Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2011 Ct200h, 27,000 miles, hybrid battery old but low miles ok?

mattyt1991

So I cocked up a little when I bought my current 2017 Honda Civic 1.8 petrol manual a year ago, it is a good car but just not that comfy and I miss the auto box way more than I thought I would. I had a Lexus IS250 before the Honda and loved it but it was a tad thirsty...

Used car prices are crazy so not a good time to buy but I have an itch. Not looking to add much money on top of selling the Honda so old or high mileage. There is a local Ct200h in premier SE-L spec with ML audio on for 13k, which is a hell of a lot for an 11 year old car but is actually ok in today's market. No right or wrong answer but looking for some wisdom on a) the car and b) is an older Battery likely to be ok if the mileage is low?

2 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

How much???????

Nothing wrong with a car that has a few miles under its belt. Sellers seem to think low miles equals high money.

Hybrid battery can be guaranteed by Lexus until 15 years old with a yearly check.

Yeah it is quite steep but to be fair the dealer has given me a very good price on my Honda Civic, nearly a straight swap and this Ct200h has been treated very well, been to Lexus dealer every year without fail, not a mark on the interior. I have overpaid but to be honest I am ok with it.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, mattyt1991 said:

Yeah it is quite steep but to be fair the dealer has given me a very good price on my Honda Civic, nearly a straight swap and this Ct200h has been treated very well, been to Lexus dealer every year without fail, not a mark on the interior. I have overpaid but to be honest I am ok with it.

congrats on the car - i've got he same one - 2011 SEL-PREMIER. if your worried about the hybrid Battery i can tell you mine has been fine and it's done 94k miles lol

go to lexus and pay £60 for a hybridh health check, it covers the hybdrid Battery for 1 year/10k miles - thats what I do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, mattyt1991 said:

If you are buying from a Motor Dealer then it is his responsibility for dealing with any significant problems (inc Battery)which arise within 6 months of your purchase.

If you buy then take it to your local Lexus Dealer and ask him to check it over for you. You can then approach the Motor Trader with the results if necessary.

Good luck.

If you purchase from a Lexus franchised dealer it will have 12 months used car warranty (which is pretty comprehensive). Then if you continue to get it serviced at a Lexus franchised dealer it will get a 10k mile / 12 month Relax Extended Warranty included in each service (until 10 years old / 100k miles) plus a hybrid health check and warranty (until 15 years old). An Extended Warranty can also be purchased from Lexus (approx £450 per annum) for when the car is between 10 and 15 years old (up to 150k miles) though the car has to continue to be serviced at Lexus franchised dealer for that to be valid. The upshot is that if you maintain the car at a Lexus franchised dealer you can pretty much keep the car under an Extended Warranty (free initially and later paid for including Battery and hybrid components) until the car is 15 years old (or reaches 150k miles). Appreciate people have different views on Extended Warranties but if it's something that interests you for peace of mind (Lexus repairs can be very expensive) then the Lexus one is one of the better ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

If you purchase from a Lexus franchised dealer it will have 12 months used car warranty (which is pretty comprehensive). Then if you continue to get it serviced at a Lexus franchised dealer it will get a 10k mile / 12 month Relax Extended Warranty included in each service (until 10 years old / 100k miles) plus a hybrid health check and warranty (until 15 years old). An Extended Warranty can also be purchased from Lexus (approx £450 per annum) for when the car is between 10 and 15 years old (up to 150k miles) though the car has to continue to be serviced at Lexus franchised dealer for that to be valid. The upshot is that if you maintain the car at a Lexus franchised dealer you can pretty much keep the car under an Extended Warranty (free initially and later paid for including battery and hybrid components) until the car is 15 years old (or reaches 150k miles). Appreciate people have different views on Extended Warranties but if it's something that interests you for peace of mind (Lexus repairs can be very expensive) then the Lexus one is one of the better ones.

"An Extended Warranty can also be purchased from Lexus (approx £450 per annum) for when the car is between 10 and 15 years old (up to 150k miles) though the car has to continue to be serviced at Lexus franchised dealer for that to be valid. The upshot is that if you maintain the car at a Lexus franchised dealer you can pretty much keep the car under an Extended Warranty (free initially and later paid for including Battery and hybrid components) until the car is 15 years old (or reaches 150k miles)."

Phil, you have mentioned the new Extended Warranty for cars 10-15 years old , previously and you and I have had some brief exchanges about it.Very amicable exchanges I should add. I have approached Lexus Chester a couple of times and have yet to receive a definitive response from them. I have let it pass as I am still on the Lexus Extended Warranty which has recently been withdrawn from Sale, but can you explain what you know definitively, a little

further,please?

In particular, I ;

am not certain that is available from ALL LEXUS DEALERS,

Don`t know who are the Administrators (TGW?) of the Scheme,

have not seen the Terms and Conditions of the Scheme.

cannot recall of any Member reporting that they have it.

am not aware of a schedule of charges for particular models.

Many thanks Phil.

17 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

"An Extended Warranty can also be purchased from Lexus (approx £450 per annum) for when the car is between 10 and 15 years old (up to 150k miles) though the car has to continue to be serviced at Lexus franchised dealer for that to be valid. The upshot is that if you maintain the car at a Lexus franchised dealer you can pretty much keep the car under an Extended Warranty (free initially and later paid for including battery and hybrid components) until the car is 15 years old (or reaches 150k miles)."

Phil, you have mentioned the new Extended Warranty for cars 10-15 years old , previously and you and I have had some brief exchanges about it.Very amicable exchanges I should add. I have approached Lexus Chester a couple of times and have yet to receive a definitive response from them. I have let it pass as I am still on the Lexus Extended Warranty which has recently been withdrawn from Sale, but can you explain what you know definitively, a little

further,please?

In particular, I ;

Many thanks Phil.

Hi John - as far as I know the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" should be available through all franchised dealers - I purchased mine in October last year through Lexus Jemca - don't know if anyone else on this forum has purchased it but Jemca were well aware of the warranty and LED me through the application process on the phone without any problems (other than a few IT niggles at their end). The scheme administrators are still TWG but the company that provides the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" and ultimately pays all valid claims made under it is Toyota (GB) PLC (Lexus Division) - this is same as the old Extended Warranty. Not sure of the charges on a model by model basis but my IS 300h was £474 (for the one year, which includes roadside assistance as previously) - I would have thought the GS would be slightly more and the CT slightly less as I think that was the case with the old extended warranty pricing. T&Cs of the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" are pretty much line for line same as the old extended warranty other than the multimedia system now being excluded.

Here is a copy of what I posted in October last year with all the details I had after purchasing my "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" - if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Following previous discussions about Lexus Relax and Extended Warranty I have started this new thread with my current experience with the Extended Warranty. 

My current Extended Warranty on my Lexus IS 300h is due to expire early November. After the announcement of Relax (and the removal of the Extended Warranty from the Lexus website) I had spoken to Jemca (who I use for all my Lexus requirements) a few months ago and they had confirmed that an Extended Warranty will still exist for cars that fall outside Relax.

My car is a 2014 registration IS 300h that has now done just under 108,000 miles and so this week I called Jemca to discuss an Extended Warranty. Here is what is on offer comparing the T&Cs of a new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty with the old Extended Warranty I currently have in place:

• The new warranty is called Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty
  • It is for approved Lexus vehicles up to 15 years old, subject to 150,000 mileage limit - the old Extended Warranty was for approved Lexus vehicles up to 10 years old and 140,000 miles, so the new extended warranty covers vehicles for longer in this respect
  • It is only available for vehicles that are between 10 and 15 years old and/or 100,000 and 150,000 miles – Relax extended warranty automatically applies to all cars under 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles
  • The 2-4-1 offer is not available on the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty – only one year at a time - the cost for my IS 300h is £474 for one year (the old one was £795 for two years), it can be paid either up front or in 10 interest free monthly instalments
  • The car must still be serviced to schedule by a franchised Lexus dealer (as per the old extended warranty)
  • It still includes the Lexus Roadside Assistance same as the old one did (note that Relax extended warranty does not include Lexus Roadside Assistance)
  • The company that provides the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and ultimately pays all valid claims made under it is Toyota (GB) PLC (Lexus Division), and the administrator of the warranty is TWG Services Limited – this is all the same as the old one
  • It doesn’t include the MoT testing fee (though I understand some of the old extended warranty didn’t either, although mine did include two MoT test fees)
  • In Excluded Parts for the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty it specifically lists “Multi media components or in car entertainment systems, including but not limited to satellite navigation, CD/DVD systems, audio visual equipment and Bluetooth connectivity. Components will be covered under the Warranty if the failure results in the non-operation of an essential vehicle system, eg, air conditioning controls, heated screen operation and the parking assistance system.” - this is an additional exclusion in the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and as per previous forum discussion it mirrors the exclusion in the Relax extended warranty - I wonder whether it may be due to owners trying to do map updates themselves (that are the “dealer only” updates according to Lexus) or other modifications and bricking the system? – otherwise seems a strange exclusion and has been specifically added for both Relax and this new Extended Warranty

Comparing the T&Cs of the old Extended Warranty and the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty clause by clause, then other than a few minor changes in wording (usually to clarify things) this is everything I could deduce.

