Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1996 LS400 PIONEER RADIO ILLUMINATION REPAIR QUESTION

I noticed recently that the Power/Volume knob is not illuminated, although the other controls light up correctly.

I dismantled the unit, expecting to see a small bulb that could easily be replaced, but no such luck.  What I found is a number of VERY small bulbs which seem to be part of the PCB, although I must admit I haven't tried to remove the culprit.  This is the bulb in question:

P1070531.thumb.JPG.b1c8b06c3372f944bf1f23b121b5e080.JPG

Has anyone any experience of replacing these? Can they even be replaced, or do I just live with it?

I have looked at the parts websites but the only show completed components.

16 hours ago, Howplum said:

I noticed recently that the Power/Volume knob is not illuminated, although the other controls light up correctly.

I dismantled the unit, expecting to see a small bulb that could easily be replaced, but no such luck.  What I found is a number of VERY small bulbs which seem to be part of the PCB, although I must admit I haven't tried to remove the culprit.  This is the bulb in question:

P1070531.thumb.JPG.b1c8b06c3372f944bf1f23b121b5e080.JPG

Has anyone any experience of replacing these? Can they even be replaced, or do I just live with it?

I have looked at the parts websites but the only show completed components.

The bulb in question is likely a universal size rated at a voltage varying in relation to where it is located within the display this can be anything from 4.5v to 12v I have some bulbs that were sent with my new A/C lcd board on my Mark1 but were not used You simply solder them to the exiting terminals and swop over the green hood. I will send you a couple, PM me with your address.

_B308132.JPG

_B308133.JPG

• Like 5

Unfortunately the micro bulbs Phil kindly sent me were slightly too big. Having removed the green cover and measured the bulb as best I can it would appear to be only 3mm wide and 6mm long - really small:

Zooming in on these pictures I will need a steady hand and a good magnifying glass:

1835108105_Radiobulb1.thumb.jpg.09d82f90452875fb727f6013f77809a1.jpg337716485_Radiobulb2.thumb.jpg.abeb4145e47a2d776bd0832b622beb3e.jpg

I have ordered some replacements from eBay, and I suppose the worst that can happen is that I still have no working light.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• 2 weeks later...

It turned out that three of the micro bulbs were not working.

Firstly I removed the faulty bulbs by gently levering them off the board. Notice the pads of solder.

P1070546.thumb.JPG.7caadf1c9260c108909015754ff9912a.JPG

The next step was to replace the bulb in the holder. This is fiddly, but the wires have to be straightened so that the bulb can just be pulled out. Replacement is the reverse of this process, although the wires, which hold the bulb inside the plastic holder, will have to trimmed to fit.

P1070547.thumb.JPG.704775abd7364bc9be31ebef6c9da096.JPG

After that is just(!) a case of soldering the bulbs back onto the board.

P1070548.thumb.JPG.d2a87c97178a0e917788dd09a837f21d.JPG

Unfortunately I can't test my handiwork because the audio unit doesn't work at all now, as mentioned in my other topic about adding an auxiliary socket.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links