Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seriously considering a ISF

Greetings ISF owners!

I've always considered an ISF however my work commute which used to vary anything from 600 miles a month to 2000 miles a month made it difficult however this wont be much of a problem going forward as I'm working from home 95% of the time partly due to covid and also a change of job role.

I currently drive a E91 Alpina D3 Bi-turbo Touring and for the weekend a Honda Integra Type R DC2, which is in the process of renovation. I've owned the Integra for over 13 years however i'm considering parting with the car as I hardly drive the car and to be frank, insurance, mot, tax, serving cost for something which is hardly used is too much justify for the occasional weekend kick.

I bought the Alpina a few years ago and usually I keep my cars for alot longer however given this whole discussion about petrol/ environment I would like a stab at the ISF. Given I'll only do 150 miles or so a month for work, the rest will be pleasure its never been a better time! I find myself spirted driving the Alpina which does deliver but nothing beats a NA motor, the Integra is just a little too raw for me, I questioned how I drove that car as a daily when I first bought it lol! I have owed a B8 RS4 in the past, great engine, super quick but lacked total feel so I didn't keep it for long, also had few problems which to be fair was sorted under warranty but was a ticking ticking time bomb. BTW going from an estate to a Saloon isn't an issue, I like having a wagon but hardly use the boot for anything large!

However the overall size of the car worries me a little hence seeing one in person would be great. I've never been in a ISF nor locked at one close. I was hoping to connect to some owners around the North West, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cheshire. Ideally someone who likes to explore the B roads and get some feedback on suspension, handling etc. Im in no rush as such, but i hope by close of summer to be in a ISF.

Thank you

Imy

• Like 2

Hi Imy,

Sadly you're too far from me to be able to help out in regards to taking you out in mine.

They're fantastic cars for what they are and I think you're definitely at the point where being in one will either sell it to you or not. What I would suggest though is preparing for a potential long wait if you're specific about what you want. I wanted a 2010+ USB model without a sunroof and a black interior, and I only managed 3 out of 4 of those requirements after a 6 month wait.  Oddly I like the white leather now, but it wasn't my initial preference.

As an owner I'd say it's such a fun car to drive and own. They're rare amongst the JDM enthusiast groups and seem to be a car that gets a lot of views from the general public. I've had a few more people than I thought pass positive comments on it and want to engage about it. They're great fun to drive spirited on quiet B roads or sensibly around town. They're not a 'grandad' car by any means or an "out and out' bruiser like a C63. I am more of your older classic style JDM owner and I'm not wowed by the latest tech, which is why I really like my IS compared to say the RCF. I test drove the RCF and it was certainly newer inside, which is where the ISF loses points as they are and will eventually date depending on the type of owner you are. I wasn't looking for that when buying so it didn't bother me and you can always tweek a car to meet your requirements. My ISF now runs Android Auto for example.

Around town they drink fuel as you would expect, but on long runs I've hit 31mpg and 29mpg when cruising (with the odd bit of fun).

Reliability wise I don't want to tempt any bad luck but we certainly don't get as many issues here as the US (sticky dash, valley plate), but look out for a ticking exhaust on cold start!

There's plenty of info here and feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.

Rich

IMG_20211123_151252_310.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RichGS11 said:

Hi Imy,

Sadly you're too far from me to be able to help out in regards to taking you out in mine.

They're fantastic cars for what they are and I think you're definitely at the point where being in one will either sell it to you or not. What I would suggest though is preparing for a potential long wait if you're specific about what you want. I wanted a 2010+ USB model without a sunroof and a black interior, and I only managed 3 out of 4 of those requirements after a 6 month wait.  Oddly I like the white leather now, but it wasn't my initial preference.

As an owner I'd say it's such a fun car to drive and own. They're rare amongst the JDM enthusiast groups and seem to be a car that gets a lot of views from the general public. I've had a few more people than I thought pass positive comments on it and want to engage about it. They're great fun to drive spirited on quiet B roads or sensibly around town. They're not a 'grandad' car by any means or an "out and out' bruiser like a C63. I am more of your older classic style JDM owner and I'm not wowed by the latest tech, which is why I really like my IS compared to say the RCF. I test drove the RCF and it was certainly newer inside, which is where the ISF loses points as they are and will eventually date depending on the type of owner you are. I wasn't looking for that when buying so it didn't bother me and you can always tweek a car to meet your requirements. My ISF now runs Android Auto for example.

