Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h to Toyota Highlander.

Has anyone gone from a RX450h to a Toyota Highlander?

Is the Highlander any bigger (more space for my camping equipment)?

Is the lower power in the Highlander noticeable?

3 minutes ago, flookyk said:

https://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/toyota-highlander-vs-toyota-rav4-comparison-which-crossover-is-right-for-you

24 minutes ago, flookyk said:

I wasn’t even aware that there was such a thing as a Toyota Highlander! Having looked on Autotrader there certainly aren’t many available, but the ones that are are usefully cheaper than the RX.

Based on the pictures on Autotrader, the instrument binnacle looks more up to date than the RX.In common with other Toyota products, does this indicate that the Highlander will be the base for the next generation of RX, in which case @flookykit may well be worth a look.

Sorry I can’t be of any real help with your question, hopefully others will be able to provide more advice.

55 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I wasn’t even aware that there was such a thing as a Toyota Highlander! Having looked on Autotrader there certainly aren’t many available, but the ones that are are usefully cheaper than the RX.

Based on the pictures on Autotrader, the instrument binnacle looks more up to date than the RX.In common with other Toyota products, does this indicate that the Highlander will be the base for the next generation of RX, in which case @flookykit may well be worth a look.

Sorry I can’t be of any real help with your question, hopefully others will be able to provide more advice.

This generation of highlander (on the TNGA platform) is the first, i think to be sold in the UK.  It has been available in the USA for several generations.  This is indeed likely to be the base for the 5th gen RX and, given the hybrid system in the new highlander has dropped to be a 4 cylinder (the previous gen highlander had the 2gr V6 as part of the hybrid system as does the 4RX), this is one reason i went for a 4th gen RX this year instead of waiting for the 5th gen next year as the 5RX seems unlikely to get a V6...

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for those that have answered.

One of the biggest things that has put me off waiting for the 2022/23 RX is them going to drop the V6.

If they are going to do that then I might as well go for the Highlander especially if it has more space for my camping gear.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, flookyk said:

One of the biggest things that has put me off waiting for the 2022/23 RX is them going to drop the V6.

If they are going to do that then I might as well go for the Highlander especially if it has more space for my camping gear.

Or get the current 4th gen RX with the V6. The tech was updated to include apple car play for 2019/20 and it also has a touch screen.

Paul

Ahhh sorry i see you already have a 2017 4RX... Hence moving to the latest model year would be expensive for only relatively small differences. 

Paul

Well .. I had a test drive of a Toyota Highlander today as well as having a look at the RX450hL.

The RX450hL is only around 7cm longer than the standard so not worth changing.

The Highlander is big enough but driving it had made me realise how spoilt I have been with the Lexus RX450h.

The Highlander felt flat when accelerating (248 bhp). I really love the way the seat moves back and steering wheel moves up on the Lexus and the heat/cooling of the seats can be linked to the auto Climate Control.. none of this on the Toyota.

Also had a look at a Kia Sorento but that's only 226bhp so will probably notice that even more.

Any ideas at what to look at?

Must be longer than the RX450h to get my camping gear in.

Must be in the top 10 of reliability.. preferably in the top 5.

Preferably a similar or higher power than the RX450h.

Must be a 4x4 or SUV body due to ease of getting in and out of it.

Max price of around £55,000

Not any Plug in ones, as no where to plug it in at home.

21 minutes ago, flookyk said:

Well .. I had a test drive of a Toyota Highlander today as well as having a look at the RX450hL.

The RX450hL is only around 7cm longer than the standard so not worth changing.

The Highlander is big enough but driving it had made me realise how spoilt I have been with the Lexus RX450h.

The Highlander felt flat when accelerating (248 bhp). I really love the way the seat moves back and steering wheel moves up on the Lexus and the heat/cooling of the seats can be linked to the auto Climate Control.. none of this on the Toyota.

Also had a look at a Kia Sorento but that's only 226bhp so will probably notice that even more.

Any ideas at what to look at?

Must be longer than the RX450h to get my camping gear in.

Must be in the top 10 of reliability.. preferably in the top 5.

Preferably a similar or higher power than the RX450h.

Must be a 4x4 or SUV body due to ease of getting in and out of it.

Max price of around £55,000

Genesis GV80?  Starts at around 56k I think.....

Paul

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Was that the Tiger Woods "Roll over Model", Paul ?

Ahh yes, John, I think it was!  I guess we know it has good crash testing results!

A Lexus for when you want to be spoiled with all the comfort and quality + a truck to carry your camping equipment when you are going camping. Camping is in my eyes not really luxury living, more getting out in nature and get away from cities etc.

4 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

A Lexus for when you want to be spoiled with all the comfort and quality + a truck to carry your camping equipment when you are going camping. Camping is in my eyes not really luxury living, more getting out in nature and get away from cities etc.

https://www.guidetocanaryislands.com/best-nudist-beaches-gran-canaria/   Don`t take us for Mugs Sir !

On 1/7/2022 at 6:47 AM, flookyk said:

Who says they're dropping the V6?

Theres an RX500h coming....

59 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Been living here since 2005 and never been there. Live up north where climate is fine all year, no need for heater or air-condition home. Around 21 degrees Celsius all year inside. South where all the tourists are, I only come to pick up family and drive them back to their hotels again. It is too hot there for me.

3 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Who says they're dropping the V6?

Theres an RX500h coming....

There's an RX500h trademarked, yes.  Most discussion on-line is around the V6 being dropped.  I think they are unlikely to put the engine from the LS500h and the LC500h in the RX.  There is speculation that the 500h could be a heavily electrified turbo 4.  Try this about 8:40.  It's all speculation of course...

And look at what happened to their mid size saloon cars.... the GS was replaced with the ES with no V6 option....  The LS went from V8 to V6.  It's all about downsizing at present.  All speculation of course, but it was enough for me to commit to a 4RX (with a 2GR engine) rather than wait for a 5th gen....

Paul

46 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Been living here since 2005 and never been there. Live up north where climate is fine all year, no need for heater or air-condition home. Around 21 degrees Celsius all year inside. South where all the tourists are, I only come to pick up family and drive them back to their hotels again. It is too hot there for me.

Thanks John, We`ll all be over there soon.🤣🤣🤣

The Genesis GRV 80 referred to earlier in this thread looks to be a very nice tool but it is interesting that like Volvo in XC 90 have gone for 4 cylinder in their Petrol, although Genesis is offering a straight 6 alternative diesel.  Genesis  starting price for the 2.5 turbo petrol is £56715 and £56815 for the diesel but neither is hybrid.  Not surprised Lexus apparently dropping V6 in next RX to conform with general trend. 

https://www.genesis.com/uk/en/models/gv80.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAieWOBhCYARIsANcOw0wS0uemrQkXQIfn2AhbOWOTVJhfkhcYDgKN7i2RHrFSf9x9E9PK2ZsaAvWXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds