Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It’s important to clean inside the door shuts.

I’ve not had a car that gathered so much crud inside the doors.  I always pressure wash all round them..........IMG_3578.thumb.JPG.8d397f573126a9d017f5b9422760bad2.JPGIMG_3579.thumb.JPG.7ca2b9d7ad96fb0ac59175d9d0de8c54.JPG

Also, using non acid wheel cleaner keeps the calipers looking new.  Mine is 21 months old with 13000 on it.

IMG_3580.thumb.JPG.1bda266c0a20cb68691cc0c894b1f6cf.JPG

• Like 4

On delivery of both my NX cars I did the following courtesy of Halfords.

I fitted rubberised rear sill guard tape to the rear sills & sprayed silicon on the rear, rear door seals

Just returned recently from a 60 mile motorway journey in heavy snow/salt spray.

Sill filth was negligible.Both cars have mud-flaps.

Tel

• Like 3

Only use will confirm resolution as there has been no posts globally about corrosion in this area of the car even in Canada.

Tel

My MY70 UX is exactly the same. There is just too much plastic trim at the bottom the doors. The use off the rubber seals suggests to me that prototype had qatwr penetration problems.  Also likely to be rust traps to the bottom of the doors. Crap design in my view  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Charli Alder said:

My MY70 UX is exactly the same. There is just too much plastic trim at the bottom the doors. The use off the rubber seals suggests to me that prototype had qatwr penetration problems.  Also likely to be rust traps to the bottom of the doors. Crap design in my view  

Yes, I always felt it would be a rust trap. We’ll know for sure when the first cars get to about 10-12 years old I reckon.

It’s not so much the rust that bothers me because all those vulnerable areas are galvanised but it looks awful and you get your clothes dirty if you touch it.  It lifts the appeal of the car when you open a door if it’s clean. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JeffL said:

I wonder if this has been improved on the new model for 2022 deliveries?

Good question, I did have a look at the new one in the showroom and it appeared to have some secondary sealing so we’ll have to see about that in practice.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Don C said:

It’s not so much the rust that bothers me because all those vulnerable areas are galvanised but it looks awful and you get your clothes dirty if you touch it.  It lifts the appeal of the car when you open a door if it’s clean. 

Gets very gritty in that area so there is a chance that as the cars age there could be a problem. Hopefully not. I try and keep mine clean. It does look awful, agreed.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

I've done it on every car I've owned and cleaned

A car just isn't properly clean unless one addresses the door shuts, the boot shut and the bonnet shuts and edges.

It’s surprising how many don’t including so called professionals and hand car washes and the owner thinks it’s clean.  

• Like 3

Never really saw this issue on my NX as I had the side-steps fitted and most of the mud collected on the underside of those rather than on the doors.

However, my new RX doesn’t have side-steps, so…😕

D4476E2C-6A50-4704-8BEC-CA8E5F3B7D80.thumb.jpeg.4cef4533b9c52f497b2e8c41a3d7edaa.jpeg

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Never really saw this issue on my NX as I had the side-steps fitted and most of the mud collected on the underside of those rather than on the doors.

However, my new RX doesn’t have side-steps, so…😕

D4476E2C-6A50-4704-8BEC-CA8E5F3B7D80.thumb.jpeg.4cef4533b9c52f497b2e8c41a3d7edaa.jpeg

Maybe Santa will bring you some shiny new RX running boards? 😀

• Haha 1