Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

Are yours OEM?

How much are the discs from Lexus dealership?

im sure they are OEM, 

Dealership prices will be sky high but lexus parts direct in swindon have them on a deal.

6 minutes ago, Bluethunder said:

If you buy them from autodoc/buycarparts make sure you paint them with some rust treatment before fitting. I had surface rust on mine shortly after fitting.

So you think there could be a difference from OEM? I wonder if the oem replacements even from Lexus may have changed quality wise also.

23 minutes ago, Bluethunder said:

If you buy them from autodoc/buycarparts make sure you paint them with some rust treatment before fitting. I had surface rust on mine shortly after fitting.

Ah **** really…. Can’t be having that!!! 😩😩😩

12 hours ago, Bluethunder said:

Interesting, no problem with mine so far but I do remember others mentioning something about a lack of coating in another thread.

11 hours ago, ISF V8 JAY said:

hould I not bother with the lexus parts direct ones?

you'll likely pay double... up to you really 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Interesting, no problem with mine so far but I do remember others mentioning something about a lack of coating in another thread.

Not a bad price really…..

They are on offer @ £250

my concern was they are drilled rather than vented 

90380E76-8D58-4FDC-8686-DEB9ADBCFC2C.jpeg

23 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

I think it's referring to the coating on the disc bell housing.  Some are suggesting the paint coating on the replacement brembos is not as robust as the one applied to the OEM parts. 

Ive got a set of discs from Autodoc, thought mine might need them so took the plunge, think I paid £260 for all 4 - grooved brembos that look identical to stock.  (and they're still in the garage!!) The centre of the discs have a coating of grey paint, that looks the same as the Lexus ones, if it turns out they need a top up, they'll get a couple off coats of heat resistant paint before fitting.

@Duggie BHave a search for the pads discussion(s) - a few owners have changed (including me ) to EBC red fronts, very happy, less dust, less squealing and initial bite I think is better, obviously very subjective that, but they work very well.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ISF V8 JAY said:

Not a bad price really…..

They are on offer @ £250

my concern was they are drilled rather than vented 

90380E76-8D58-4FDC-8686-DEB9ADBCFC2C.jpeg

Are you sure theyre drilled? From memory,  when I looked on  the site to check out prices, I think I was left with the impression that the discs illustrated weren't necessarily the ones for your model of car. Could be wrong.

Further to my post above. This is also taken from the site and is for GSF discs as part of a set that includes pads. As you can see these are not drilled and I can't see grooves (at least not on my phone). I think that's why I concluded that the pictures are probably random rather than specific to your car.

Ironically, if I remember right, if you buyScreenshot_20211206-193543_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7d223c6cfd39fce7cf9b98818c1bc7b1.jpg discs and pads individually, you get the wear indicator leads included but they do not appear to be included in the set and if anything thevset is a quid or so more!

1 hour ago, Killysprint said:

The wear indicators are included with lexus branded pads.

Yes...as I mentioned the pads on their own have have them, but when bought as a pads/disk set they're not shown as being included.

Be thankful you don't have ceramic brakes? (two examples copied from another forum)

"Just for information only ,,To purchase , and fit , 4 ceramic brake discs, and pads to the Aston Martin Vantage would just cost you £26000 pounds"

"Mercedes AMG-GTS
Front ceramic disks £6709.90
Front ceramic pads. £374.40
Rear ceramic disks. £6528.60
Rear ceramic pads. £368.40
Labour ??"

• Confused 1

would be interesting to find out how many sets of discs (and pads) have been fitted - not under warranty.

I ran a 996 Turbo S for 50ish thousand miles from 2005 -10, which had early gen Ceramics fitted as std. When I sold it there was minimal wear to either the discs or pads. Expected life for the pads was at least 100k miles at the time, I remember pricing them up at the time pads were £400ish and discs £2500 a pop. Seems even though with increases in manufacturing process efficiency and economy of scale (more cars fitted with ceramics) that prices haven't changed that much....  they were epic though, once warm.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pielight said:

Yes...as I mentioned the pads on their own have have them, but when bought as a pads/disk set they're not shown as being included.

They will come with them - Lexus don't sell discs and pads as a set, the dealer is just putting multiple products together - the pads will come with the sensors.

But don't buy these, the stock pads are horrible for road use and too expensive.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 9:06 PM, ColinBarber said:

They will come with them - Lexus don't sell discs and pads as a set, the dealer is just putting multiple products together - the pads will come with the sensors.

But don't buy these, the stock pads are horrible for road use and too expensive.

Thanks...I did wonder if they did that and had just omitted to mention the sensors for the set. 

I don't know fot sure what pads are in my GSF (I bought it at 19k miles so presumably at 30500 with around 4mm remaining they aren't original) but they work as well as I could want for road use although they chuck out a lot of dust.

What pads would you use Colin? EBC reds are recommended by some owners. When you said not to buy these, were you referring to just the pads or the discs as well? Cheers

12 hours ago, Pielight said:

What pads would you use Colin? EBC reds are recommended by some owners. When you said not to buy these, were you referring to just the pads or the discs as well? Cheers

I wouldn't recommend the Lexus pads because they can squeal and create a lot of dust. If you wanted to stick with Lexus genuine parts then you could go with the alternative pads that were made available for the RC F that some people had replaced under a TSB to stop squealing but for some reason Lexus GB didn't extend the TSB to the GS F (you just shouldn't put the car on a track with the alternative pads).

Personally I switched to EBC Red when I had my GS F, mainly to get rid of the low speed squeal but the lower dust was welcome as was the cost saving.

Nothing wrong with the Lexus discs, other than price. The brembo aftermarket ones seem to be of the same quality as OEM, other than the anti-rust coating which has possibly been improved since Bluethunder purchased some (or there are different parts; some with and some without coatings).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pielight said:

I don't know fot sure what pads are in my GSF (I bought it at 19k miles so presumably at 30500 with around 4mm remaining they aren't original) but they work as well as I could want for road use although they chuck out a lot of dust

I think you’ll be surprised and find that the front pads are the originals.

I changed mine at 34k ish miles and there weren’t at the wear indicators. I had lexus check the SH and there was no evidence of previous replacements. The original rears are still fine at 44k.