Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Is 300h 2016 33K miles - any tips how to check the car

I already had a test drive and paid 100 deposit in 20/12/2021but I was told that the car will be ready for me with the new MOT and 50 point car health check 30/12/21. Car dealer wanted me to pay full amount but I said no because I don't trust them ( there rating on google site  is 3.7 from 5 so not everybody was happy ). I will be checking the car again before I will pay full money. During the first test drive the car was cold and starts with no problem and no smoke, traction Battery was charging and discharging normal for me. What else Can I check, maybe is there any way to see the Battery health on the screen?  Thx for any advice with the car.

268374348_443306090664545_4231866352504141384_n.jpg

The price is 18 300, and they don't giving me any free guaranty ( only 28days as I think is a normal customer right ), of course they offering 1 year from RAC for 500 but I dont think that RAC is covering Hybrid Battery ( nothing in the leaflet about it ).

14 minutes ago, nezget said:

The price is 18 300, and they don't giving me any free guaranty ( only 28days as I think is a normal customer right ), of course they offering 1 year from RAC for 500 but I dont think that RAC is covering Hybrid Battery ( nothing in the leaflet about it ).

It is also a customer right to have the Trader responsible for correcting any problem which arises within 6 months of purchase.

In truth, I would not deal with such a poor Trader. I would look elsewhere. Tell him to sod off.

• Like 5

2020 stamp missing is normal on a low miler with the lock down. Water or damp in the boot or steamed up rear window is the only common issue we seem to be having outside of consumable items.

• Like 1

You could arrange an AA or RAC inspection before purchase which costs around £200.00 but is very comprehensive although it may be a little late to organise this now.

If you have a mechanic friend who knows about these cars take them with you or just take someone with you, 2 pairs of eyes are better than one.

You also have, as Malc mentioned, consumer rights regarding the condition and description of the car.

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Obviously check every switch and button works as it should, check the MOT history and the new one for any advisories. Check the tyres...are they all the same make or at least the same on each axle, is there good and even tread depth on all the tyres.

Check the alloy wheels as they have corrosion issues in general.

Check the bodywork for paint colour matching, do all the panels line up correctly with matching gaps on both sides.

Ask to see the HPI report which should show up any previous issues with the car like accident damage or outstanding finance, there have been recent cases where bailiffs have turned up to recover a newly purchased car as it has finance still outstanding.

If all the above checks out and you do buy the car get it booked in at Lexus Derby or Nottingham immediately for a full health check, this is generally a free but comprehensive check and will highlight any existing and potential problems. It will also provide evidence if there are any serious defects and you return the car to the dealer.

If you have the car serviced at Lexus you should also qualify for the warranty which includes the traction Battery so enquire about this also.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Check the bodywork for paint colour matching, do all the panels line up correctly with matching gaps on both sides.

Every metal body panel, including boot and bonnet, has a VIN sticker. If one of these is missing it might be because the panel has been resprayed by a non-Lexus bodyshop which did not replace the sticker. This may not matter but it might be helpful in any price negotiation after inspection.

And obviously there should be no warning lights or messages on the dashboard. If the green P light for the parking sensor is on it just means the sensor is turned on. You can turn off the sensor and the light with the switch to the right of the steering column. You can also turn off the artificial engine noise with a switch close to the parking sensor switch, just so that you're not misled about what the car actually sounds like while driving. It's probably turned off anyway.

• Like 2

I've only checked autotrader.co.uk so far and in 2 months time I noticed that the prices for IS300h are going up, some of them now 20 000 for 2015/2016 with similar millage. 

Hello, I gave up on Hilton Garage dealer ( not on lexus - that will be my next car maker in 99% ) but today I bought this Mazda approved vehicle because is also very nice looking like is 300h and its a full option ( including 11speakers bose sysytem, head up display, bi Xenon, navigation, adaptative cruise controll, line assist, eletric countroled and heated seats and sterring wheel and many more with only 23300 miles on the clock and 12 months varranty. 2.0 165BHP petrol.

20211230_162057.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nezget said:

Hello, I gave up on Hilton Garage dealer ( not on lexus - that will be my next car maker in 99% ) but today I bought this Mazda approved vehicle because is also very nice looking like is 300h and its a full option ( including 11speakers bose sysytem, head up display, bi xenon, navigation, adaptative cruise controll, line assist, eletric countroled and heated seats and sterring wheel and many more with only 23300 miles on the clock and 12 months varranty. 2.0 165BHP petrol.

