Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS 300h; apple carplay

Gaurav Bhandari

Hello Everyone,

I have a lexus IS300h year 2018 model. It is an executive edition however the sat nav is pathetic. I am a wazer and looking to get an aftermarket apple carplay supported infotainment installed. Does anyone know from where I can get it install and approx how much will it cost?

Hi Gaurav, if you're wanting apple CarPlay the best way to go about it is an android unit to integrate or replace your existing infotainment. 

You have two major options, the first being a generic option to provide android / apple CarPlay or you can spend a bit more money and invest in a GROM VLINE or a similar other system which fully integrates into the OEM system and retains all original controls. I'll provide some examples for your below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000904190972.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.df0873ccE7xh8h&algo_pvid=27c3d093-d010-43a2-91ff-6ea823411bcd&algo_exp_id=27c3d093-d010-43a2-91ff-6ea823411bcd-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"10000010481521254"}

https://gromaudio.co.uk/select-lexus-2013-2018-grom-vline-vl2-infotainment-system-upgrade-video-interface-lex8.html#Description_0

If you don't care for audio quality (Or lack a Mark Levinson system) a cheapo android head unit may be the way to go. If you do however care about your audio quality or retaining the original OEM controls such as climate control I'd steer in the direction of the GROM. I personally have a 2nd Gen IS250 F sport and because audio quality was very important to me I shelled out for a GROM and while it wasn't at all cheap, it was certainly worth it at least in my case. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, McShmoopy said:

Hi Gaurav, if you're wanting Apple CarPlay the best way to go about it is an android unit to integrate or replace your existing infotainment. 

You have two major options, the first being a generic option to provide android / apple CarPlay or you can spend a bit more money and invest in a GROM VLINE or a similar other system which fully integrates into the OEM system and retains all original controls. I'll provide some examples for your below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000904190972.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.df0873ccE7xh8h&algo_pvid=27c3d093-d010-43a2-91ff-6ea823411bcd&algo_exp_id=27c3d093-d010-43a2-91ff-6ea823411bcd-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"10000010481521254"}

https://gromaudio.co.uk/select-lexus-2013-2018-grom-vline-vl2-infotainment-system-upgrade-video-interface-lex8.html#Description_0

If you don't care for audio quality (Or lack a Mark Levinson system) a cheapo android head unit may be the way to go. If you do however care about your audio quality or retaining the original OEM controls such as climate control I'd steer in the direction of the GROM. I personally have a 2nd Gen IS250 F sport and because audio quality was very important to me I shelled out for a GROM and while it wasn't at all cheap, it was certainly worth it at least in my case. 

Thanks Bilal,

This was very informative for me, I liked the idea of GROM audio as I still want to retain all my controls and want a good audio quality. Do you know who can install it?

Regards

Gaurav

47 minutes ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Thanks Bilal,

This was very informative for me, I liked the idea of GROM audio as I still want to retain all my controls and want a good audio quality. Do you know who can install it?

Regards

Gaurav

I wouldn’t bother paying anyone to install it for you, it’s better to DIY it as you have access to everything and know where it all is. If you need some help i don’t mind helping out if you’re fairly local or a fellow forum member closer to you if yoh prefer! 

Thanks Bilal,

Sorry for ghosting on the reply. I did go through some videos on the installation and I am still not very confident on the installation of it, so I am hoping to give it to someone who have more hands on.

Do you believe Halfords will be able to support or any other alternative?

Regards

Gaurav

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, after having a word with Halfords.

As per Halfords, one would need to install a 2-Din system. To install 2-DIN system a facia needs to be installed, costing around  40-50 GBP. Plus a bunch of harness. You will need to buy a 2-Din from Halfords too for the installation. The 2 din installed will not support the steering wheels control and will also not support reverse camera. Not sure the person who interacted with me was experienced or not, but made me believe that Halfords cannot perform the installation. I might have to try it myself... If successful, will let everyone know  

19 minutes ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

As per Halfords, one would need to install a 2-Din system. To install 2-DIN system a facia needs to be installed, costing around  40-50 GBP. Plus a bunch of harness. You will need to buy a 2-Din from Halfords too for the installation. The 2 din installed will not support the steering wheels control and will also not support reverse camera. Not sure the person who interacted with me was experienced or not, but made me believe that Halfords cannot perform the installation. I might have to try it myself... If successful, will let everyone know  

Have a look at this post I made earlier today:

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:50 AM, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Thanks Bilal,

Sorry for ghosting on the reply. I did go through some videos on the installation and I am still not very confident on the installation of it, so I am hoping to give it to someone who have more hands on.

Do you believe Halfords will be able to support or any other alternative?

Regards

Gaurav

15 hours ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Apologies for the late response Gaurav, I missed out on your first message unfortunately! I would steer clear from Halfords in general, they're absolutely fine for older cars with generic single din and double din radios however for vehicles such as ours with bespoke infotainment systems they wouldn't know the first place to start! You'd be better suited trying to do it yourself. or ask someone from the forum locally to assist. I can try sending you a few videos to help but I believe you're quite far out from me haha. 

15 hours ago, Herbie said:

Have a look at this post I made earlier today:

I've just taken a look at Herbie's video and thats a very good example and demo of the GROM for the 3rd gen+ vehicles. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, McShmoopy said:

Apologies for the late response Gaurav, I missed out on your first message unfortunately! I would steer clear from Halfords in general, they're absolutely fine for older cars with generic single din and double din radios however for vehicles such as ours with bespoke infotainment systems they wouldn't know the first place to start! You'd be better suited trying to do it yourself. or ask someone from the forum locally to assist. I can try sending you a few videos to help but I believe you're quite far out from me haha. 

