Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone downsized from an RX to a UX?

Given my use of the main car and my annual mileage these days, I am seriously thinking of downsizing from a 3rd generation RX450h to either a UX or, even more sensibly, a Corolla.

Has anyone done similar? Thoughts?

I own a 4RX but got a UX as a courtesy car a while ago.

Absolutely horrendous.

Being in the UX is like being in a matchbox toy compared with the RX; everything is so cramped up it's ridiculous.

Don't do it, you'll be immediately disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's helpful,  thanks.  But given that the RX is, being realistic, far bigger than I need these days, that might not be a major problem.  I guess I need a decent test drive.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ian M said:

That's helpful,  thanks.  But given that the RX is, being realistic, far bigger than I need these days, that might not be a major problem.  I guess I need a decent test drive.  

You could look at the NX as an in between size. I had one as my main vehicle for 5 years - great car. Certainly feels a fair bit smaller than the RX.

Paul

• Like 2

I think you're right to have a test drive first.

I too have a 3rd gen RX450h and was recently given a UX as a courtesy car. I guess the luggage space is ok if you don't need the space of the RX but, from a driving point of view, it felt very cramped and I couldn't wait to get my RX back. Perhaps it's just a case of getting used to it and you may be fine with it, but a decent test drive makes a lot of sense before taking the plunge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

I think you're right to have a test drive first.

I too have a 3rd gen RX450h and was recently given a UX as a courtesy car. I guess the luggage space is ok if you don't need the space of the RX but, from a driving point of view, it felt very cramped and I couldn't wait to get my RX back. Perhaps it's just a case of getting used to it and you may be fine with it, but a decent test drive makes a lot of sense before taking the plunge.

Having been to see one today, the driving position did feel somewhat cramped and very dark but that may have been down to the colour of the headlining.  Interestingly, the Corolla I also looked at felt much less so.

I also had a UX as a loaner for the day while my 3rd Gen RX450h was being serviced.  Must say the UX handling felt a lot sharper and it was much more economical.  However, it was very cramped, particularly for rear seated passengers, darkly oppressive with minuscule boot and was glad to return it.  I also had an NX loaner on another occasion which was a much better compromise and a car I could live with.  If I was you I would try the NX against the UX.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello all. I went from a CT to UX and find the size of the UX much better than the CT and adequate for me, a retired 70 year old with no kids to ferry about.  Having said I would say that to go from an RX to a UX is a jump too far. As suggested try the NX as you will find the UX too small. Test drive anx see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, Ian M said:

Given my use of the main car and my annual mileage these days, I am seriously thinking of downsizing from a 3rd generation RX450h to either a UX or, even more sensibly, a Corolla.

How pompous.....surely you've owned a smalller car before...they are smaller on the outside and the inside too.   🙂

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, Ian M said:

@Ian M

I’ve owned two NX, and recently moved to an RX. I’ve had UX courtesy cars on a couple of occasions.

What I’d say is this. They’re all very good cars. My personal favourite, even after a month with my RX is still the NX. However, I get used to what I drive very quickly so if your circumstances and personal choice is that a smaller car a) will suit you and, b) you are happy to live with one longer term, then I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with a UX.

My own (limited) experience of the UX suggests it is a very perky drive, and that the build quality is what I’ve come to expect from Lexus. My only disappointment was the plastic door cards but I’m being very picky. Space is obviously more limited than the bigger models, but if you don’t need the space…

If it helps, when my Father retired (a good few years ago now) he needed to buy his own car after a lifetime of company supplied vehicles. He’d always had big beasts - Rover SD1, Ford Granada, even a Toyota Cressida estate at one stage when there were four children and a dog to cart about! I fully expected him to buy a big car for his retirement but - very surprisingly - he went and bought a Peugeot 205! He never regretted that decision as he used to say there is a time of your life when you want or need a big house and car, and a time when you don’t.

It’s all personal choice and preference. We all make decisions for different reasons and with different priorities. The trick is to make those decisions based on the maximum amount of information, and not to regret them if they aren’t what you expected! 

• Like 10

Thanks for everyone's input. 

Following a few test drives and phone calls over the 'twixtmas' period, I have put a deposit on a 6 month old Corolla 2.0 Excel Sports Touring with the panoramic roof (an opening sunroof is feature I have had on most of my cars over the years and didn't want to forego but which is all but impossible to find on an NX).

As many of you said, the UX is small.  The driving position felt quite cramped and the boot is even smaller than I had imagined.  The NX was nice, although I didn't drive one, but it felt as if I might as well stick with my RX if I were going to another SUV of that size.

Sure the Corolla is a step down from the RX, but it's going to give me an extra 20ish mpg.  Meanwhile, my Lexus SC430 is asleep for the winter and keeps me with the Lexus brand for summer motoring.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, cur666 said:

How pompous.....surely you've owned a smalller car before...they are smaller on the outside and the inside too.   🙂

What an unhelpful and inappropriate comment.   The guy is asking a perfectly reasonable question of members on two specific models, whatever smaller car he may have driven in the past but quite possibly not for a long time.  How is this 'pompous' ?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 12/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, Barry14UK said:

What an unhelpful and inappropriate comment.   The guy is asking a perfectly reasonable question of members on two specific models, whatever smaller car he may have driven in the past but quite possibly not for a long time.  How is this 'pompous' ?

Of course it's pompous.....we don't know the chaps lifestyle, what he needs to carry, his size etc...all he seems to mention is his reduced number of miles....so... how can we possible give him any advice?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, cur666 said:

Of course it's pompous.....we don't know the chaps lifestyle, what he needs to carry, his size etc...all he seems to mention is his reduced number of miles....so... how can we possible give him any advice?

I thought everyone had given him advice, and very good advice at that. Plus he's made an excellent choice by going for a Corolla. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Ian…… Just playing devils advocate here. Will the Corolla suffer from the same problem as the Toyota Prius, Auris and Lexus CT and become prone to having its Catalytic convertor stolen. Have they repositioned it so it's less accessible?

Edited by Ed the Ted
  • Like 1

I am told that the cat is quite high up, pretty much adjacent to the exhaust manifold, and therefore pretty inaccessible.

The Corolla forums seem to think thefts are very rare.  🤞

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We've got both but that's exactly the reason. 

The RX is the main family hauler. The UXe is my wife's to buzz to the supermarket and school runs whilst also giving a hefty tax relief! 

They're both different and I wouldn't swap the RX for one. The NX isn't much smaller to be honest. If you need to downsize ideally you need to be looking at something Tiguan or Q3 size. They're slightly bigger than a UX but smaller than an NX

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although I love my RX to bits and think it's the best car I've ever had, I do find that it's the opposite of Dr. Who's TARDIS.

Look at it stood on the driveway and it looks to be a big car but on the inside it's really not, especially the 'boot' area. Floor to roof lining, yes, it's got great luggage space, but in reality most people will want the luggage cover on for safety and security, so measuring floor to luggage cover it's really not big at all.

The rear seating area is no bigger than a standard saloon car and it's still just as difficult to get three adults on the back seats. It can be done of course, but no more comfortably than a standard saloon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Although I love my RX to bits and think it's the best car I've ever had, I do find that it's the opposite of Dr. Who's TARDIS.

Look at it stood on the driveway and it looks to be a big car but on the inside it's really not, especially the 'boot' area. Floor to roof lining, yes, it's got great luggage space, but in reality most people will want the luggage cover on for safety and security, so measuring floor to luggage cover it's really not big at all.

The rear seating area is no bigger than a standard saloon car and it's still just as difficult to get three adults on the back seats. It can be done of course, but no more comfortably than a standard saloon.

I'm facing a similar issue. Having had my CR-V for nearly a year, and as excellent as it is, especially with a huge boot space, I've been looking at the Volvo XC60. It looks big on the outside, but internally it isn't any bigger than most estates. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I'm facing a similar issue. Having had my CR-V for nearly a year, and as excellent as it is, especially with a huge boot space, I've been looking at the Volvo XC60. It looks big on the outside, but internally it isn't any bigger than most estates. 

Having owned a couple of CR-Vs, I have to say that the practicality is on a different level to the NX and the RX, despite their larger size. I find that Honda put a lot more thought into making the CR-V easy to use than Lexus does, although the emphasis with the Lexus is clearly on comfort and luxury rather than practicality.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Having owned a couple of CR-Vs, I have to say that the practicality is on a different level to the NX and the RX, despite their larger size. I find that Honda put a lot more thought into making the CR-V easy to use than Lexus does, although the emphasis with the Lexus is clearly on comfort and luxury rather than practicality.

That's very true. The Honda has something like 35" height at the boot opening whereas the Volvo, and I think the RX, have about 29"

This is a very interesting thread. When I bought my UX a couple of years ago none of my friends and family could believe how big it was. Modern hatchbacks, even pretend SUVs like the UX are big cars on the outside, even if they're a little cosier on the inside. It looks massive parked next to my parents 2004 IS300. That being said, travelling with four adults and luggage was a squeeze.

I love the space inside the bigger cars, but squeezing their bulk around other cars on narrow country roads is harrowing. My previous car was a Mazda MX5, so I guess everything really is relative. I like the cosy, compact driving position and rarely carry more than one other passenger. At the higher trim level I purchased mine in it's a lovely vehicle, and having looked at a number of other brands recently with my partner no other manufacturer comes close for build quality.

"Horrendous" seems like the wrong word. If everyone drove around in tanks like the RX the roads would be even more crowded than they already are. I'm honestly staggered anyone ever finds a parking spot such an excessively large vehicle would fit in. But then I like small cars, and consider the second-row seats in my UX to be a wasteful extravagance most of the time. Each to their own.

Nick

• Thanks 2