Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unable to use the voice commands

In my GS I am unable to use the voice commands: each time I press the button on the steering wheel for the voice commands, a voice message tells me that if I want to dial a number from the phone book I need to say:"dial by name". So I say it, and the voice message asks me to say the name. But when I say the name saved in the phone book, the voice message says:"name tag empty". I have looked in the manual but I have not found anything about saving a name tag while in the PDF manual saved in my laptop there's a procedure for saving a name tag, but it doesn't work. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Thank you

The voice commands, like most other parts of the Lexus nav/infotainment, is abysmal.

I have no idea of how to fix your particular problem but even if you manage to sort it you'll be bitterly disappointed by the performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you may have the standard system rather than the premium system. The premium systems automatically indexes phone book entries and music and builds a voice command index from your phone entries directly.  The standard systems (at least historically) had to have tags added to each entry i believe. I was loaned an IS300h once which said something about tags when i tried to voice dial. As i only had it for a day i never tried to set it up. 

I had understood that you need to record the name as you want to say it, and attach it to a phone book entry. I have no idea how to do that but it must be in some manual.

Paul

• Thanks 1

This is exactly the point: the manual in the car does not say anything about recording the name tag while the manual that I have in PDF in my laptop shows a procedure which unfortunately does not work. Thank you anyway, I will ask the dealer at the next service.   

18 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The voice commands, like most other parts of the Lexus nav/infotainment, is abysmal.

I have no idea of how to fix your particular problem but even if you manage to sort it you'll be bitterly disappointed by the performance.

It works quite well on my Yorkshire accent!  I have heard it struggles across the Pennines!!

Seriously, the MM19 systems can work quite well, but it has a bug that often stops it from indexing the music files. I've been chasing this with Lexus for months. Works well on phone dialing in my experience though.

Paul

24 minutes ago, serbarry said:

This is exactly the point: the manual in the car does not say anything about recording the name tag while the manual that I have in PDF in my laptop shows a procedure which unfortunately does not work. Thank you anyway, I will ask the dealer at the next service.   

Does this procedure work?

Paul

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately the procedure in the video is for newer models as in mine there is not the possibility to click on "options" from a contact and record a name tag. Thank you anyway.

32 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Unfortunately the procedure in the video is for newer models as in mine there is not the possibility to click on "options" from a contact and record a name tag. Thank you anyway.

We need someone who has used your generation of navigation system... unfortunately i have not. There must be someone on here that knows....

You could try reposting in the audio/video/electronics part of the forum? Your issue won't be specific to a GS... Rather it will be specific to most cars of the same age as your GS though.  You may get more attention on that forum for this problem?

Paul

• Thanks 1