Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1994 GS300 needs a new home but will need help getting there!

Hi all,

My father-in-law passed away last week at the ripe old age of 95 and his pride and joy was his GS300 that he had had since 1998.  It last passed its MOT in Apr 2019 (113k) and missed its renewal opportunity due to the dreaded lurgy.  Due to ill health, the car was SORNed in October last year and has sat outside the house ever since.  It's looking rather sorry for itself (and it looks as if someone has tried - unsuccessfully - to jemmy the top of the driver's door open!) but I am told that the engine, in particular, may be of interest to others who appreciate this model and vintage.

The purpose of this post is simply to understand if that is the case!  The car is just above top centre of the M25 and can be easily viewed externally.  Internal inspection will require a little planning as I don't want to trouble the ladies of the house with such matters at this sensitive time and I live a few miles away.

Please respond with any interest and, if you would like further info, I may well have it as he kept meticulous records and a box full of receipts and booklets etc.

Thanks

Hello Andrew.

I’m sure everyone here appreciates the sensitivity of your situation and will extend their condolences.

As for the car, may I suggest that posting a few photographs and noting basic details, such as mileage, may be helpful  for attracting potential interest.

PS.  Just realised you’d actually mentioned the mileage!

We're going over tomorrow morning so will take some photos of the outside.  I doubt that the mileage has increased since the 113k recorded at the MOT but, if the odometer is an old-fashioned mechanical one that does not require any Battery power to view it, I'll get the current reading, too.

I can't read the odometer as it requires Battery power but it will not be far off the 113,672 last MOT reading as he rarely ventured away from the house in his final years.

I have attached photos showing the current state of the car.  It's a bit grubby on the outside from being underneath bushes but, aside from the ripped driver's window frame (the door shuts in line with the car body so that doesn't appear to be damaged), the bodywork is not bad for 27+ years!  I wasn't able to open the rear doors due to the lack of Battery power and the boot release cable needs freeing off carefully - I didn't want to force it last night.  The original photos are higher res which I can send anyone interested but I didn't want to over-load pictures with this post.

Please let me know of any interest because I know my father-in-law would be delighted to know that someone else was taking it over rather than it simply being scrapped.

Thank you

01-P1140073.JPG

02-P1140074.JPG

03-P1140075.JPG

04-P1140076.JPG

05-P1140077.JPG

06-P1140078.JPG

07-P1140079.JPG

08-P1140080.JPG

09-P1140081.JPG

10-P1140082.JPG

11-P1140083.JPG

12-P1140084.JPG

13-P1140085.JPG

14-P1140087.JPG

15-P1140088.JPG

• Like 2

Andrew, oh my ....... she looks almost puurrrrfect and certainly shouldn't be " scrapped " at least without someone checking out it's feasibilty to get back up and running ........... as the old chap would certainly have wished 

I'm hopeful someone will pop along quite soon to investigate it all and bring some heartening news and views

Best wishes with it all

Malc

do keep us posted on developments

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Omar, yes it is still available. I was hoping I would be able to get across with the petrol and Battery before Xmas but that is looking less and less likely due to other commitments - mainly Xmas-related!

It will obviously make an enormous difference to the ease with which it can be relocated if it can move under its own steam 🙂

I'll update this thread just as soon as I can spare a day to go over there.

In the meantime: seasons greetings one and all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed! When I went over there yesterday, I attached jump leads to an old Battery, turned the key once and the electrics "woke up", turned it a second time and there was the sound of a couple of chugs from under the bonnet (presumably getting the oil moving), turned it a third time and the engine purred into life!  I disconnected the Battery and left it to idle for a while.  I could not believe how quiet the engine was - even with the bonnet open.  I even took a video of it although the automatic volume control of the camera makes it sound quite loud as it was obviously struggling to hear it! Here's the YouTube link.

Later, I turned off the engine, waited a bit and then re-started it - which it did instantly - so the Battery is pretty amazing, too!  I drove it back and forth on the driveway and all was well including the brakes which worked just fine.  I wish my own car [Volvo XC90] was that good!

With electricity, the central locking worked and I was able to open the boot and the rear doors.  The boot lid hydraulic support needs attention as it did not support the weight of the lid at the mid-open position but might that just need the seal reinstating?.

I've added a couple of pics of the inside of the boot - including under the floor mat - and the rear seats through the open door which look pristine.

Also, a pic of the lit dashboard showing the mileage of 114,205.  I had a conversation with a forum member who postulated that the car might have been "clocked" having looked at its MOT history on-line.  I can categorically assure everyone that this is a true figure as the car was originally imported by a director of a company for which my wife managed their finance department and they offered it to her when they wanted to change it after 3 years.  She had it for a few months but it was really too big for her needs so, in March 1998, she passed it on to her father.

So I think I am at the end of the road in terms of describing its current state and I would now like to find a new home for it.

I've just looked on eBay and seen that it is probably worth around £1,000 so may I invite those who are interested to PM me confirming their interest at this sort of level with a view to arranging to see the car for themselves over the next few days?

Thanks, Andrew

2-P1140236.JPG

3-P1140237.JPG

4-P1140238.JPG

1-P1140233.JPG

Andrew hi .  amazing ...  I used a broomstick to prop open my Ls400 bonnet when the struts failed ..  many moons ago now 

Might be underpriced at £1000 methinks ..........  they could be, should be   " biting your arm off "  at that price

Best wishes with it all ......  do keep us in the picture on the outcomes

Malc

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links