20211230_162057.jpg

Mazda 3 is an excellent car with a comprehensive spec`. We have had 3 Mazda cars and all have been fine.

Glad you said goodbye to the Dealer who wanted you to pay for a warranty (and which of course would not have paid you anything had you had the misfortune to claim).

Do stay in touch with us all and let us know what you think of it Tomasz.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nezget said:

Hello, I gave up on Hilton Garage dealer ( not on lexus - that will be my next car maker in 99% ) but today I bought this Mazda approved vehicle because is also very nice looking like is 300h and its a full option ( including 11speakers bose sysytem, head up display, bi xenon, navigation, adaptative cruise controll, line assist, eletric countroled and heated seats and sterring wheel and many more with only 23300 miles on the clock and 12 months varranty. 2.0 165BHP petrol.

20211230_162057.jpg

The Mazda 6 is a great car, and in my opinion better looking than a Lexus!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nezget said:

Thx John for your comments about bad dealer - it help me. This is mazda 6 but I also like mazda 3 sedan.

Regards

Tom

Happy to help Tom. Lots of people do not realise that more than 80% of such Dealers are less than forthcoming.

My mistake on the Mazda, as the angle foreshortened the image, so I guessed incorrectly.

Avoid the Diesel.

• Like 1

That's true John - if somebody want reliable japanese car he should stick to petrol one. A lot of problems with D4D in Lexus and Toyota, a lot with mazda 6 from the MK1, MK2, MK3, The same in Subaru, I think only Honda 2.2 diesel was not bad in the past - dont know how it is now.

3 minutes ago, nezget said:

That's true John - if somebody want reliable japanese car he should stick to petrol one. A lot of problems with D4D in Lexus and Toyota, a lot with mazda 6 from the MK1, MK2, MK3, The same in Subaru, I think only Honda 2.2 diesel was not bad in the past - dont know how it is now.

There were some problems with the diesel in the Accord, but you are spot on Tom. Stick with Japan and Petrol and autos if one can afford them.

Diesel problems all sprang from introduction of EU regimes of trying to control pollutants. Sadly Petrol engines now have them.

Just enjoy your Mazda 6 Tom.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, nezget said:

Hello, I gave up on Hilton Garage dealer ( not on lexus - that will be my next car maker in 99% ) but today I bought this Mazda approved vehicle because is also very nice looking like is 300h and its a full option ( including 11speakers bose sysytem, head up display, bi xenon, navigation, adaptative cruise controll, line assist, eletric countroled and heated seats and sterring wheel and many more with only 23300 miles on the clock and 12 months varranty.

20211230_162057.jpg

Great looking saloon and a very nice colour. The spec list is really impressive on those sportnavs.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Roy, although the guy does state at the start of the video it is purely his personal opinion and does also state that hes talking about 2010-2014 models so wouldnt have been relevant to this thread as the gentleman above has clearly bought a much newer model than 2014. Mazda 6 2010 -2014 was essentially a ford modeo in drag before Mazda separated from ford. Also all the issues he goes on about bar the oil pick up pipe are generic to all diesel cars (DPF,EGR turbos etc) of that generation due to emmision regs. MY personal experience is my partner has a 2015 Mazda 6 sky active diesel which appears to have the same spec as the model Tomas has bought. It now has 75k miles on the clock and has never missed a beat or cost her any money (if you dont count the front tyres it goes through) £15 to tax and gets better economy than my IS. That said ive driven it a fair amount and i dont like it, seats uncomfortable, Bose stereo not a patch on Lexus premium pack non ML system, doesnt feel as planted on the road and the HUD looks like its come from toys r us as it pops out the dash.

Tomaz you done well to avoid the Accord Diesel as Roy says, they are actually plagued with multiple issues, terminal timing chains, electrical problems not to mention big DPF bills. I was on the Accord forum for a few years as i had a petrol accord and the majority of the posts were related to expensive repairs and problems associated with the diesels.

To look at Mazda 6 is pretty special looking (Mrs has that dark deep red colour with dark 19inch rims) and offers amazing value for money given the spec so im sure it will turn out a great buy Tomas.

Rob

• Like 2