Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LS400 purchased - let the fettling begin!

Bought a 1998 LS400 Mk4 last week to replace the MK3 I had which was written off last year. As some of you will already know I wanted another MK3 really but after looking for quite a while and viewing quite a few MK3's or getting the needed info plus pictures, I decided that it was unlikely I would find one in good condition without rot at the rear and in my price range.
So I now have a 1998 LS400, 6P7 ( SILVER JADE PEARL ), Black Leather, 89k miles, DHP alloys (good tyres), timing belt done last year and a lot of work carried out. I bought it going off the condition of the bodywork and the work that has been done already. Drove the car 160 miles home and it drove really well but had a couple of annoying things happen along the way which I'll detail later.
The car was off the road and stored in a front garden apparently for quite a while until the last owner acquired it and restored it so it's in decent shape.
Underneath and rear arches etc are very good indeed including the exhaust flanges etc, no sign of rust round the inner arches at the top area which are visible from inside the boot. I looked at another MK4 a few weeks ago and there were the tell tale signs outside on the rear arch where it meets the bumper, sure enough when the side boot liner and tool box bracket were removed there was a 50p sized hole in this area and the rest of the arch was on it's way out. Other side I suspect is going as well. 
The car isn't perfect and needs a few things sorted, some of which I knew about and some things I didn't know about, but the condition is great even though it had been sat in a garden for years. I've looked at some dogs over the last few months, 'great condition, runs like a dream and has wanted for nothing' (or words to that effect) but the reality was very different.

Things I did know about:
VSC off (only the VSC off) which is intermittent but mostly the VSC is off - I'll tackle this issue soon and may be a dodgy wire to the Yaw sensor in the boot as the fuel tank has been replaced due to it being stood for so long. Maybe it's been dislodged or something.
Engine seems to have a noisy tappet, not a big deal I thought and I'll check the valve clearances and adjust the shim size/s. But................according to the manual, on the VVTI engine, the camshafts need to be removed to replace any shims. Non VVTI can be done without removing the camshafts. It's in at Lexus Bolton on Saturday for a once over so I'll see what they say. If it has to done then I'll do it, mostly time and a few quid (I know the shims aren't cheap though)
Only 1 x key, went to Lexus Bolton this morning to price up a new key. I was expecting a very large cost for what they are but the cost is £220 for a new key including programming so new key ordered along with a new boot seal (told it was ok but it's not). Not a good idea to have just 1 x key............
The passenger side has been painted, it's an excellent job but you can see the colour difference between the faded and new. It's not as bad as it sounds but you would notice when told about it.

Things I didn't know about and the couple of annoying things I mentioned earlier:
Boot seal - new one ordered
There is some dull clunking at the rear end somewhere and I think some ball joints/bushes need attention at the front - not looked properly but Lexus will tell me if anything needs doing now or in the future. It's not bad at all, just noticeable to me and annoying.
Rear brakes are not right somehow and clicking/light clunking when reversing and applying the brake - discs and pads have been replaced all round but not with Lexus OEM so will get the trolley jack out and have a good look at the weekend. I suspect some or all of the clips and shims are missing on the rear and maybe the front.
On the drive back home the dash lights went out and the wipers stopped working, turned the ignition off and on again while moving and everything was ok. Not happened again since.
Went to fill up with fuel when I got near home, started it up and the fuel gauge said empty, stopped - engine off etc - started it up again and fuel gauge worked again. It's been ok until this morning going back to work when I filled up with fuel again. Strange thing is though that the 'VSC Off' issue had gone. Maybe some wiring issue due to being sat for quite a while.

So that's the story so far and will update this topic with anything further, to be absolutely honest I'm not sure about keeping it long term. I thought I could live with the Black Leather but the more I drive it the more I want a lighter interior. But we will see, I'll see what things need doing and sort them all out then take it from there.

• Like 5

I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was fit new wipers, I had a new set I bought for the last LS400. The wipers were shot and one was loose in the bracket/holder which made a right racket. All smooth and quiet now though!!

• Like 1

The dash lights going out points a worn ignition switch  - Sits on the other end of the igntiion barrell - not too difficult to replace.

You could minotor it and see how bad the problem is - I replaced mine many years ago and pretty sure "ambermarine" done his aswell

lookig forward to some pictures . . . . 

11 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

The dash lights going out points a worn ignition switch  - Sits on the other end of the igntiion barrell - not too difficult to replace.

Thanks Mark, I'll get one and replace it. I'll post some pictures when I've finished clay barring and buffing the whole car😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Thanks Mark, I'll get one and replace it. I'll post some pictures when I've finished clay barring and buffing the whole car😉

Hi Mark, do you happen to know the correct part number for the ignition switch? I've had a look on the parts diagram and I can find this one.

84450-16080

image.thumb.png.69e732c161c8dd13b05a739595aa6684.png

image.thumb.png.3410406d0b7dee32b78cbd6a42ba5f99.png

6 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Part number is correct:

Nice car - very unmolested interior

Thanks Mark, I should have searched on the forum. I remember reading about it now.
The car does look nice thanks, I'm searching for a decent set of alloys that came with with car to refurbish. The DHP alloys look great but I want to put the originals back on, might take a while to find some though.

Looks nice! Personally I like the black interior, I had it in two LS400's and found it really easy to look after. Only 89k, you'll need to run it in before you get too old!

3 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Bought a 1998 LS400 Mk4 last week to replace the MK3 I had which was written off last year. As some of you will already know I wanted another MK3 really but after looking for quite a while and viewing quite a few MK3's or getting the needed info plus pictures, I decided that it was unlikely I would find one in good condition without rot at the rear and in my price range.
So I now have a 1998 LS400, 6P7 ( SILVER JADE PEARL ), Black Leather, 89k miles, DHP alloys (good tyres), timing belt done last year and a lot of work carried out. I bought it going off the condition of the bodywork and the work that has been done already. Drove the car 160 miles home and it drove really well but had a couple of annoying things happen along the way which I'll detail later.
The car was off the road and stored in a front garden apparently for quite a while until the last owner acquired it and restored it so it's in decent shape.
Underneath and rear arches etc are very good indeed including the exhaust flanges etc, no sign of rust round the inner arches at the top area which are visible from inside the boot. I looked at another MK4 a few weeks ago and there were the tell tale signs outside on the rear arch where it meets the bumper, sure enough when the side boot liner and tool box bracket were removed there was a 50p sized hole in this area and the rest of the arch was on it's way out. Other side I suspect is going as well. 
The car isn't perfect and needs a few things sorted, some of which I knew about and some things I didn't know about, but the condition is great even though it had been sat in a garden for years. I've looked at some dogs over the last few months, 'great condition, runs like a dream and has wanted for nothing' (or words to that effect) but the reality was very different.

Things I did know about:
VSC off (only the VSC off) which is intermittent but mostly the VSC is off - I'll tackle this issue soon and may be a dodgy wire to the Yaw sensor in the boot as the fuel tank has been replaced due to it being stood for so long. Maybe it's been dislodged or something.
Engine seems to have a noisy tappet, not a big deal I thought and I'll check the valve clearances and adjust the shim size/s. But................according to the manual, on the VVTI engine, the camshafts need to be removed to replace any shims. Non VVTI can be done without removing the camshafts. It's in at Lexus Bolton on Saturday for a once over so I'll see what they say. If it has to done then I'll do it, mostly time and a few quid (I know the shims aren't cheap though)
Only 1 x key, went to Lexus Bolton this morning to price up a new key. I was expecting a very large cost for what they are but the cost is £220 for a new key including programming so new key ordered along with a new boot seal (told it was ok but it's not). Not a good idea to have just 1 x key............
The passenger side has been painted, it's an excellent job but you can see the colour difference between the faded and new. It's not as bad as it sounds but you would notice when told about it.

