Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Did Toyota do a Fail on my Head

Ben774

So, I've done the head gasket on one of the notorious 2.2d engines. Then, after some miles it broke down outside the MOT station. Stripped it down and found a snapped camshaft. Every one of the cam carriers has an oil channel, except from the one where it broke. Is this something Toyota designed, should the head have been a reject in quality control, or is it the outside possibility that the cam melted the head and perfectly sealed over the oil port?

TIA, probably also speak to Toyota before going any further

20220106_160039.jpg

20220106_160043.jpg

50 minutes ago, Ben774 said:

or is it the outside possibility that the cam melted the head and perfectly sealed over the oil port?

Highly unlikely, looks like a man. defect to me.

That's what I'm thinking. They went to the effort of putting then in the others and overhead oilers for the lobes, I'd expect this eighth one to also have an oil port. There's some scorch marks and displaced metal on that one. Spoke to a servicing guy at Lexus Plymouth who said the technical guy will ring me back about it. It's a 60 plate so don't know if it'll go anywhere

I would agree, it looks like port was never there, starving camshaft of oil and causing issue. Despite being notorious for various issues, these engines are not know for camshaft issues, so this is indeed unusual. You may be just out of luck for 2010 car, would it be 2011 you may be just about lucky to get last of 10 year's warranty. 

Now that said, maybe somebody could confirm - wasn't 2AD-FTV under 160k miles extended warranty for all it's dreadful issues? Or did it only apply to earlier 2AD-FHV? Other avenue for resolution - what about warranty for part? 

I guess the only issue is that you carrying out work yourself and Toyota/Lexus may not be inclined to warrant the job even if the part was faulty. I would doubt free engine is likely, but I would aim for all free replacement parts, or even better taking the car to them and letting them fix it, so that they can properly warranty the work as well. Your luck may vary, but I feel you have strong case in your hands as fault here would be clearly caused by significant manufacturing defect!

That is unfortunate. My stepson bought the car last August and we did the head gasket, he drove it around a while and its been off the road since last year while his kidney decided to try explode on him and the MOT place couldn't be arsed to do the compression test on it that I'd asked for. Can't remember what the sticker on the rocker said, I think it was an fhv, can't confirm with certainty right now as it has since turned to a beige smear since being upside down in a box in his boot. At about 100k iirc. 

I've already got a pair of camshafts from the bay. The pics are of when we were rebuilding the head. Was quite amazed to find no signs of any piston/valve contact and it still be timed and turning over as it should but with 75% of the teeth lunched. I've read on here that Lexus were just replacing whole engines for the head gasket fault because it was just cheaper, easier and less chance of the car coming back to them again. Would be somewhat reluctant to put a complete eBay engine in over replacing the head for a decent one. Hoping for a bit of luck with what seems to be a major manufacturing fault that's allowed the cam to seize in the carrier and cause the damage. 

38 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Now that said, maybe somebody could confirm - wasn't 2AD-FTV under 160k miles extended warranty for all it's dreadful issues? Or did it only apply to earlier 2AD-FHV? Other avenue for resolution - what about warranty for part?

If anyone else with knowledge or experience on this could confirm that'd be fantastic.

I'm inclined to say a booboo was made searching the bay and finding a head with all 8 ports.

Stepson also says he spotted the missing port when we did the gasket but assumed there was some reason for it since it had overhead oilers.

Screenshot_20220107-152929_eBay.jpg

Edited by Ben774
Kids are playing guitar and I literally just posted the comment.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

I guess the only issue is that you carrying out work yourself and Toyota/Lexus may not be inclined to warrant the job even if the part was faulty.

It would be nice if they could be favourable on this considering the fact I'm qualified but not currently running a garage