Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Windscreen scratch


DTR
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all

My first post here. I acquired my ES F Sport (white) in June 2021. Love the car ; Mrs DJK says that she feels a royal wave would be appropriate as we drift past pedestrians. We’ve never had an automatic before and thanks to Covid, mileage has been very limited. Only now adjusting to a different style of motoring after a series of manual and highish revving Hondas (no Type R/s though).

Not a brilliant start when somebody drove into the back of it after a couple of weeks. Damage was minimal and sorted out efficiently by the insurance company.

At last to the point of the post; I have a very fine scratch across the windscreen. It is only visible when driving into the low sun. Probably caused my a minute piece of gravel on the wiper blade. I have tried to polish it out with car polish to no effect. Any helpful suggestions please?

I had to have a new windscreen on my last Civic.  I know what a performance that was and also how much it costs.  I would rather not follow that route again.

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year,

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously your car is not subject to an MOT at the moment but would it fail given the position?

With fully comprehensive insurance I would contact Lexus for advice and if they say a replacement is required get a genuine one fitted by them.

Making a windscreen claim does not normally affect your NCB but there will be an excess to pay, this is normally less if you use the insurer’s “approved” supplier but you don’t have to if you don’t trust “Fit it Quik Windscreens Ltd”

Also there is no immediate requirement for replacement so even a couple of months waiting for the OEM part is not too bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, DTR said:

Hi all

My first post here. I acquired my ES F Sport (white) in June 2021. Love the car ; Mrs DJK says that she feels a royal wave would be appropriate as we drift past pedestrians. We’ve never had an automatic before and thanks to Covid, mileage has been very limited. Only now adjusting to a different style of motoring after a series of manual and highish revving Hondas (no Type R/s though).

Not a brilliant start when somebody drove into the back of it after a couple of weeks. Damage was minimal and sorted out efficiently by the insurance company.

At last to the point of the post; I have a very fine scratch across the windscreen. It is only visible when driving into the low sun. Probably caused my a minute piece of gravel on the wiper blade. I have tried to polish it out with car polish to no effect. Any helpful suggestions please?

I had to have a new windscreen on my last Civic.  I know what a performance that was and also how much it costs.  I would rather not follow that route again.

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year,

Dave

If it’s a light scratch - that is one you can’t feel with your fingernail - then try CarPro Ceriglass. I’ve used it to good effect a couple of times. The trick is to get the supplied hard pad damp and then really work the affected area. Takes a while by hand but does make a difference in my experience.

17F217DD-D907-4FC6-A4F9-426B11CEFB50.thumb.jpeg.cf325520d9a923411ab23cb7484deff0.jpeg35E562BC-DC3F-4470-89D7-A640A6A37700.thumb.jpeg.59bdc9941e242af01f298bc701b32d9f.jpeg

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your suggestions. As has been said, no panic to get it sorted so I shall wait until the holidays are well over and consult with my dealer. Reviews of the Car Pro stuff look good but I am concerned about any surface treatment on the glass.

Dave

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DTR said:

Thanks for your suggestions. As has been said, no panic to get it sorted so I shall wait until the holidays are well over and consult with my dealer. Reviews of the Car Pro stuff look good but I am concerned about any surface treatment on the glass.

Dave

 

So you are concerned about replacing the windscreen and concerned about polishing it out. Rock and a hard place I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


20 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Making a windscreen claim does not normally affect your NCB

Steve, maybe this should be another post Forum  item .......  when I last renewed my car insurances I was reminded that I still had to mention the actual Claim for a replacement windscreen  ......  whilst not held against one at renewal ........... however I'm thinking it might not be too long before the insurers do actually treat this as a Claim formally to affect one's NCB etc and  " UP "  the annual premium accordingly

I hope not but there we are, who trusts insurers to actually really act in the very best interests of their clients !

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have automatic wipers don't even consider getting it replaced anywhere other than the dealer, the rain sensor will never work properly again and the likes of AutoGlass will not care or help you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

If you have automatic wipers don't even consider getting it replaced anywhere other than the dealer, the rain sensor will never work properly again and the likes of AutoGlass will not care or help you.

My last NX had a windscreen replacement (through insurance) with National Windscreens. A perfect job, no issues with calibration of radar cruise, automatic wipers or anything else. They used a genuine Lexus windscreen too.

That was the Newbury branch, and I’d highly recommend them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 7:22 PM, m4rkw said:

If you have automatic wipers don't even consider getting it replaced anywhere other than the dealer, the rain sensor will never work properly again and the likes of AutoGlass will not care or help you.

A friend of mine makes a living from recalibrating the ADAS systems after cars have had a new windscreen. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a very light scratch on mine which I can see when light streams at a certain angle but it is on the inside.  The original owner was a lady and my guess is she used her hand to clear he screen and a diamond ring caused the scratch - seen this before.  I will try the suggested remedy but having spent a very long time using another preparation on the outside scratch of another car unsuccessfully, I am rather sceptical about it working unless the scratch  is very superficial.  Interested to know how OP gets on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Talk to some of the national auto windscreen companies like Autoglass etc.   They have equipment that will machine polish out scratches using special glass polishing compounds but is only successful with machine polishing equipment.   You will have seen those Youtube videos where they show the full restoration of plastic headlamp lenses from very dull to crystal clear.  It's the same process for actual glass surfaces but needs a level of experience to remove fine scratches in glass.    Headlamp lenses are restored by various grades of sanding paper discs from 80 to 1500 and glass requires various grades of pastes for the same results.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks again for your suggestions. I am intending to contact my dealer (Nottingham Lexus) for their advice. I would prefer to leave it in their hands or to use a local franchisee should they recommend one. To be fair when my local branch of Autoglass replaced the screen on my Civic, I had no subsequent problems with active cruise control, auto wipers etc. They insisted that the car was full to the brim with fuel and all stuff removed from the boot etc. In addition the replacement was done at the branch to ensure the car was on a horizontal surface during the set up of the ADAS.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should have said, this is not a huge priority for me at tha moment. However, I will report back on the situation as it happens.

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I contacted the dealer. Informed that they did not repair or do anything with windscreens. Recommended to contact local specialist. I expected a more helpful response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership