Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ES300h Tool Tray For Space Saver Spare

SH20

Previously a number of us have expressed disappointment at no space saver for the ES for the  UK market.  Like me a few have bought a space saver for different Lexus car models that had them as standard, my own is from a Lexus GS450h and fits perfectly  on either front or rear wheel hubs.  Presently I have this spare wheel  in the boot taking up space. 

I noticed in the separate thread on space saver wheels  a member bought a European spec tool tray specifically for sitting over a space saver spare in the wheel well.  He showed a photo of the part number on the packaging and mentioned a friend of his had bought it for him abroad somewhere.  As most of us know the UK spec tool tray is very deep and won't allow a space saver to sit in the wheel well because we have those awful tyre inflation kits.

Using this part number   64779-33280    I contacted Lexus Hull, the nearest dealer to me and was surprised to hear the item can be ordered on a 3 day turn around for £231.     A lot of money for a piece of molded polystyrene but would address the issue for some people like me who want a space saver spare wheel to sit in the wheel well  and still have the facility to have a genuine tool tray holding things like the scissor jack, wheel brace, tow eye bar, locking wheel nut key etc etc. Plus it will have some space  to store bits and bobs.   I am going  to the dealer next week to take a look at the pictorial image of the part on the parts man's computer screen just to make sure it is the thinner version of the tool tray.    If it is I'll order one. The existing tool tray in my ES with all that tyre inflation garbage  will just be stored in my Garage Loft Space should I ever trade in my ES for a third one.  As Lexus Leeds stood the cost of a £170  rear bumper protection strip which I thought I was paying for,  the £231 for a tool tray isn't so hard to swallow.    I'll let the Forum know what develops.  

• Like 4

The difference in thickness is huge.  It must be about 7-8 inches thick at the front edge. Personally I wouldn't cut down the existing tray. If I buy the correct tray to cover a space saver I would want to fit back the original tray  to maintain the original fittings for another owner when I change my car in 3 years.   I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to order one after I view the image of it on the dealers parts computer screen. 

I can understand that now. So infuriating that Lexus cannot supply the whole package of spare etc as in USA. I have come to the conclusion, if I get a bad puncture. I’m going to call the AA . Lazy, I now, but I don’t relish, at the roadside jacking the bugger up etc. Looking forward to hear about your new tray.

For me it is a complete loathing of those awful tyre inflation kits which fill the tyre with that horrible goo which tyre outlets won't entertain removing if the tyre simply has a normal puncture, they just bang on about the need for a new tyre.   I would rather swap a punctured tyre with a spare  wheel  and then have a vulcanised repair done as long as the nail etc was in the repairable areas of the tread.  I do carry those emergency quick plug kits and a mini compressor which run of a 12v power socket. Anything to avoid filling up a wheel with that goo. 

Apparently  the AA and RAC use plug kits sometimes as an emergency fix  with the owners permission so the punctured tyre can be repaired by a tyre shop later.  

• Like 1

Your ‘complete loathing, is bang on! 
we have the top end of vehicles but no spare. A vehicle that has no mechanical link between the pedal and master, nothing driven of the bottom pulley and I can go on. Sign of the times mate weight!. 
I have heard AA etc now bring out a ‘wheel’ to get you home. 
I’m nearly 70 now. Remember changing 10 wheel stud 10x20 wheels on lorries on the O/s  of the motorway and no Lane closure. Bloody scary. But that’s history just like me. Oh what a marvellous car we own now. It starts, isn’t damp, very different to my 1200 MK1 45bhp Cortina. 
excuse my ramblings. I told Mincey off about that, now I’m doing the same.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SH20 said:

The difference in thickness is huge.  It must be about 7-8 inches thick at the front edge. Personally I wouldn't cut down the existing tray. If I buy the correct tray to cover a space saver I would want to fit back the original tray  to maintain the original fittings for another owner when I change my car in 3 years.   I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to order one after I view the image of it on the dealers parts computer screen. 

It’s hard to swallow £231 for a piece of polystyrene. Luckily Lexus still fits a space saver wheel in the RX; but am sure when the 5th Gen RX comes along they will likely do away with it.

• Like 1

Yes, Lexus always seem to beat the UK up when it comes to spec unlike the US who get everything because of the huge market over there.

The only bonus if buying parts from a Lexus dealer is that you get 10% off if you have a current service plan agreement in place at the dealer you buy parts from which I do.

• Like 1

Once more Lexus customer service exceeds normal expectations.  Ordered the much slimmer space saver tool tray today from Lexus Hull only to be told "No need to pay yet, we will get it in in 3 days and you can come and see if it fits"  The parts chap printed me a screen shot of all the boot interior fittings and from what I can see the part I need is clearly visible.   He said dealers can see all variations of the ES trims no matter what country the car ends up in.  I'll go back in 3 days and hopefully find it was the correct non UK part number.   He said they will send it back no problem if it turns out there is an issue. 

Some photos 125 miles on, just need to hard wire my front and rear dash cameras.  

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SH20 said:

Once more Lexus customer service exceeds normal expectations.  Ordered the much slimmer space saver tool tray today from Lexus Hull only to be told "No need to pay yet, we will get it in in 3 days and you can come and see if it fits"  The parts chap printed me a screen shot of all the boot interior fittings and from what I can see the part I need is clearly visible.   He said dealers can see all variations of the ES trims no matter what country the car ends up in.  I'll go back in 3 days and hopefully find it was the correct non UK part number.   He said they will send it back no problem if it turns out there is an issue. 

Some photos 125 miles on, just need to hard wire my front and rear dash cameras.  

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Wish I had been brave enough to match you on the interior. I went black in the end as I was worried about denim bleed. I also had some sunshine today and the Mesa does look good, and in the dark under street lights 

F4275FC1-A3E8-47DC-81C2-C2E0FACAB483.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, re: colour choice.   One thing I do like Tony is the part black aspect of my interior as the black bits are more of a contrast to the tan seats, very much in keeping with that old adage "Black and Tan" .       (Black and Tan  originating from the Irish drink the English Army used to drink in occupied Ireland in the early twentieth century) made up from half a pint of Guinness and half a pint of mild. 

My first ES had the same tan seats etc but the contrast colour was a chocolate brown for the dashboard etc, however the chocolate brown colour is no longer available for any ES interior, not even on the Takumi.    I noticed that the Takumi rear seats are significantly different to mine, I don't mean reclining etc but the Takumi headrests drop down inside the seat back rather than sitting on top of the seat, very stylish. 

I agree in bright sunlight the Messa Red really pops and shows the metallic flake very well.  I very nearly went for the pale green paint colour Sunlight Green but decided it was a bit weak. Had it been metallic British Racing Green I would have definitely had that.   

30 minutes ago, SH20 said:

Thanks chaps, re: colour choice.   One thing I do like Tony is the part black aspect of my interior as the black bits are more of a contrast to the tan seats, very much in keeping with that old adage "Black and Tan" .       (Black and Tan  originating from the Irish drink the English Army used to drink in occupied Ireland in the early twentieth century) made up from half a pint of Guinness and half a pint of mild. 

My first ES had the same tan seats etc but the contrast colour was a chocolate brown for the dashboard etc, however the chocolate brown colour is no longer available for any ES interior, not even on the Takumi.    I noticed that the Takumi rear seats are significantly different to mine, I don't mean reclining etc but the Takumi headrests drop down inside the seat back rather than sitting on top of the seat, very stylish. 

I agree in bright sunlight the Messa Red really pops and shows the metallic flake very well.  I very nearly went for the pale green paint colour Sunlight Green but decided it was a bit weak. Had it been metallic British Racing Green I would have definitely had that.   

The first one I drive was the brown plastic takumi and (at risk of upsetting) it felt very 80s British Leyland. The other thing I really like in the Lexus interior is no shiny black plastic that scratches when you touch it (Mercedes’ is worst for this at the moment) 

• Like 2

I choose Deep Blue and Sandstone on my 21 plate, after many years of grey and black interior. I was very pleased with that choice, looked the part and the light interior made it more “airy” I have ordered a 22 plate. Sadly no Sandstone option any more. Gone for the Rich Cream and Blue again. But a really hard choice between that and the red. You might say why change so prematurely?  Well my son has my 19 plate and the value has gone completely mad which I’ll be using as a p/x. 

3 hours ago, SH20 said:

Brown Plastic Takumi Tony ??   I thought all Takumi ES300's were leather as standard, no option for leather on a Takumi is there?

