Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise, lane centering, radar.

beyond the blue

20 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Just tried the new toy out on the motorway with all the above. The car can drive itself! That might seem normal to most people on here but to someone my age it's nothing short of magic. What a car!!!

Hi Neil,

Have you been able to get around the nag where the car beeps at you and wants to hold the steering every 20 seconds or so ? How needy !

The Lane Keeping Assist is fine, it makes a serious attempt to throw me back into my lane if I cross the lane without indicating, or even if I am indicating and car is approaching fast enough from behind.

But the Lane Centring is a bit too parametric. It would be totally fine if I don't have to keep my hands on the wheel and the car does it's thing. It won't do the wrong thing as it is designed to find the lane markings and keep the car dead centre, but that's not how I am used to driving. The continuous disagreement with the steering wheel is a bit frustrating.

But yes, it is quite capable of driving on its own as long as the lane markings are resolved by the camera, or on a small road the edges of the road itself are resolved by the camera and failing both if at least there is a car it can follow (and assuming the driver of the car in the front is driving sensibly)

--E

5 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Hi Neil,

Have you been able to get around the nag where the car beeps at you and wants to hold the steering every 20 seconds or so ? How needy !

The Lane Keeping Assist is fine, it makes a serious attempt to throw me back into my lane if I cross the lane without indicating, or even if I am indicating and car is approaching fast enough from behind.

But the Lane Centring is a bit too parametric. It would be totally fine if I don't have to keep my hands on the wheel and the car does it's thing. It won't do the wrong thing as it is designed to find the lane markings and keep the car dead centre, but that's not how I am used to driving. The continuous disagreement with the steering wheel is a bit frustrating.

But yes, it is quite capable of driving on its own as long as the lane markings are resolved by the camera, or on a small road the edges of the road itself are resolved by the camera and failing both if at least there is a car it can follow (and assuming the driver of the car in the front is driving sensibly)

--E

I agree with everything you say. I turned the sensitivity down on the features late last night but haven't been out to see if it makes any difference yet. It's early days yet so might finish up turning it all off. Am l correct in thinking that the lane assist turns itself back on by default?

5 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

I agree with everything you say. I turned the sensitivity down on the features late last night but haven't been out to see if it makes any difference yet. It's early days yet so might finish up turning it all off. Am l correct in thinking that the lane assist turns itself back on by default?

I will have to confirm that as I have never turned off LKA so far. (LCA was turned off after the novelty worn out)

But IIRC it should revert to the last setting. There is a button on the steering which you can use to toggle it.

--E

Nice touch that a warning will flash up about keeping your  hands on the wheel if you are naughty and take your hands off to test the self steer function. Once it senses no contact of the steering wheel after a few seconds the warning appears, I think an audible one too but I can't remember if that's strictly true.

Level 1 warning visual - hands on wheel

Level 2 audible warning

Level 3 system disengages with audible warning and icon turns white

Yes depending on the road the system can be a bit nagging, surprisingly the system in my last civic was better at resolving the lines. This one seems a small step back compared to the honda one, although the ACC here is miles better. The Honda one was a lot harsher on the brakes and picked up more cars on exits and while over taking. eh you win some you lose some. In either case, the system does reduce fatigue on looonger journeys. I can attest driving 13+ hours to germany and back with and without the system.

System default for the LCA is high sensitivity, I haven't lowered it. Would be interested to read about your results next time you go out.

23 hours ago, e-yes said:

I will have to confirm that as I have never turned off LKA so far. (LCA was turned off after the novelty worn out)

But IIRC it should revert to the last setting. There is a button on the steering which you can use to toggle it.

--E

Yes that’s what I found, use the button on the steering wheel to turn it on or off and it just remembers the last setting

4 hours ago, Derant said:

Yes that’s what I found, use the button on the steering wheel to turn it on or off and it just remembers the last setting

I beg to differ I'm afraid. I have been turning it off by long pressing the lane assist button all morning and when I return to the vehicle it is back on again.

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

I beg to differ I'm afraid. I have been turning it off by long pressing the lane assist button all morning and when I return to the vehicle it is back on again.

image.thumb.png.8d220a38c73d09fdc2735574597f0df6.png

That is from the manual I have.