Things I didn't know about and the couple of annoying things I mentioned earlier:
There is some dull clunking at the rear end somewhere and I think some ball joints/bushes need attention at the front - not looked properly but Lexus will tell me if anything needs doing now or in the future. It's not bad at all, just noticeable to me and annoying.
Rear brakes are not right somehow and clicking/light clunking when reversing and applying the brake - discs and pads have been replaced all round but not with Lexus OEM so will get the trolley jack out and have a good look at the weekend. I suspect some or all of the clips and shims are missing on the rear and maybe the front.
On the drive back home the dash lights went out and the wipers stopped working, turned the ignition off and on again while moving and everything was ok. Not happened again since.
Went to fill up with fuel when I got near home, started it up and the fuel gauge said empty, stopped - engine off etc - started it up again and fuel gauge worked again. It's been ok until this morning going back to work when I filled up with fuel again. Strange thing is though that the 'VSC Off' issue had gone. Maybe some wiring issue due to being sat for quite a while.

So that's the story so far and will update this topic with anything further, to be absolutely honest I'm not sure about keeping it long term. I thought I could live with the Black Leather but the more I drive it the more I want a lighter interior. But we will see, I'll see what things need doing and sort them all out then take it from there.

Mark is correct I did change the ignition switch but it was not worn the issue was the same as you are experiencing (quite scary at 90mph) but rather than being worn my car had only done 20k it is a simple fix.The manufacturing assembly over indulged in the lubricant grease internally and this migrated onto the switching terminals opening the curcuits .it is simple to dismantle and clean up and save yourself £95 at Lexus although if you really want to change it the part is used on several toyotas and other makes of car .DSC03478.JPG.6834c1a23c5d145aff05aab014869025.JPGDSC03477.JPG.0e74774c0178025d1365e6b3485b62dc.JPGDSC03476.JPG.bc1f1f20daf0cbc66e2fc5d5ecb3a340.JPGDSC03475.JPG.3103bc1bf147a1a73af2e2ec1de952d5.JPGDSC03474.JPG.2b3510d052e9c2d923da6b5eff9b2689.JPGDSC03473.JPG.d805cea36c74a7869f2e9b1e8a42e711.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Things I did know about:

Mark is correct I did change the ignition switch but it was not worn the issue was the same as you are experiencing (quite scary at 90mph) but rather than being worn my car had only done 20k it is a simple fix.The manufacturing assembly over indulged in the lubricant grease internally and this migrated onto the switching terminals opening the curcuits .it is simple to dismantle and clean up and save yourself £95 at Lexus although if you really want to change it the part is used on several toyotas and other makes of car .DSC03478.JPG.6834c1a23c5d145aff05aab014869025.JPGDSC03477.JPG.0e74774c0178025d1365e6b3485b62dc.JPGDSC03476.JPG.bc1f1f20daf0cbc66e2fc5d5ecb3a340.JPGDSC03475.JPG.3103bc1bf147a1a73af2e2ec1de952d5.JPGDSC03474.JPG.2b3510d052e9c2d923da6b5eff9b2689.JPGDSC03473.JPG.d805cea36c74a7869f2e9b1e8a42e711.JPG

44 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I still have the cleaned up switch and if you are in need of replacing yours you can have it .

Thanks Phil, that’s great information and thanks for the offer. I remember reading it all a couple of years ago but forgot. In view of that I’ll remove the switch, have a good look, clean it up and see what happens. I’ll have a look for some contact grease as well to use.
I’m hoping that when the ignition switch is sorted it will solve the ‘VCS Off’ issue and the fuel gauge issue, it all seems related. When I got in the car to drive home after work, the fuel gauge was at empty and the ‘VSC Off’ issue didn’t happen all the way home (10 miles) but while driving home the fuel gauge gradually went up past ‘reserve/low fuel’.
It was a bit of a shock when the lights went out driving the car back and I wasn’t exactly chuffed to say the least and then the fuel gauge playing up. At the time I thought ‘have I bought a duffer?’ because it’s been sat for quite a while but my pragmatic and sensible side kicked in…………I bought it because it’s in great condition along with all the work that’s already been done. Whatever LS400 I bought would need some work, plus it gives me something to occupy my time😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Looks nice! Personally I like the black interior, I had it in two LS400's and found it really easy to look after. Only 89k, you'll need to run it in before you get too old!