The plastic on the lower dash, doors, seat bases. Sorry to say I really didn’t like it

• 10 months later...
On 1/10/2022 at 1:22 PM, SH20 said:

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Hi Tony

I am very interested in obtaining the spare wheel tray you have been talking about for my 2020 ES300h. My dealer in Sussex tells me it doesn’t exist and they have spoken to Lexus in Hull who also deny any knowledge of this item. 
may I ask you to contact me by email. 
tonygriffiths631@gmail.com

A quick search on the P/N quoted by @SH20 yeilds some results in America @ Lexus Parts Dealer.   There is a useful tool to check the fit for different cars by VIN or Make/Model/Year.  International shipping also available.  I have no idea is LHD versus RHD will make any difference.  Take note of the extra fittings associated with this item at the bottom of the web page.  Hope this helps.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-tray-spare-wheel-co~64779-33280.html

image.thumb.png.a643f7ee0c435fc8f4c8348f477eac37.png

22 minutes ago, TGHaywards4631 said:

A copy of the invoice would be extremely helpful

many thanks

Tony

I will dig it out and email it to you. I think it only right to block out any personal details from the invoice, sure you understand.

Although I did move on from the 2022 ES I bought in January I did sell the tool tray to Beyond the Blue as he says but find it so hard to believe Tony that a Lexus dealer would say to you the part doesn't exist when of course I bought the part in question from Lexus Hull whose young parts man went out of his way to help once I supplied the part number to him quoting it directly from a forum member who brought one in to the country from somewhere in Europe.   Sounds like the dealer in Sussex couldn't be bothered.   There are even two versions of it, the other can accommodate a full size Takumi alloy wheel because the tools sit in another piece of polystyrene foam which in turn sits inside the actual wheel.   It still has the slimmer version of the tray but extra bits and will of course be to accommodate the US.   

On 1/8/2022 at 11:31 AM, SH20 said:

Previously a number of us have expressed disappointment at no space saver for the ES for the  UK market.  Like me a few have bought a space saver for different Lexus car models that had them as standard, my own is from a Lexus GS450h and fits perfectly  on either front or rear wheel hubs.  Presently I have this spare wheel  in the boot taking up space. 

I noticed in the separate thread on space saver wheels  a member bought a European spec tool tray specifically for sitting over a space saver spare in the wheel well.  He showed a photo of the part number on the packaging and mentioned a friend of his had bought it for him abroad somewhere.  As most of us know the UK spec tool tray is very deep and won't allow a space saver to sit in the wheel well because we have those awful tyre inflation kits.

Using this part number   64779-33280    I contacted Lexus Hull, the nearest dealer to me and was surprised to hear the item can be ordered on a 3 day turn around for £231.     A lot of money for a piece of molded polystyrene but would address the issue for some people like me who want a space saver spare wheel to sit in the wheel well  and still have the facility to have a genuine tool tray holding things like the scissor jack, wheel brace, tow eye bar, locking wheel nut key etc etc. Plus it will have some space  to store bits and bobs.   I am going  to the dealer next week to take a look at the pictorial image of the part on the parts man's computer screen just to make sure it is the thinner version of the tool tray.    If it is I'll order one. The existing tool tray in my ES with all that tyre inflation garbage  will just be stored in my Garage Loft Space should I ever trade in my ES for a third one.  As Lexus Leeds stood the cost of a £170  rear bumper protection strip which I thought I was paying for,  the £231 for a tool tray isn't so hard to swallow.    I'll let the Forum know what develops.  

I ordered the shallow spare wheel tray from Lexus Nottingham 64779-33280 which was delivered in 3 days & is a perfect fit, so thanks for the info. Price is now £252.22 plus Vat i.e, just over £300  I enquired on a separate thread as to whether a Camry hybrid kit would fit but got no confirmation; Nottingham Lexus (also Toyota on the same site) weren't sure as I doubt if they have even had a Camry in stock & of course they have now been discontinued in the UK & there are very few about.

There are also very few GS450h space savers around, but the (extremely helpful) Parts Manager at Lexus Nottingham came back to me the same day after doing some research for me with a suitable space saver for my ES 300h Premium Pack (18" wheels) plus the appropriate securing bolt.