Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Could someone please explain what are the speed tones (not speed dial) in the phone settings? The manual says that up to 6 speed tones can be stored but it does not explain what is their function.  Thank you

29 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Could someone please explain what are the speed tones (not speed dial) in the phone settings? The manual says that up to 6 speed tones can be stored but it does not explain what is their function.  Thank you

Surely that's just speed dial?

For instance, to call home I just press 1; to call wife's mobile I press 2 and so on.

EDIT - ignore my post as I've just seen Peniole's explanation :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Surely that's just speed dial?

For instance, to call home I just press 1; to call wife's mobile I press 2 and so on.

No Herbs, I have already sorted the speed dial. It is just the speed tones which I don't understand.

38 minutes ago, peniole said:

e.g. pin entry for secure voice mail, you save the speed tone so you don't have to punch it in while driving

I still don't get it: the person who is calling me and whose number is stored in the speed tone will leave a message in my voicemail? I am confused.

29 minutes ago, serbarry said:

I still don't get it: the person who is calling me and whose number is stored in the speed tone will leave a message in my voicemail? I am confused.

I think, using that example, you have to imagine a scenario where you have, say, a business voicemail and any messages left on it could be confidential, so you need a pin number to access it.

I'm on Sky mobile and have no such need for secrecy, so if someone leaves me a voicemail I just dial the server on 759 and I get to hear the message. I think 'speed tones' are a step further, where you dial 759 and then you have to input a pin number, say 64026 - the speed tones will hold that pin number for you.

I'm only guessing but that's all I can come up with.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Herbie said:

I think, using that example, you have to imagine a scenario where you have, say, a business voicemail and any messages left on it could be confidential, so you need a pin number to access it.

I'm on Sky mobile and have no such need for secrecy, so if someone leaves me a voicemail I just dial the server on 759 and I get to hear the message. I think 'speed tones' are a step further, where you dial 759 and then you have to input a pin number, say 64026 - the speed tones will hold that pin number for you.

I'm only guessing but that's all I can come up with.

exactly right Hebs, this access is frequently used for doctors answering services which are not necessarily linked to your provider network thus requiring extra verification (also required for patient confidentiality).

• Like 1