I like black interiors and it looks great but for some reason I prefer a lighter interior in an LS400. Personal taste changes I suppose, 5 years ago I would have hated a gold LS400 but now I love it……..maybe an age thing.
Somehow I don’t think I’ll get to the point of it being run in properly like the 1,000,000 mile LS400 in the USA🤣

• Like 1

Very nice car: looks better than mine with its flakey front bumper paint and shot wheels…and dings…

I’ve got black interior and feel it ages better or at least appears to…

I’m sure once the niggles are done with you’ll get hooked…the MK 4 really flies too and is a really good car.

Might be worth checking the fuses are clean and pressed home, electrics are clean and WD40’d, Battery terminals are greased and engine Earth straps\bolts clean.

I’ve had similar systems off, once in reverse in the Lexus (came straight back on) I did a switch off and on again…all fine and in  a Merc C200, only the once in either vehicle with no subsequent issues. Nuts 🤪

4 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Thanks Mark, I should have searched on the forum. I remember reading about it now.
The car does look nice thanks, I'm searching for a decent set of alloys that came with with car to refurbish. The DHP alloys look great but I want to put the originals back on, might take a while to find some though.

If you are looking to offload the DHP alloys in the future do let me know 

7 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Might be worth checking the fuses are clean and pressed home, electrics are clean and WD40’d, battery terminals are greased and engine Earth straps\bolts clean.

Good advice thanks, I’ve booked Thursday/Friday off work next week (TOIL) so will have 4 straight days to have a good look round and check everything.

• Like 1

Well done Paul, she looks a nice car and I'm sure perfection will ensue but never be totally achieved .......  coz if it was you would be at a loss for summat to do to her :wink3:

These Ls's' are simply superb cars and will last us all out if we want them to .......  237k miles not far off on mine .........  if I live to be a 100 and still driving I'd still be far short of that 1 million mile mark 

Well done once again Phil .....  keep us posted on developments

Malc

4 hours ago, ambermarine said:

There is a full refurbed set of mark 4 wheels on ebay in the Lexus parts section.

Yep, I've seen them. Too expensive for me to buy and refurb at Lepsons.
They look ok at first glance but if you look closer they seem to be dull and look like they have been rubbed down and painted not dipped and repainted. Just my opinion of course.
I'm after a set that need refurbing to be 100% but not corroded to hell, the guy I bought car from had the original set of wheels but they were too far gone. 

17 hours ago, MotorDevil said:

If you are looking to offload the DHP alloys in the future do let me know 

There is a set of DHP alloys on eBay at the moment for £500 currently on a Black LS400 which is a DHP car. I looked at the the car a while back and have seen the wheels which are not too bad (lacquer peel on at least one of the rear wheel iirc) but will need a refurb to be 100%

2 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

Or £150 for a scruffy set of 5 wheels that need a refurb (Leeds)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124485028591?

They are scruffy and corroded.
I've looked into getting Lexus alloys refurbished at Lepson's and sent them pictures of a spare set of MK3 wheels I have which are scruffy with corrosion etc. Lepson's told me that they can do them but the corrosion will come back in a year or 2. Depends on how bad the corrosion is and how deep it's gone of course.
The MK3 wheels I have, some look not too bad but others are little rough but I'd say they are better than ones for sale for £150. I bought all the stuff to do them myself and use them as a winter set but never got around to it.