Around town they drink fuel as you would expect, but on long runs I've hit 31mpg and 29mpg when cruising (with the odd bit of fun).

Reliability wise I don't want to tempt any bad luck but we certainly don't get as many issues here as the US (sticky dash, valley plate), but look out for a ticking exhaust on cold start!

There's plenty of info here and feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.

Rich

IMG_20211123_151252_310.jpg

Thanks for the detailed response.

For me a black leather interior is a must, sunroof would be nice but can live without.

Paint colour prefer, black, grey, or the orange rusty colour, blues good too.

I read that later cars with the euro 6 engines are a little slower? 

2010 cars with LSD will be great, however i'd be willing to fit my own to an earlier car. Any owners on here put a aftermarket LSD in? Some feedback on this matter will be great. Also I read that the later suspension is a little more suited to the roads, is this direct swap? I think those lower arm bush upgrade is a must to tighten up the steering.

Hopefully they are some owners lurking up North I can connect with.

40 minutes ago, gb1600e said:

Well I regret selling mine 14 months ago and thinking of buying another one now. Life just isn't the same without an F

I hope I dont feel the pain when selling the Honda Integra, for me the lack of use justifies the sale. knowing my luck the car will double in its value after i sell it lol

1 hour ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

Thanks for the detailed response.

For me a black leather interior is a must, sunroof would be nice but can live without.

Paint colour prefer, black, grey, or the orange rusty colour, blues good too.

I read that later cars with the euro 6 engines are a little slower? 

2010 cars with LSD will be great, however i'd be willing to fit my own to an earlier car. Any owners on here put a aftermarket LSD in? Some feedback on this matter will be great. Also I read that the later suspension is a little more suited to the roads, is this direct swap? I think those lower arm bush upgrade is a must to tighten up the steering.

Hopefully they are some owners lurking up North I can connect with.

Ahh that's good. At least you're pretty flexible with what you want. I did hear that some later ISF's are slower but not sure why.

You can change the LSD which I didn't know about at the time. I don't know of many people here that have but on ClubLexus.com I'm sure you'll find a few.

I also cannot comment on the suspension. Mine was knocking end of the year so I replaced it with BC coilovers. We have a local motorsport/garage that supply them with proper balancing and corner weighting, so I jumped at that. I went with 18kg and 14kg spring rates to get close to OEM as I liked the ride. Yes getting USRS bushings are a good start and something to change when addressing suspension. RCF and GSF have uprated bushings and these fit the ISF.

• Like 2

Best car I ever owned. Always a pleasure to enjoy the whole experience driving it.

Buy one - you will not regret it if you have deep pockets. Tax - £600 pa OUCH!

20mpg. Performance - scary. Comfort - superb. Ambience and Style - Wonderful.1670048106_IsFDec2012-Copy.thumb.jpg.16648a0c80fccc266296acce8fd6f8e3.jpg

2012, 58K miles, Last service £310, Only available when I am dead.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, RichGS11 said:

Ahh that's good. At least you're pretty flexible with what you want. I did hear that some later ISF's are slower but not sure why.

You can change the LSD which I didn't know about at the time. I don't know of many people here that have but on ClubLexus.com I'm sure you'll find a few.

I also cannot comment on the suspension. Mine was knocking end of the year so I replaced it with BC coilovers. We have a local motorsport/garage that supply them with proper balancing and corner weighting, so I jumped at that. I went with 18kg and 14kg spring rates to get close to OEM as I liked the ride. Yes getting USRS bushings are a good start and something to change when addressing suspension. RCF and GSF have uprated bushings and these fit the ISF.

Given the number of cars in the UK one cant be too fussy, for example my Alpina touring is 1 of 73! I waited almost a year for one to come up and was bought within hours of it coming on sale, i still remember sorting out the paperwork and the sellers phone was going of the hook! Being manual and fitted with most of the desirable options makes it rare, although high mileage it will sell quite quickly. A later ISF would be preferred but have no problem getting  an  earlier car and spending the money on the suspension, bushings and potentially the diff. Also probably due to the lack of cars on for sale there is a quite a price difference on preface lift and facelift cars.

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Best car I ever owned. Always a pleasure to enjoy the whole experience driving it.

Buy one - you will not regret it if you have deep pockets. Tax - £600 pa OUCH!

20mpg. Performance - scary. Comfort - superb. Ambience and Style - Wonderful.1670048106_IsFDec2012-Copy.thumb.jpg.16648a0c80fccc266296acce8fd6f8e3.jpg

2012, 58K miles, Last service £310, Only available when I am dead.

Thanks GMB for posting. Tax doesn't bother me i'm playing close to that across both my cars and having owned a RS4 in the past the £600 bracket i suppose its the cost for enjoyment?

These cars are a dying breed and miss having a NA V8, M3 has a special place in my heart but cost of maintenance and crucially reliability puts me off. I can see your not a million miles away from me id love a nosey around your car and will happily pay towards fuel for a passenger ride over some open roads.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

Given the number of cars in the UK one cant be too fussy, for example my Alpina touring is 1 of 73! I waited almost a year for one to come up and was bought within hours of it coming on sale, i still remember sorting out the paperwork and the sellers phone was going of the hook! Being manual and fitted with most of the desirable options makes it rare, although high mileage it will sell quite quickly. A later ISF would be preferred but have no problem getting  an  earlier car and spending the money on the suspension, bushings and potentially the diff. Also probably due to the lack of cars on for sale there is a quite a price difference on preface lift and facelift cars.

Thanks GMB for posting. Tax doesn't bother me i'm playing close to that across both my cars and having owned a RS4 in the past the £600 bracket i suppose its the cost for enjoyment?

These cars are a dying breed and miss having a NA V8, M3 has a special place in my heart but cost of maintenance and crucially reliability puts me off. I can see your not a million miles away from me id love a nosey around your car and will happily pay towards fuel for a passenger ride over some open roads.

Hi Imy

I would love to oblige with a test drive if I could but for the following reasons.

The car is in hiding - Insurance company told me they are stolen to order for export and insist on a tracker, so it doesn't go out much and very careful if followed. Sounds a bit paranoid but it happened to a neighbour when they were followed home. I called the Police while they were stealing the car but they were "too busy".

I don't ( or rarely ) extend the performance so the ride might be a bit boring. When the car goes for it I am very quickly in "banned" territory. It has already happened twice (banned for speeding - sorry everyone)!!! It just goes faster even more quickly as the speed rises and you are soon over a hundred without trying ( especially when Audi's are about ).

It doesn't go out in bad or wintry weather - it's a pampered pet.

You will have to take my word for it. It is amazing.

Really sorry to disappoint.

320718604_IsF-Copy.thumb.jpg.4f2f94054d5917d7ac37d1bde7173de9.jpg

4 hours ago, GMB said:

Hi Imy

I would love to oblige with a test drive if I could but for the following reasons.

The car is in hiding - Insurance company told me they are stolen to order for export and insist on a tracker, so it doesn't go out much and very careful if followed. Sounds a bit paranoid but it happened to a neighbour when they were followed home. I called the Police while they were stealing the car but they were "too busy".

I don't ( or rarely ) extend the performance so the ride might be a bit boring. When the car goes for it I am very quickly in "banned" territory. It has already happened twice (banned for speeding - sorry everyone)!!! It just goes faster even more quickly as the speed rises and you are soon over a hundred without trying ( especially when Audi's are about ).

Hey its kool not to worry, I totally understand your point of view 👍

5 hours ago, GMB said:

Hi Imy

Stolen to order? I've not heard that about the ISF. They don't usually command that much money and are not classed as that kind of car. Mines always locked away or in a place it's safe, but stolen to order is a new one to me.

52 minutes ago, RichGS11 said:

Stolen to order? I've not heard that about the ISF. They don't usually command that much money and are not classed as that kind of car. Mines always locked away or in a place it's safe, but stolen to order is a new one to me.

According to my Insurance broker they are usually stolen in the UK for breaking. For some reason they like the engine😏. Plus the other bits fetch a tidy sum.

After I had paid the insurance they told me that it has to have a Thatcham tracker. That cost over £500 including subscription.

Dubai, Oman and other African countries are the favourites for complete cars. But I see the point, they are not exactly a common sight. But now that the Police don't exist anymore, It's a soft touch.

I agree, Range Rover, BMW, Audi and Mercs are the standard fodder but who wants one of those unreliable tin lizzies?

U won’t be disappointed, I’ve had mine for nearly 8 years now, 08-09 are slightly faster, LSD is a personal thing (can’t comment) but heard it’s only slightly noticeable on a track/track environment 🤷🏼‍♂️…….. (had a set of GSF manifolds as can be prone to cracking on one branch) other than that I’ve not spent anything on mine other than service costs…… Red, blue n white are rarest…..in that order, other think to make sure of it rad/oil cooler replacement has been done, can fail inside out with no noticeable corrosion, most have done this on a preventative measure……. Sunroof was the only U.K. option available so they’re hard to come by……. Mine is under £250 a year to insure with no insurance stipulations……. As others I’m way away from your location, but they are definitely a wolf in sheeps clothing…… good luck with your quest 

0DE00F66-7064-48EB-8671-FF283B8F91E7.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMB said:

According to my Insurance broker they are usually stolen in the UK for breaking. For some reason they like the engine😏. Plus the other bits fetch a tidy sum.

After I had paid the insurance they told me that it has to have a Thatcham tracker. That cost over £500 including subscription.

Dubai, Oman and other African countries are the favourites for complete cars. But I see the point, they are not exactly a common sight. But now that the Police don't exist anymore, It's a soft touch.

I agree, Range Rover, BMW, Audi and Mercs are the standard fodder but who wants one of those unreliable tin lizzies?

Well I shall be extra vigilant! Thanks

If you purchase an earlier car without the LSD and want to stay in the OEM parts bin. The non torque vectoring differential for the RCF and GSF is the same as the OEM LSD diff for the later ISF's (2010 onwards). Even the housing and mounting points are the same from vague memory 🤔, a couple of our fellow F'ers state side have successfully swapped them over.

The later suspension is also transferable, you have to change the rear bump stops to accommodate. 2013-2014 cars received a different rear suspension layout from reading around. But springs and shocks are interchangeable across years. 

As mentioned above, radiator swap is preferable, I did mine on the drive at home and it wasn't in the best shape externally at 11 and a bit years old. I had a cracked manifold but was covered under warranty, sandly I missed the trick of the GSF manifold swap when it was done. And a good service history although it's hard to be picky with so little of them in the UK. 

Mine is a 2008, I can't say I've personally been lusting for the LSD under normal and spirited road use.

Although my front lower wishbone bushes have recently past their best and need changing, I'm getting inner tyre wear so the RR-Racing USRS Bushes may be getting ordered soon.

Whilst Later cars do get the nicer headlights, stereo finish, LSD, different suspension, I wouldn't discount the earlier models entirely. All are excellent packages, just wrapped a little differently and can be made the same.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 4969_LXS said:

If you purchase an earlier car without the LSD and want to stay in the OEM parts bin. The non torque vectoring differential for the RCF and GSF is the same as the OEM LSD diff for the later ISF's (2010 onwards). Even the housing and mounting points are the same from vague memory 🤔, a couple of our fellow F'ers state side have successfully swapped them over.

The later suspension is also transferable, you have to change the rear bump stops to accommodate. 2013-2014 cars received a different rear suspension layout from reading around. But springs and shocks are interchangeable across years. 

As mentioned above, radiator swap is preferable, I did mine on the drive at home and it wasn't in the best shape externally at 11 and a bit years old. I had a cracked manifold but was covered under warranty, sandly I missed the trick of the GSF manifold swap when it was done. And a good service history although it's hard to be picky with so little of them in the UK. 

Mine is a 2008, I can't say I've personally been lusting for the LSD under normal and spirited road use.

Although my front lower wishbone bushes have recently past their best and need changing, I'm getting inner tyre wear so the RR-Racing USRS Bushes may be getting ordered soon.

Whilst Later cars do get the nicer headlights, stereo finish, LSD, different suspension, I wouldn't discount the earlier models entirely. All are excellent packages, just wrapped a little differently and can be made the same.

I do have 2011 suspension in the garage to be fitted, along with RR lower arms. Looking forward to seeing the difference tbh, I’d like the steering ECU from a later car, heard this makes a huge difference 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Hi Imy

I've had my ISF since July this year.  I had a V8 itch and wanted to get a one before 2030.  Definitely worth buying.

The price I bought it for was too good to pass on (despite having a higher mileage).  Its great as a daily driver although a bit thirsty.  Its a pre facelift, however one of the previous owners had installed facelift LSD on for £4k at lexus!  I have a dc5 as my other car.   So being a honda fanboy the isf is a bit quiet for me as stock.  I have now put a H&S exhaust on and a takeda intake.  Its fast in a straight line but the DC5 corners a lot better.  Although I am still very cautious when driving the isf, in particular when its a bit slippy

• Like 2

Hi,

I am in the area and would be happy to take you for a blast some time.

Mine is a late prefacelift, stock bar exhaust with a fast road geo setup so would give you a good benchmark on suspension and LSD.

I've had it nearly 4 years and due to growing family (2nd child plus dog) and more regular winter duties I am considering a B8 RS4, plus I always wanted one, so would be interested in your opinion on that. I didn't really get the impression they were money pits! Though I am not expecting Lexus levels of reliability. Then every so often I drive the F and think why would I ever get rid!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Thanks for the info. I think suspension including any worn bushings, tyres and a set of decent pads will be my main area of focus along with the radiator as mentioned.

LSD will be one of the last upgrades unless I find a decent facelift one, money isn't a issue however I don't want to be paying over the odds for the pleasure of a facelift when differences aren't huge.

3 hours ago, Slickric said:

Hi Imy

I've had my ISF since July this year.  I had a V8 itch and wanted to get a one before 2030.  Definitely worth buying.

The price I bought it for was too good to pass on (despite having a higher mileage).  Its great as a daily driver although a bit thirsty.  Its a pre facelift, however one of the previous owners had installed facelift LSD on for £4k at lexus!  I have a dc5 as my other car.   So being a honda fanboy the isf is a bit quiet for me as stock.  I have now put a H&S exhaust on and a takeda intake.  Its fast in a straight line but the DC5 corners a lot better.  Although I am still very cautious when driving the isf, in particular when its a bit slippy

Some good info, the DC5 is a incredible motor, a car I almost chopped in the DC2. I know they are like comparing to different cars but ur feedback is valuable. How is the engine in terms of its character to the K20?

Thanks

1 hour ago, C.B said:

Hi,

I am in the area and would be happy to take you for a blast some time.

Mine is a late prefacelift, stock bar exhaust with a fast road geo setup so would give you a good benchmark on suspension and LSD.

I've had it nearly 4 years and due to growing family (2nd child plus dog) and more regular winter duties I am considering a B8 RS4, plus I always wanted one, so would be interested in your opinion on that. I didn't really get the impression they were money pits! Though I am not expecting Lexus levels of reliability. Then every so often I drive the F and think why would I ever get rid!

Hi there,

Passenger ride and general look around would be very gratful, ive never been in one!

Now the RS4 B8 is a fine car, however its very rigid, it has a decentish chassis is, but a lifeless steering wheel, brakes are o.k to a point. The suspension leaks on these! Also you've got the engine carbon issues due to the direct injection -  i didnt own mine for long enough for this to fester. Engines chew oil esp when pushing on, id top mine up several times between services. DSG is great when pushing on but around town it can have a mind of its own, it struggles between comfort and fast road drive when it auto mode and Dynamic is just silly unless your on track. If you get one with a warranty go for it, its one car a warranty is a must. I had the suspension, and a few other bits sorted under warranty at Audi. Also its very heavy on tyres and brake pads compared to the Alpina when is RWD and has alot more torque and weight not much less!

3 hours ago, Slickric said:

Hi Imy

09 plate in white??…… think that’s my mates old car, work was done at Lexus Milton Keynes??

1 hour ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

Some good info, the DC5 is a incredible motor, a car I almost chopped in the DC2. I know they are like comparing to different cars but ur feedback is valuable. How is the engine in terms of its character to the K20?

Thanks

Possibly unpopular opinion, but to me the Honda VTEC engines have more character and sound better than the 2UR-GSE. The V8 is different, more linear and refined feeling, way more torque all through the rev range obviously.

In terms of pure fun I think the Type-Rs are better honestly, it's hard to argue with VTEC and a manual transmission. Thinking back to my Accord R with the 2.2 VTEC that was a fun car to spank around, even compared to my RCF.

• Like 1