Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Lost car keys.


Vlady
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all , I have lost one of the keys for my GS450h (wifes BMW too)! Phoned Lexus to find the price to replace but there is only one guy who is working so they should call me back. Any idea what the cost of replacement keys are? I still another key. Also I my car has keyless entrance and start, will that have an effect on price?

Any advice? I think my keys are covered through insurance, if I contact them, will it be a considered as a claim?

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's very annoying Vlad.  When you say lost, I am assuming you mean somewhere in the house?  If not, you might want to ask Lexus to also remove the lost key from the car's ECU.

Not sure exactly on price, but I seem to recall Mk3 GS's as being ~£300.

I don't think claiming through insurance is considered a claim (like for a windscreen), but if you call them to get it started the person you speak to should be able to confirm for you.

Good luck!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

That's very annoying Vlad.  When you say lost, I am assuming you mean somewhere in the house?  If not, you might want to ask Lexus to also remove the lost key from the car's ECU.

Not sure exactly on price, but I seem to recall Mk3 GS's as being ~£300.

I don't think claiming through insurance is considered a claim (like for a windscreen), but if you call them to get it started the person you speak to should be able to confirm for you.

Good luck!

Hi, Merry Christmas! 😉

I have lost them not in the house, I/we (my wife or I) have lost them in Edinburgh Airport on on the way to Airport, after we parked and locked the car on Long Stay parking. When we came back from holidays we couldn't find the keys in our possession and we defo did not see them while we were on holidays!

This never happened to me before, I usually very careful with the stuff like that but having 2 kids, 4 large rucksacks and a baggy (my wife hates to pay crazy money for check-in luggage) makes it easy to forget something plus my pockets were not deep enough to hold the keys.

I can't remember when I saw them last time, for all I know I could put them on the tray during security check with all other stuff, so I could have left it there, do not know! 😞

I already filled a Police form which provided my with a Lost Property Number, so a call to insurance to follow, at lease to find out what is the procedure. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Hi, Merry Christmas! 😉

I have lost them not in the house, I/we (my wife or I) have lost them in Edinburgh Airport on on the way to Airport, after we parked and locked the car on Long Stay parking. When we came back from holidays we couldn't find the keys in our possession and we defo did not see them while we were on holidays!

This never happened to me before, I usually very careful with the stuff like that but having 2 kids, 4 large rucksacks and a baggy (my wife hates to pay crazy money for check-in luggage) makes it easy to forget something plus my pockets were not deep enough to hold the keys.

I can't remember when I saw them last time, for all I know I could put them on the tray during security check with all other stuff, so I could have left it there, do not know! 😞

I already filled a Police form which provided my with a Lost Property Number, so a call to insurance to follow, at lease to find out what is the procedure. 

Merry Christmas to you as well 🙂

Sounds like a nightmare when you got back!

I assume you have tried contacting their lost and found, just in case?

https://www.edinburghairport.com/help/lost-property-and-left-luggage

Fingers crossed you get a response from the dealer soon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I phoned Edinburgh Airport and they have no keys but took my details in case someone will hand them in.

The end of this year is terrible - light bike crash, car crash, lost keys, I had enough!

Usually my year ends with the burst tyre, this one was much more severe!

Had a phone call from Lexus, they will call me back with the price but sounds like it might be up to £450! The BMW key might cost the same!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

just wondering if your RAC or AA cover etc covers lost keys ... or is that only when you're in an emergency situation with them maybe :unsure:

Malc

Hi Malc, I will check my bank cover but doubt they cover car keys, they are more like travel cover, phone cover and if your car broke down, they will get you home and the car to garage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a call from Lexus, £450 for a new key, with the blade. They said I can get it cheaper as I am a Lexus Owner Club member! 🙂

Will contact in January my insurance to find out what's the deal with the Lost keys.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was looking for a third key just out of curiosity and came across this which will be suitable for my IS250 as the numbers match but don't know about yours. Apparently, quite east to program a new key with techstream although I haven't tried. I must say, I have had a VW key from Aliexpress in the past and it worked a treat. Just goes to show what outrageous prices , Lexus charge.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003165123730.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.468b3c002i9D84&mp=1

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Will only be of use to you if you travel down south at all, but I recently got a new fob, blade, programming and cutting for £170 for an RX450h from a guy off eBay. His listing claims he can do other models. He took about half an hour to do it all and the replacement works perefectly.  Like I said, only helpful if you're planning a trip down south, as he's in East London, but may be of use to others.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

I was looking for a third key just out of curiosity and came across this which will be suitable for my IS250 as the numbers match but don't know about yours. Apparently, quite east to program a new key with techstream although I haven't tried. I must say, I have had a VW key from Aliexpress in the past and it worked a treat. Just goes to show what outrageous prices , Lexus charge.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003165123730.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.468b3c002i9D84&mp=1

Thanks @bernieeccles, did the key from Aliexpress come fully programmed? Or you had to programme it yourself via Techstream?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Will only be of use to you if you travel down south at all, but I recently got a new fob, blade, programming and cutting for £170 for an RX450h from a guy off ebay. His listing claims he can do other models. He took about half an hour to do it all and the replacement works perefectly.  Like I said, only helpful if you're planning a trip down south, as he's in East London, but may be of use to others.

It should be something like that up North too, I haven't looked at it yet. Thanks though, it is good to know that it can be done not just via Lexus delear!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found an expensive looking phone left on a chair at security in Lanzarote airport a few weeks ago and handed it in to one of the security guys so hopefully got reunited with its owner.

Could you not claim off your travel insurance seeing as it was lost on a holiday?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always keep a label, with my mobile number written on it, attached to my car's keyring. It's been very useful already once when I lost the keys and the person who found them rang me to give them back to me. I would suggest you to do the same for the future 😉.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, serbarry said:

I always keep a label, with my mobile number written on it, attached to my car's keyring. It's been very useful already once when I lost the keys and the person who found them rang me to give them back to me. I would suggest you to do the same for the future 😉.

Thats a very good idea and I will do it as well! It's just it never happened to me before so I didn't need it! What labels do you use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I found an expensive looking phone left on a chair at security in Lanzarote airport a few weeks ago and handed it in to one of the security guys so hopefully got reunited with its owner.

Could you not claim off your travel insurance seeing as it was lost on a holiday?

Steve, I am not sure but if car insurance will be too greedy or not cooperating than I will check my travel insurance too. Thanks for the idea! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Thats a very good idea and I will do it as well! It's just it never happened to me before so I didn't need it! What labels do you use?

Those coloured plastic labels which are usually for keys to write something on them. You can find in any... we call them "2 euros shop" or any ironmonger shop should have them. They only cost 1 euro or less here in Ireland. Like these in the link below but on eBay they are expensive

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=plastic+labels+for+keys&_sacat=0

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership