Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electrical Failure - 2009 Lexus IS220D

Good afternoon everybody, I've been the happy owner of a Lexus IS220D for almost two years after picking up an 09 plate model from a local garage with only 36,000 miles on the clock and one previous owner who apparently used it to drive to a golf course and back.  Up to now it's been absolutely fine in terms of reliability and I couldn't fault it (apart from the MPG...).  On Tuesday afternoon I tried to start her up and a warning flashed up on the dash saying 'oil maint reqd', fine, it was booked in for an oil service next Wednesday anyway and does have oil in the engine.  I pressed the start button and it spluttered and nothing happened.  Switch off, try again and this time there was no splutter from the engine, but all of the electrics conked out.  No interior lights, no central locking, no light on the start button; it's completely dead!

I've replaced the Battery as the old one was in a pretty sorry state apparently, but this hasn't made any difference.  I've read through various other threads about what seem like similar failures which point to fuses, but having very little mechnical knowledge I'm not sure where to start.  I've located the fusebox next to the Battery and had a flick through manual to learn there are another three fuse boxes dotted around the vehicle.  Before I go through them all one by one, does anybody have any suggestions about what may have caused it and where I should look first, or will it be a case of checking each individual fuse until I hopefully find an inexpensive fuse that needs replacing.

Other threads also pointed toward the fobs, both have new batteries.  As for trying to hook it up to a diagnostic device, my understanding is that with no power this won't work, so I've no way of using OBD or similar to identify the fault.

Thanks in advance for the time taken to read this, and for any assistance offered!

First off I would check your connections at the Battery are sound. Second I would use a multimeter to check your Battery voltage is circa 12 volts & if ok check you've got voltage at your fuse boxes. If you haven't got a multimeter, you can buy one for £9 from Screwfix.

Don’t want to say it but Battery is connected properly isn’t it, some retailers have been known to supply a Battery for the IS with the terminals reversed! And if you are not 100% on the ball it is quite easy to cook your fusible link and end up with an electrically ‘dead’ car.

Thank you both for your responses.

GS300h2014, I'll pick up a multimeter tomorrow and give it a go on Monday.  What should I look out for on the connections to ensure that they're sound?  With a brand new Battery I'd hope that it's 12 volts, but I'll check regardless.

Texas, I did check and the Battery is oriented correctly with the terminals on the side that they need to be.  When I put it in first time round it was back to front as the handle was reversed from the one that I had removed.  The car was dead before I touched the Battery sadly, but a worthwhile tip as it would have been easy to connect erroneously!

Chris,

By sound connections, I meant check the cables are firmly attached to the Battery posts. Check by just trying to rotate or move them by hand. Regarding the 12 volts, you don't want to be at 0% on this chart i.e. circa 10.5 volts.

image.png.a7c6ec9efe5cae45d4c975351693d1f8.png

I would expect your Battery is a wet type.

Just a word of warning about that chart.

I've posted it myself many times because there's no doubt that it's very useful but be aware that it only shows Battery 'standing' voltage, i.e., off load.

If you put a load on it by, say, switching on the headlights, the heated seats, heated rear screen etc., the voltage may drop like a stone if the Battery is faulty. The biggest problem is that a lot of these things will only come on with the ignition. This is OK for the OP because he has a conventional car but for us hybrid owners we'd have to have the car in READY mode and because that activates the charging circuits it would show about 14.5V.

It's best to go to a car accessory shop (and I hate to say this but even Halfords) to ask them to check the Battery for you. They have special testers that simulate a load so you get a truer and more accurate reading.

With what sounds like an initially duff Battery trying to start the car the chances are that this has blown the 150A Alternator fuse.

The fuse box is located within the engine bay and it is fuse number 19 ( see picture below).

You can see if the fuse has blown by looking through it’s clear plastic cover.

Replacement is not straightforward as unlike most fuses it is not a plug in type, the connections are screwed on from underneath the fuse box necessitating it’s removal for access but DIYable with basic tools ( just make sure the Battery is disconnected first)

There are plenty of YouTube videos if you google “Replacing Lexus IS220d alternates fuse”

https://youtu.be/YJUDYrV4gUQ

https://youtu.be/NkXTTrjeSMo

C7808EC9-38E2-4C16-B314-F6021DDD0C15.jpeg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links