Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ux Takumi ELECTRIC Insurance ???

Holmfirth Ux

Hi 8 pick up my new car next week, Met Blue, ELECTRIC Takumi.

im surprised by how expensive the Insurance is ? 
tried Go Compare etc, and they are all coming in circa £450 ,I’m 51, no claims etc …..

any advice very welcome..

1 minute ago, Holmfirth Ux said:

Hi 8 pick up my new car next week, Met Blue, ELECTRIC Takumi.

I`m surprised by how expensive the Insurance is ? 
tried Go Compare etc, and they are all coming in circa £450 ,I’m 51, no claims etc …..

any advice very welcome..

I`m amazed at how much the Takumi version costs and against that the £450 you quoted Lee seems like Chicken Feed to me.

• Like 2

Hi I have just confirmed an order on my new takumi electric. I think your right. Managed to get a great leasing deal via lease loco. This is my first lexus after having 2 range rovers stolen. Any suggestions on security ? My last range rover was stolen with a ghost. I opted for an electric as I am assuming they will be less desirable for the scumbags to steal ! 

4 hours ago, Jackclayton said:

Any suggestions on security ?

I think the Lexus is in a difference desirability category to Range Rovers, which are stolen to order. Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to go down the route of physical steering wheel lock.

Keep you keys in a metal box when at home so you aren't victim of a relay attack.

• Like 1

Hi Lee. Blimey £450 to insure your electric UX? That's ruddy CHEAP. You're 51 so what. I'm nearly 60 and for the first time in 12 years I'm paying just under £400 for my 14 year old is250. All those other years I've had to pay over 500 quid. Your car is probably near 10X the value of mine. 

Out of Interest what was you paying before the UX and on what cars?

Sorry but it winds me up folk moaning about car insurance prices when there are far too many steering about without insurance. 

• Like 1

My friend has a 3000cc Porsche Macan, only pays £325 with Esure, that’s a £58,000 car.

Ive a better quote now with Flow Insurance, part of LV, £350, so sounds ok to me.

ive 12 years no claims, no points etc.

23 minutes ago, Holmfirth Ux said:

My friend has a 3000cc Porsche Macan, only pays £325 with Esure, that’s a £58,000 car.

Ive a better quote now with Flow Insurance, part of LV, £350, so sounds ok to me.

ive 12 years no claims, no points etc.

Number of cars +Type+Postcode+Owners details+Driving Records+N.C.B.+a bit of jiggery pokerry= Premium.

• Like 1

That statement from John is just bang on.

Our of interest I went on just one comparison site to quote for a 21 plate takumi UXe. Everything included motor legal expenses, curtacy car, breakdown cover, no claims protection, etc etc etc. 21+years no claims I've got, no points no convictions, comprehensive cover. £545.

I live in a high risk area with a high theft rate and crash claims (the dodgy ones). I'd be quite happy with that quote for that car.

What you've found at £350, snap their arms off but more so enjoy your car.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's ruddy CHEAP. You're 51 so what. I'm nearly 60 and for the first time in 12 years I'm paying just under £400 for my 14 year old is250. All those other years I've had to pay over 500 quid. Your car is probably near 10X the value of mine

Within reason I find the newer the vehicle the cheaper it is to insure. Seems to be mainly about standard safety features.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Within reason I find the newer the vehicle the cheaper it is to insure. Seems to be mainly about standard safety features.

Curious as the newer the car the more expensive they tend to be to repair? Just a minor bump and it's well into the thousands. Heaven forbid if an airbag goes off, or the pop-up bonnet activates!

Older cars have cheaper parts, or their value makes it a write-off at market value.

By far the biggest influence on premium is the postcode and driver profile

26 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Curious as the newer the car the more expensive they tend to be to repair?

Yeah agreed but I think medical expenses and loss of earning can be way more. Get involved in an accident and the insurance companies questions are all about personal injury, whiplash etc.

• Like 1

I think it has a lot to do with where you live Lee, think about it loads of tourists wanting to visit Nora Batty’s steps and Sid’s Cafe all looking for that elusive parking space.

Increased chance of parking dings = increased premiums 😀

I use to have a list of area postcodes and insurance risks. I'm pretty sure someone on here found it initially. And oh boy does where you live dictates how much you pay for car insurance. Where I was born the area had an insurance code 'refer'. Band A the cost of insurance was cheap as you like.

Yes it seems weird newer cars are cheaper to insure but the thing is the parts are not cheap. On the other hand a much older car like let's say a Rover 25 would be more to insure as new parts don't exist and used parts are scarce. 

What bugs me is if someone crashes into me and damages a wing and a bonnet and a headlight then the insurance company would deem it a write off yet they'd fix a newish is300h. 

Basically car insurance prices suck. 

43 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

What bugs me is if someone crashes into me and damages a wing and a bonnet and a headlight then the insurance company would deem it a write off yet they'd fix a newish is300h. 

It would cost far more to write-off a newer car. It's all to do with loss mitigation and that's the insurer's loss not the insured's loss.

5 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

It would cost far more to write-off a newer car. It's all to do with loss mitigation and that's the insurer's loss not the insured's loss.

I feel that they assess the risk before assessing the loss Peter.

The risk of the theft of a brand new Citroen, say, must be considerably less than that of a used Premier brand ? 

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Number of cars +Type+Postcode+Owners details+Driving Records+N.C.B.+a bit of jiggery pokerry= Premium.

I'm intrigued - if Number of Cars was changed from 2 to 1, would that be beneficial?

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I feel that they assess the risk before assessing the loss Peter.

The risk of the theft of a brand new Citroen, say, must be considerably less than that of a used Premier brand ? 

If I'm being completely honest I think it's simply made up to increase revenue and when challenged to define how premiums are calculated they come up with totally nebulous criteria and always include that 'fudge-factor' - personal circumstances 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I'm intrigued - if Number of Cars was changed from 2 to 1, would that be beneficial?

Maybe yes. It is often the case that inc creasing the number of named drivers from one to two reduces the premium.

Likewise, parking on drive can lead to reduced premium from parking in locked garage !

I have 4 cars, all auto.

Lexus, Merc, Mazda 2

Yaris.

All fully comp, all Euro cover,3 have 2 named drivers and the Merc has 5 named drivers.

£900 total premium.

You figure it out, old pal !

• Like 3

Wow £900 to insure 4 cars. That's outstandingly good value. Well done John. I must remember to contact you when my insurance is up for renewal next January. 

• Like 1