Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do Lexus charge for a Loan car ?

e-yes

10 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

….but this is the last time I will be using Lexus Cheltenham or possibly any Lexus dealer for service.  

I’m clearly missing something obvious here, Barry, but I don’t really see what it was about the Lexus dealer that would justify entrusting the service to a non-Lexus dealer.

Like John, I would have thought the quality of the Service would have been the most important factor.  As I understand it, you were annoyed that a smaller car was offered so on the next occasion opted for an arrangement to have the car serviced early - an arrangement satisfactory enough to choose to repeat it..

I’m not knowledgeable as to the economics of running a large Dealership, but I can imagine that the profit margins on a standard Service don’t really support running a comprehensive loan car fleet.  I would be interested to know, however, what prevents them from offering the use of one of the more suitable used cars that seem to decorate all of their forecourts.

Is it any more difficult to arrange than an extended test drive?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LenT said:

I would be interested to know, however, what prevents them from offering the use of one of the more suitable used cars that seem to decorate all of their forecourts.

Is it any more difficult to arrange than an extended test drive?

With the changes in VED, where the tax is automatically cancelled on transfer of ownership, none of the dealer's used car stock will have a valid RFL (tax disc as was).

• Like 1

From reading the ES service intervals the minor appears to be just an oil change and visual inspection. At £300 give or take a courtesy vehicle without additional charge must leave the dealer still with a good margin. Especially when a casual scan of the web for Lexus technician salaries is not exactly very high. The margin must be higher than many other industries. The local Ford dealer offers a minor service for £179 plus 12 months manufacturer sponsored breakdown cover and free courtesy vehicle. A dealer representing a premium brand like Lexus should not be offering less 

• 4 weeks later...

Originally, Lexus dealers didn't ask for payment for car loans.

Well, since about 2015 when the licences went card-only, it costs them about £10 to check your driving licence is valid if you just turn up with it, and to see how many points are on it.  However, I've always found if I offer them a code from here:

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

they don't have to pay for that and they never charge for the loaner.

They won't ask for you to  bring a code though, because they know it will just cause problems - easier to ask for you to pay for it by saying it's for insurance.

: o )

3 hours ago, scythe said:

Originally, Lexus dealers didn't ask for payment for car loans.

Well, since about 2015 when the licences went card-only, it costs them about £10 to check your driving licence is valid if you just turn up with it, and to see how many points are on it.  However, I've always found if I offer them a code from here:

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

they don't have to pay for that and they never charge for the loaner.

They won't ask for you to  bring a code though, because they know it will just cause problems - easier to ask for you to pay for it by saying it's for insurance.

: o )

That's interesting.  I think Lexus just noted my driving licence but definitely said charge was for Insurance as was not covered by mine for another vehicle at the time.

It's a long way from Devon to Cheltenham but I did not mind the journey as I could visit my sister at Stroud on the way home.  However, my service does not necessarily coincide with when it is convenient to meet my sister who with her husband travel abroad  quite a lot.  So I may get my next service at Lexus Exeter which is 'only' a round trip of 100 miles or so. This ends the 2 year extended warranty I took out.  Of course it makes sense to get Lexus to check the traction Battery annually but for a 2015 car the service charge, with Relax is high and the cover is not very comprehensive with lots of 'get outs'.  Furthermore, Lexus Cheltenham, and I believe other franchises,  no longer do the  'Essential  Service' for older cars.  I may in future use recommended Toyotec in Redhill, Surrey, which is reasonably near my daughter and family with whom I stay a few days 2 or 3 times a year.  I might take out a policy to cover major items, something to consider next year after the Relax cover ends.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Cs150 said:

If it is connected to the driving licence check. Why is it not charged on test drives?

Could it be because one is accompanied on a test drive? has anyone taken a prolonged (weekend)  test drive and did the dealer do a license check and request one to sign an insurance form?

On 7/2/2022 at 6:32 PM, NemesisUK said:

Could it be because one is accompanied on a test drive? has anyone taken a prolonged (weekend)  test drive and did the dealer do a license check and request one to sign an insurance form?

Yes have had extended test drives in the past where a copy of my driving license was taken and I had to sign an insurance declaration. 

Indeed it was a 24 hour test drive in 2017 that introduced me to Lexus.