Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HELP! Parking sensor problems?

Hi, 

I recently brought a 2014 Lexus IS300 F Sport, I have a few issues (well I think these are issues)

1. When I press the Parking Assist button when in ‘D’ (drive) mode, I get this long beep. And this sign comes up. Red bar with white lines. However, when I put in reverse it disappears and the parking sensors seem to work. Is this faulty? I thought it’s only meant to beep when it detects objects? Also, this sign is not in the owners manual. So I’m so confused. 

2. How do I automatically enable parking assist when I put it in reverse. I’ve looked through the settings and I can’t see it anywhere. I don’t want to keep pressing the parking assist button and if I do I get the problem as mentioned above. 

14778284-1EF8-4C30-BB02-49030F46BC5F.jpeg

I would imagine that the red bar with white lines is the icon for "STOP NOW!!" and I would hazard a guess that the sensors at the front either need cleaning or maybe even replacing, because they seem to think you're almost up against an object.

Once you've got those sorted then you'll be able to activate Park Assist and just leave it on to come into play automatically when needed.

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

I would imagine that the red bar with white lines is the icon for "STOP NOW!!" and I would hazard a guess that the sensors at the front either need cleaning or maybe even replacing, because they seem to think you're almost up against an object.

Once you've got those sorted then you'll be able to activate Park Assist and just leave it on to come into play automatically when needed.

Turn on the parking sensors on the dashboard push button switch and you should get the green tree symbol in the dash lit. As you approach an obstacle (at low speed) you start and get the beeps and yellow lines which turn to red lines and a continous tone when very close. The symbol you show is the one that you are very close to something directly in front of the car (there are similar side indications that can appear too). If this is on and there is no obstruction try cleaning the bumper and grill area where the sensors are. If no luck with that sounds like a sensor fault. Regards reverse the same happens - as you approach an object you'll get yellow lines on the display and beeps and then red lines and continuous tone when very close. Not all trim grades had parking sensors front and rear though so make sure you can see the sensors in the rear bumper to see if they are fitted. 

There are 4 parking sensors on the front. If you put earplugs in and ignore the racket and the big red bar (which is shared between the inner two sensors), do you get markers on the screen showing up from the two front corner sensors if objects or people get close to either front corner? Perhaps put something close to the other two sensors, a wheelie bin works well, and see if they're working properly.

If the outer two work as expected, the control unit's probably OK and assuming the wiring is fine, it could be either or both inner sensors dirty or defective. 

Step one - check for dirty and or obviously damaged (stone chipped etc.) sensors - free and almost no effort.

Step two - check the front number plate and the support plinth. Muck can build up behind the number plate and mounting, especially if the number plate is screwed rather than stuck on for some reason, and the sensors seem to be able to 'see' this wet muck and interpret it as a close object. Try taking the front number plate and its plinth off and see whether the sensors miraculously behave. If they do, clean everything up and I'd recommend using the double-sided foam stickers to hold the number plate to the plinth rather than screws.

If neither of these things get you anywhere, you're probably into taking the front bumper off and swapping one or both sensors. If you have access to Techstream or a good code/live data reader, it might tell you which one is giving false readings.