On that basis I have gone ahead and taken out the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty on my IS 300h for the coming year. Although slightly more expensive that the old extended warranty I still think it’s value for money considering the age/mileage of my car and the fact it includes the Lexus Roadside Assistance which would be £125 if purchased separately (and my wife’s car also benefits from the free partner included with this). I have made successful claims on the Extended Warranty previously and so know that Lexus parts / labour can be expensive.

I hope this helps others in similar position to myself - first point of contact to discuss further is probably your local franchised dealer. As always, I appreciate whether or not to take an Extended Warranty is a choice based on personal circumstances – it suits me but YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

"An Extended Warranty can also be purchased from Lexus (approx £450 per annum) for when the car is between 10 and 15 years old (up to 150k miles) though the car has to continue to be serviced at Lexus franchised dealer for that to be valid. The upshot is that if you maintain the car at a Lexus franchised dealer you can pretty much keep the car under an Extended Warranty (free initially and later paid for including battery and hybrid components) until the car is 15 years old (or reaches 150k miles)."

further,please?

In particular, I ;

Many thanks Phil.

TWG, American multi national with global reach, have agreements with Audi Toyota VW etc. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

TWG, American multi national with global reach, have agreements with Audi Toyota VW etc. 

Yes, they administer the Extended Warranty for Lexus but from the wording in the T&Cs it's actually Toyota that pays actually picks up the cost for Extended Warranty claims - the clause is: "The company that provides the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and ultimately pays all valid claims made under it is Toyota (GB) PLC (Lexus Division), and the administrator of the warranty is TWG Services Limited" - this gives me more reassurance (that Toyota are ultimately involved) than it just being a simple 3rd party extended warranty. It may be the same for other manufacturers too but not seen any other T&Cs for them.

I can confirm that I too have the Lexus 10 year plus warranty, and took it out in November of last year. Cost was £546 for an RX450h, and includes UK and European breakdown cover.

If I recall correctly, the dealer wasn't aware of this when I first asked, and so I called Lexus UK and they emailed them the details. After that it was plain sailing.

As stated above, and according to the paperwork, the administrator is TWG and the warranty provider is Toyota (GB) Ltd.

I believe they check/approve vehicle first and annual servicing has to be carried out by Lexus. For the record, I purchased my car from an independent dealer rather than a Lexus main dealer. I also got the impression (might be wrong though) that it didn't matter where bought, or whether it had a full Lexus service history, as long as it passed their inspection, and future servicing was done by Lexus. That said, apart from the selling dealers oil change prior to supply, all prior servicing on mine was carried out by Lexus.

• Like 2

I had a 2006 Prius before my Lexus. It had the 10 year warranty on the hybrid drive & Battery. At 11 years old the Battery failed.

Toyota dealer said he'd only ever seen about 6 fail, but could still get me a new one for £1600 the next day! It does seem I was unlucky though, but shudder to think what Lexus charge for the same unit.

4 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Hybrid health check gives an additional 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes sooner) warranty extension. Up to 15 years old but no mention of overall mileage.

So as the CT needs to be serviced every 10k miles or yearly (whatever comes first) to get the hybrid warranty, that would appear to limit you to 150K miles in total, even if not mentioned. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

So as the CT needs to be serviced every 10k miles or yearly (whatever comes first) to get the hybrid warranty, that would appear to limit you to 150K miles in total, even if not mentioned. Am I missing something?

It is/was mentioned by implication when I read it Maurice. 15 years @10,000 miles = a total warranty cover of 150,000 miles as you rightly say. It is an annual cover of 10,000 from each service for 15 years.

It is not an accumulated figure. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moleman said:

I'm not sure that's right Maurice, as if you were to do 30k a year for the first 5 years, and then 10k a year after that you'd be over 150k miles for those last 10 years.

According to the wording, the Battery would run out of waranty for each of the first 5 years, but remain in warranty for the last 10, despite being well over 150k miles total.

Does anyone know if I'm assuming correctly?

10 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I'm not sure that's right Maurice, as if you were to do 30k a year for the first 5 years, and then 10k a year after that you'd be over 150k miles for those last 10 years.

According to the wording, the battery would run out of waranty for each of the first 5 years, but remain in warranty for the last 10, despite being well over 150k miles total.

Does anyone know if I'm assuming correctly?

Best not to assume Bill. Did you read my response above ?