I've just taken a look at Herbie's video and thats a very good example and demo of the GROM for the 3rd gen+ vehicles. 

No worries at all. I looked at a few videos but was worried that I will be unconscious watching all these wires 😄 so, wanted some help with someone who can sit and watch me dismantle and assemble it again. I am at Farnborough and about 4 hours away from you ... but if it comes to a point I will check with you if you are available and if we can do it together... Just a few points I wanted to check, if you can please help:

1. Do I void the warranty in any case from Lexus? If the warranty voided only for infotainment then I am ok, but not the full car 😞 

2. Do I need to remove the negative terminal of the Battery before installation? All the videos I saw did not remove the Battery terminal but I was not sure if airbags can be triggered by any issue?

I think I can answer that Gaurav but it'll be good if anyone can confirm.

1. It's possible, although I don't know for sure, that the warranty may be voided on the infotainment unit but certainly not the whole car.

2. Like you, I watched a few videos and like them, I didn't disconnect the Battery. I don't know if it's 'good practice' to do so but they didn't and neither did I.

I looked at a few videos but was worried that I will be unconscious watching all these wires 😄 so, wanted some help with someone who can sit and watch me dismantle and assemble it again

I can imagine that it would seem off-putting to anyone without some electrical knowledge but honestly, you won't go wrong. All you're doing is disconnecting things from the multimedia haed unit, diverting them to the new unit (be it Grom or something else) and then from the new unit back again. All the connectors are either shaped, keyed or coloured so you can't get them mixed up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Herbie said:

1. It's possible, although I don't know for sure, that the warranty may be voided on the infotainment unit but certainly not the whole car.

2. Like you, I watched a few videos and like them, I didn't disconnect the battery. I don't know if it's 'good practice' to do so but they didn't and neither did I.

I can imagine that it would seem off-putting to anyone without some electrical knowledge but honestly, you won't go wrong. All you're doing is disconnecting things from the multimedia haed unit, diverting them to the new unit (be it Grom or something else) and then from the new unit back again. All the connectors are either shaped, keyed or coloured so you can't get them mixed up.

Thanks Herb,

Info from you have surely given me enough confidence 🙂. I am just making up my mind to either go for GROM or an Android HU.  I wanted GROM, but was thinking to get 10.5 inches screen (looks cooler 😉 ) , but I guess the installation process should be the same for both, just that in case of Android HU I will have to remove the current screen which looks very simple. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

2. Like you, I watched a few videos and like them, I didn't disconnect the battery. I don't know if it's 'good practice' to do so but they didn't and neither did I.

I'm inclined to agree with the above, I myself didnt disconnect my Battery when installing my GROM. I believe the rationale was to ensure you dont accidentally set off the airbags but if you're using the correct prying tools and are being fairly delicate that shouldn't be a concern. The warranty if you asked Lexus they would almost certainly say yes that it is voided at least infotainment wise, however I suppose if you keep it all stock / OEM looking with a unit like the GROM no one would be none the wiser.

The units you by should be plug and play so all you will need to do is plug in and remove certain connectors so no electrical knowledge should be needed. It is worth buying a good vehicle trim removal set to ensure you dont scuff or scratch anything during the removal process. 

3 hours ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

No worries at all. I looked at a few videos but was worried that I will be unconscious watching all these wires 😄 so, wanted some help with someone who can sit and watch me dismantle and assemble it again. I am at Farnborough and about 4 hours away from you ... but if it comes to a point I will check with you if you are available and if we can do it together... Just a few points I wanted to check, if you can please help:

1. Do I void the warranty in any case from Lexus? If the warranty voided only for infotainment then I am ok, but not the full car 😞 

2. Do I need to remove the negative terminal of the battery before installation? All the videos I saw did not remove the battery terminal but I was not sure if airbags can be triggered by any issue?

Haha yes you do seem far out but any help you do need I am happy to help 

On 12/30/2021 at 6:31 PM, McShmoopy said:

I'm inclined to agree with the above, I myself didnt disconnect my battery when installing my GROM. I believe the rationale was to ensure you dont accidentally set off the airbags but if you're using the correct prying tools and are being fairly delicate that shouldn't be a concern. The warranty if you asked Lexus they would almost certainly say yes that it is voided at least infotainment wise, however I suppose if you keep it all stock / OEM looking with a unit like the GROM no one would be none the wiser.

The units you by should be plug and play so all you will need to do is plug in and remove certain connectors so no electrical knowledge should be needed. It is worth buying a good vehicle trim removal set to ensure you dont scuff or scratch anything during the removal process. 

Haha yes you do seem far out but any help you do need I am happy to help 

Hey, quick one, GROM team recommended me this one, do you think it should be good enough? https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/lexus-2014-2018-no-nav-vline-android-navigation-system-with-carplay-and-android-auto-for-lexus-without-nav.html

20 hours ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Yes that looks about right, I assume your IS300h is the one without built in navigation? 

7 minutes ago, McShmoopy said:

Yes that looks about right, I assume your IS300h is the one without built in navigation? 

My Lexus has built in Nav and I mentioned it to GROM team as well, but the GROM said as I have a knob (and not Joystick ) so, I should use this 

15 minutes ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

My Lexus has built in Nav and I mentioned it to GROM team as well, but the GROM said as I have a knob (and not Joystick ) so, I should use this 

Ah fair enough, yes it will vary depending on what you have in terms of that. Should be absolutely fine then 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links