurance didn't cover it.  Also, there was no fuel for the RX this time.  The 3rd service I didn't bother with a courtesy car because the space in the UX provided the previous  year was so miniscule that it was very difficult to fit my sister and her husband and my wife and myself in it. (Instead, by arrangement we arrived very early at Lexus and wandered off for lunch and collected my car early and visited my sister on the way home having taken them to dinner before leaving for home. I plan to do this again this year but this is the last time I will be using Lexus Cheltenham or possibly any Lexus dealer for service.  

Beware of the local garage Barry !😊