Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More Carbon Delamination

I have noticed the rear spoiler on our GSF has also starting to delaminate at the corner. Very unimpressed with this, along with the interior. How Lexus can fit much poor quality carbon fibre to what was their flagship model in the range is beyond me. I’m sure they will deny all responsibility and blame my cleaning techniques / wear and tear as usual. However does anyone know if the Lexus Extended Warranty covers clear coat paint defects ? 

32CA0CF8-0377-4F95-A281-0ABEA5C80448.jpeg

FD1D5340-0AAD-433B-AA77-62643011F081.jpeg

• Sad 1

Thanks for the post @Womble72. Lexus UK we not interested in the delamination   of the interior parts, despite me pointing them to the US forums. They insisted that it’s never happened before even though I know other UK members have also had the same issue. They just issued a frankly insulting email saying that the damaged was caused by abrasive cleaners and leaking air fresheners, neither of which have been used in my car. Very frustrating. Multiple phone calls to Lexus UK lead to even more frustration, as the phone were manned by people who lacked any common sense or authority.
It doesn’t leave much hope for the spoiler but I’m waiting to see what the dealership has to say. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Killysprint said:

Seems to be a bit of chatter in the US about this, and lexus are taking notice.

may be worth following up again with the dealer and lexus Uk customer service

The good thing about Lexus in the US is they actually offer some customer service. Lexus GB may have a customer service department, but they don't offer 'customer service' - they will nearly always side with the dealer, or claim the owner is at fault 😠

Hopefully this may force their hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys come across this thread as i am also having this issue with trim on the inside and outside! Going to lexus on saturday to check the car over so i think i’m going to ask about what the can do to rectify this issue!

BC06CD1E-8900-485F-9378-EBC5ED53227E.jpeg

D41AB35F-1530-4D24-9D65-564A38BF73BE.jpeg

19056798-D317-4386-A4C0-579C54DDB403.jpeg

246725BE-C75E-41E5-ACC1-E42597DBBFE9.jpeg

Welcome to the club. 

Which dealership are you going to?

The Lexus dealer will likely be very helpful but unfortunately Lexus UK will more than likely reject any claim of fault here and blame you / the previous owner for the delimitation both inside and outside. 
I have had phone conversations with a representative from Lexus GB and they were very insulting, saying that I had used an abrasive cleaner on my interior and an air freshener had caused the delimitation. All BS, like most enthusiasts on here, my car is kept in immaculate order using only the best cleaning procedures.  
I have been a Lexus costumer for over 11 years and this is highly unsatisfactory as they couldn’t care less. 

Bristol Lexus are currently trying to see what they can do regarding my rear spoiler, so time will tell. If you don’t mind, I will forward your post to their Service Manager.  The more reports of this, the better, as it’s clearly a manufacturing issue and nothing else. I’m happy for you to do the same. Please PM for further details if required. 

Good luck and please keep us posted. Unfortunately to my knowledge, no member has been successful with this claim. I know there are at least half a dozen of us on here who have suffered with the interior delimitation and who have contacted Lexus UK, but Lexus were adamant that mine was the only case in the UK and didn’t think the multiple cases I pointed out to them in the USA were relevant. 

This has greatly tarnished my experience as a long standing Lexus owner and enthusiast and will likely be looking elsewhere when our cars are up for renewal, if they refuse to rectify this issue. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GSF_REG said:

Hey guys come across this thread as i am also having this issue with trim on the inside and outside! Going to lexus on saturday to check the car over so i think i’m going to ask about what the can do to rectify this issue!

The splitter damage looks as a result of external impact so not sure you will get anywhere with that one but you have a case for the others.

2 minutes ago, F.A. said:

The Lexus dealer will likely be very helpful

My dealer wasn't interested in my interior trim delaminating - trim isn't covered under extended warranty.

image.thumb.png.7ad8a0f40c5e2a5bbeef69c11dbab843.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The splitter damage looks as a result of external impact so not sure you will get anywhere with that one but you have a case for the others.

My dealer wasn't interested in my interior trim delaminating - trim isn't covered under extended warranty.

I agree with your comment on the front splitter, this is clearly from stone chips. 

Bristol Lexus agreed there was an issue but were unable to convince Lexus UK that this was a manufacturing issue. They denied any knowledge of this happening to any other GSF and said that the examples I showed them from the US forums were not relevant. 

To add insult to injury the rear spoiler is £3000 + and I was quoted around £1800 to replace the two dash board trims and the trim in my drivers door card. This was at a discounted rate given as a good will gesture by  Bristol Lexus. 

25 minutes ago, F.A. said:

Welcome to the club. 

Which dealership are you going to?

The Lexus dealer will likely be very helpful but unfortunately Lexus UK will more than likely reject any claim of fault here and blame you / the previous owner for the delimitation both inside and outside. 
I have had phone conversations with a representative from Lexus GB and they were very insulting, saying that I had used an abrasive cleaner on my interior and an air freshener had caused the delimitation. All BS, like most enthusiasts on here, my car is kept in immaculate order using only the best cleaning procedures.  
I have been a Lexus costumer for over 11 years and this is highly unsatisfactory as they couldn’t care less. 

Bristol Lexus are currently trying to see what they can do regarding my rear spoiler, so time will tell. If you don’t mind, I will forward your post to their Service Manager.  The more reports of this, the better, as it’s clearly a manufacturing issue and nothing else. I’m happy for you to do the same. Please PM for further details if required. 

