Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

REPLACEMENT FRONT SHOCK OPTIONS

ahmed-abrar

hi, I'm looking to replace the front shocks on my car (together with previously purchaseD wishbones bushes links etc) but my budget does not stretch to KYB units , has anybody body tried any thing else at a more reasonable price , autodoc is my first point of call for alternatives

• 1 month later...

15 hours ago, samplify said:

KYBs are your best bet for an OEM replacement. Wouldn't trust any of the other name brands to do the same as a KYB.

I'm on B6s and they are great but also not cheap!

true, its just about current economics, can i justify the cost as i do not use the car enough,  currently car is on about 66000 mile on originals (without any signs of leakage) & i will be lucky to add 10000 more miles before i plan to sell in mid 2024

30 minutes ago, ahmed-abrar said:

true, but to my knowledge shocks can lose their effectiveness over time etc even though there may not be signs of leakage, am i wrong?

Correct. No idea on the mileage of this 2008 car but those shocks must be getting tired. Fitting new to one side only could upset the handling

Test the shockers by making sure the car is on level ground. Got to one corner and with force press down to compress the spring as much as you can. Release quickly and note how the car raises. If it raises in one movement only then its a good shocker. If it boings then its duff. Repeat on the other corner. If both react the same as in one movement only then all is good. My cat is a 2007 with 84k miles and my front shockers are almost like new. Only replaced the rear ones because of weepage. 

22 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Test the shockers by making sure the car is on level ground. Got to one corner and with force press down to compress the spring as much as you can. Release quickly and note how the car raises. If it raises in one movement only then its a good shocker. If it boings then its duff. Repeat on the other corner. If both react the same as in one movement only then all is good. My cat is a 2007 with 84k miles and my front shockers are almost like new. Only replaced the rear ones because of weepage. 

I'm familiar with 'bounce test' & my car has passed with no issues, thanks for the advice

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, Mr Vlad said:

That's good then. Save your money on the front shockers as they don't need changing. 

I echo everything @Mr Vlad has said - I've got a 2007 on 120k miles - shocks are still working great just had to replace the rubber gaiters (this was a total PITA btw!)

I had very good results from replacing my lower ball joints, anti rolls bar bushings and links. This has made the suspension feel and sound like a new car when going over bumps.

Save your money on the shocks!

I put kyb struts all round on mine and it made a big difference to her handling. One of my originals spring seat rusted and the spring dropped down the strut. So thought it was best to replace them all as they all looked rusty. I wouldn't recommend buying cheep struts as they won't be the same quality. You get what you pay for.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links