Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible new RX owner - any things to watch out for?

Hi,

I'm trying to escape diesel DPF issues and so the petrol hybrid RX has made my shortlist of possible options. My budget isn't unlimited so I'm probably looking at an early 450h with well over 100k miles or a late 400h with more reasonable sub 100k mileage.

My instinct would be to aim for a newer model (ie. 450h) if possible as they has lower running costs and I'm assuming other under-the-skin improvements over the 400h but will the high mileages be an issue?

So my question is whether there are known issues to look out for (in either model) in these older and/or high mileage cars? I've seen a thread about the tailgate closers being an issue for some, so something to try out on the forecourt! How is all the hybrid and Battery technology lasting? Have any failures started to appear? I'd hate to run away from the costs associated with DPF failures/replacements just to be landed with astronomical hybrid repairs.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome.

My RX450 isn't high mileage yet so I can't speak from personal experience, but I doubt the hybrid system or its Battery will present any problems. The 12v Battery might cause you a problem, but they all suffer with that if the car isn't regularly used or the Battery isn't left on a trickle charge if stood for a while. Several threads on here about that issue.

Air suspension on the Premier model is best avoided for peace of mind.

I don't know if the 400's problem with rear subframe rust will transfer onto the 450 once they get a bit older. I've noticed on mine there are a lot of places where the muck and crud can sit in that area.

Given the price of most used cars at present I imagine even the oldest 450 will still command a fair price. They don't seem to hang around for long on the main dealer ad's.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Welcome.

My RX450...

+1

Just 'do' the usual due diligence I would suggest.

We are very happy with ours.

• Like 1

OK, thanks for the replies. I was thinking if there were recurring problems cropping up the members here would have heard of them. So maybe the lack of replies indicates the lack of any such issues 😃

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 6:59 PM, Mikethack said:

Hi,

I'm trying to escape diesel DPF issues and so the petrol hybrid RX has made my shortlist of possible options. My budget isn't unlimited so I'm probably looking at an early 450h with well over 100k miles or a late 400h with more reasonable sub 100k mileage.

My instinct would be to aim for a newer model (ie. 450h) if possible as they has lower running costs and I'm assuming other under-the-skin improvements over the 400h but will the high mileages be an issue?

So my question is whether there are known issues to look out for (in either model) in these older and/or high mileage cars? I've seen a thread about the tailgate closers being an issue for some, so something to try out on the forecourt! How is all the hybrid and battery technology lasting? Have any failures started to appear? I'd hate to run away from the costs associated with DPF failures/replacements just to be landed with astronomical hybrid repairs.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If I were you I'd be looking at a 450, you'll appreciate the double pane glass, keyless entry/start, parking sensors, auto fold mirrors over a 400. No cambelt changes to worry about either.

The warranty on the hybrid Battery is now 15 years provided you get the checked over once a year at Lexus or 10000 miles whichever is first. Haven't heard of any issues with rhe hybrid Battery, however the 12v Battery is not cheap. Not had any issues with the tailgate, just the annoying beep when activated and it's not the quickest in the world to open or close.

Some models do come with air suspension which isn't cheap to fix, however  issues do seen rare. The RX450h was recently rated the most reliable car you can purchase according to carwow and warranty direct.

Like all pre owned cars you may have wear and tear issues like suspension bushes, tyres, brakes etc but you can't really go wrong with a Lexus. Just look for full service history and a good overall condition of the car 

• Thanks 1

I exchanged the first one I had. It was a Lexus approved used car, but despite that it had underside damage which I didn't think was right on a car costing decent money from a main dealer. That was obviously a fault peculiar to that car, but it could be worth checking in case a previous owner thought they had more of an off-roader than the RX really is.

The one I got instead just does its job. After nearly three years the only issue I'm having is squeaking brakes, possibly because of lipped discs.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:59 PM, Prince Bob said:

If I were you I'd be looking at a 450, you'll appreciate the double pane glass, keyless entry/start, parking sensors, auto fold mirrors over a 400. No cambelt changes to worry about either.

The warranty on the hybrid battery is now 15 years provided you get the checked over once a year at Lexus or 10000 miles whichever is first. Haven't heard of any issues with rhe hybrid battery, however the 12v battery is not cheap. Not had any issues with the tailgate, just the annoying beep when activated and it's not the quickest in the world to open or close.

Some models do come with air suspension which isn't cheap to fix, however  issues do seen rare. The RX450h was recently rated the most reliable car you can purchase according to carwow and warranty direct.

Like all pre owned cars you may have wear and tear issues like suspension bushes, tyres, brakes etc but you can't really go wrong with a Lexus. Just look for full service history and a good overall condition of the car 

Well that's a reassuring video, and thanks for the other comments.

• Like 1

1. The air suspension is very expensive around 1200euro, but only comes on top specs like SEL or SEL Premier.

2. The white/bej interiors they get very dirty and discusting with years, and also the leader seats are natural, but not very durable.

3. Rubber pipeline for the vvti, only on early 2010 models, they crack and spill the oil, make sure was replaced with a metal part.

4.  Rust on side panels and under, especially on vehicles abused.

5. The 12 volt Battery goes out and creates all kind of electrical headichs.

6. Suspension bushes and links especially the double wishbone arm, which has to be replace completely and cost around 600euro.

7. Depending on the millage, the egr valve might need replacing or cleaning, 400euro, and the catalitic converter around 1500euro. Both these issues will trigger the check engine and fail the mot.

8. The 300volt Battery, usually they last 10 to 15 years depending on luck, however you could refurbish the Battery preemtively. There are specialized hybrid centers that replace dead elements, clean and spray contacts and run bench cycles. This operation costs under 1000euro and should expand the life of Battery with 5 years.

9. Distribution is chain driven, i have not heard of problems, however if it is rattling, you need to take the engine out of the car to have it replaced, my guess is over 2000euro job.

10. Miscelanous leaks.

It's also worth noting that Lexus now do an extended warranty for older cars serviced by them, for cars over 10 and up to 15 years old, and up to 150k miles.  It's around £540 a year and includes UK and European breakdown assistance. If an extended warrranty is something you think you might want, and you don't mind dealer servicing, then pick cars with applicable age/mileage when looking.

• Like 1

Mine needed front lower control arms at 85k, that was quite an expensive repair at £1120.

Hasn't needed much else though, tyres and brakes, rocker cover gasket failed a little while ago but that wasn't expensive. I'm told I will need a new radiator at the next coolant change.

If buying one #1 on my list would be looking for evidence of transmission fluid servicing done correctly (including the filter assembly).