Good luck and please keep us posted. Unfortunately to my knowledge, no member has been successful with this claim. I know there are at least half a dozen of us on here who have suffered with the interior delimitation and who have contacted Lexus UK, but Lexus were adamant that mine was the only case in the UK and didn’t think the multiple cases I pointed out to them in the USA were relevant. 

This has greatly tarnished my experience as a long standing Lexus owner and enthusiast and will likely be looking elsewhere when our cars are up for renewal, if they refuse to rectify this issue. 

Hi thanks for the swift reply, as i mentioned i will be going to lexus wolverhampton on saturday and i will raise this issue and hopefully try and get somewhere with it, if i can i will show them this thread and other threads also containing pictures and comments, no harm in trying because for a 6 year old car it shouldn’t be happening, deffo expect more from lexus! Might have to go into ultimate karen mode!

yeah i do understand that the damage to the splitter is probably from the road, but i want atleast the spoiler and interior trim sorting as its clearly not from anything but delamination!

26 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Hi colin, thanks for the reply, totally agree with your comment about the splitter i’m not to bothered about that its just mainly interior and the spoiler i’m bothered about, like i mentioned i’m going to have a good old chat with lexus on saturday and show this thread and many others to try and get them to realise their issues as i have seen most people in america have had these issues rectified under warranty, so clearly the fault lies with lexus

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GSF_REG said:

Hi colin, thanks for the reply, totally agree with your comment about the splitter i’m not to bothered about that its just mainly interior and the spoiler i’m bothered about, like i mentioned i’m going to have a good old chat with lexus on saturday and show this thread and many others to try and get them to realise their issues as i have seen most people in america have had these issues rectified under warranty, so clearly the fault lies with lexus

37 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Also if you would like to PM with details and pictures of your issues colin i will take these with me to lexus wolverhampton on saturday and raise it along with my issues and also @F.A.’s issues as the more complaints we have, the better the outcome may be!

3 minutes ago, GSF_REG said:

Also if you would like to PM with details and pictures of your issues colin i will take these with me to lexus wolverhampton on saturday and raise it along with my issues

Happy to provide you with pics to strengthen your case that this isn't a one off, but I no longer have the vehicle so I'm not looking for a resolution myself.

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Happy to provide you with pics to strengthen your case that this isn't a one off, but I no longer have the vehicle so I'm not looking for a resolution myself.

That would be amazing i mainly just want to try and get something sorted so everyone who has these issues has somewhere and someone to go too, so we can all get these resolved! Howcome you decided to sell it colin? If you don’t mind me asking?

54 minutes ago, F.A. said:

Yes disappointing, but I doubt any other mainstream manufacturer will offer a better experience, plenty of horror stories on forums, do you have any in mind?

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Yes disappointing, but I doubt any other mainstream manufacturer will offer a better experience, plenty of horror stories on forums, do you have any in mind?

Not sure yet. We have a couple of Ltd companies so whilst I am a petrolhead, it’s hard to ignore the benefits of an EV. It is likely that I will keep the GSF in the garage.  I never thought I would say this but maybe a Tesla. At least you expect the build quality to be rubbish so won’t be disappointed. 

11 hours ago, GSF_REG said:

BC06CD1E-8900-485F-9378-EBC5ED53227E.jpeg

246725BE-C75E-41E5-ACC1-E42597DBBFE9.jpeg

Splitter that's where someone has driven to far forwards looks like someone didn't park properly once and quickly learnt. 

Must admit I haven’t checked mine….. but will do this morning. The likelihood is that there will be delamination there.

The car gets a good clean with branded products - but long gone are the days where I’d spend all Saturday washing and polishing my daily.  So haven’t really noticed if I have the problem or not, plus I’d have to have my specs on…….

and @F.A. Don’t go rushing down the ev route. You’ll end up pulling your hair out. They’re not all sweetness and light.

We have a ipace and it’s been a nightmare,  and to make things worse the dealer network is a terrible.

It had 9 weeks off the road last year, the Battery issue we had took from the day reporting it to resolution - 14 weeks, then the bloody thing leaked.

however the tax and fuel savings are 😍😍😍😍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, F.A. said:

Not sure yet. We have a couple of Ltd companies so whilst I am a petrolhead, it’s hard to ignore the benefits of an EV. It is likely that I will keep the GSF in the garage.  I never thought I would say this but maybe a Tesla. At least you expect the build quality to be rubbish so won’t be disappointed. 

My two cents

I too have a ltd company and I well aware of the benefits of an EV but I keep telling myself I shouldn't get one. 

Yes- the acceleration is hilarious and have all clever innovations, but the Battery technology, I am sorry it's not there yet. Batteries will soon be on a Moore's law or something similar i.e. Battery capacity will double every year while costs halves.

No one will want current EVs in 10 years time and probably will have to pay to get them recycled. 

• 1 year later...

After years of constant nagging, Lexus have finally come back with a ‘good will gesture’ offer of £3600 to replace my rear spoiler  and centre console and dash trims. Obviously I’m not proceeding with that 😡. Does anyone have the contact details of the head honcho at Lexus?  Worth a letter to express my dissatisfaction with the brand I think.  

4 hours ago, F.A. said:

After years of constant nagging, Lexus have finally come back with a ‘good will gesture’ offer of £3600 to replace my rear spoiler  and centre console and dash trims. Obviously I’m not proceeding with that 😡. Does anyone have the contact details of the head honcho at Lexus?  Worth a letter to express my dissatisfaction with the brand I think.  

Director of lexus UK

chris-hayes@lexus.co.uk

or

President and director of UK toyota

agustin.martin@tgb.toyota.co.uk