It is very much possible that it is an update to the newer model as these regulations keep changing.

I will test it out to confirm though as soon as I can.

--E

6 minutes ago, e-yes said:

image.thumb.png.8d220a38c73d09fdc2735574597f0df6.png

That is from the manual I have.

It is very much possible that it is an update to the newer model as these regulations keep changing.

I will test it out to confirm though as soon as I can.

--E

I don't doubt what it says in the manual, however I have tried everything I can find to make it remember to keep it turned off without any success, it always defaults to on (for me at least). I can alter the way it notifies me with either a buzzer or a wheel vibration but it always turns the wheel. I really hope I'm wrong in someway.  

2 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Try doing it without the long press ?

--E

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Try doing it without the long press ?

--E

Thanks for that but still no joy. A quick press of the button brings up a message saying 'LTA is active' another quick press changes the message to 'LTA is active/ Lane centering is active' another quick press changes the message back to 'LTA is active and so on. A long press of the button turns the LTA icon off on the display without a message appearing and it does stop the LTA operating when driving, however the system defaults to on again when the car is switched back on. I have scoured the manual without finding anything. Again I hope to be proved wrong.

Have you tried turning it off from the instrument cluster option menu rather than the button. Last menu on the right (the cog wheel) and scroll down to the vehicle settings. Car needs to be on and parked, it greys out when moving. Also remember to turn off the lane departure or active LKAS if you don't want any steering intervention when getting close to lines, or at least to warning mode so a beep or a vibration. It's a two part system LKAS and LTA. First keeps you in the lines, second centers you in lane when DRCC (adaptive cruise) is on.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

Have you tried turning it off from the instrument cluster option menu rather than the button. Last menu on the right (the cog wheel) and scroll down to the vehicle settings. Car needs to be on and parked, it greys out when moving. Also remember to turn off the lane departure or active LKAS if you don't want any steering intervention when getting close to lines, or at least to warning mode so a beep or a vibration. It's a two part system LKAS and LTA. First keeps you in the lines, second centers you in lane when DRCC (adaptive cruise) is on.

Just tried doing that thanks but nothing works, I've now managed to ***** up the tyre pressure settings as well. It's going back to the dealer next week so I'm going to have them teach me (if it can be done)

2022 models will turn on LTA each time you power up the vehicle - it won't remember the previous state.

Turning the LTA system OFF

Press and hold the LTA switch

The LTA indicator light turns off when the LTA is turned OFF.

Press the switch again to turn the system on.

The LTA is turned ON each time the power switch is turned to ON.

However, the lane centering function keeps either the ON/OFF state prior to the power switch being turned OFF.

I wonder if lane centering has been improved for 2022? The previous versions were ok up to maybe 50 mph by which point it cannot cope and you end up bouncing from one side of the lane to the other down the road.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

2022 models will turn on LTA each time you power up the vehicle - it won't remember the previous state.

Turning the LTA system OFF

Press and hold the LTA switch

The LTA indicator light turns off when the LTA is turned OFF.

Press the switch again to turn the system on.

The LTA is turned ON each time the power switch is turned to ON.

However, the lane centering function keeps either the ON/OFF state prior to the power switch being turned OFF.

I wonder if lane centering has been improved for 2022? The previous versions were ok up to maybe 50 mph by which point it cannot cope and you end up bouncing from one side of the lane to the other down the road.

Ah! Well that explains that then. I find the lane centering works very well, nice and smooth. However I find it's the LTA that gives the most problems, especially where road works are being carried out and white lines have been painted all over the place. I tried to join a motorway today and the steering jerked about that much my daughter in the back let out a yelp. Pity we can't pull the fuse out of that feature.

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

This is indeed different on 2022 models then.

Mine is 2020 built and it works as per the 2020 manual. However I have not noticed the bouncing between lanes even at 70mph. It remains dead centre of the lane.And that is the issue really (for me) 🙂 .

I tend to drive closer to the right edge of the lane but the car wants me to remain in the centre. Also, the way I have setup my seat, I end up driving with hands in the 3-9 or 4-8 position due to which the car thinks I am not holding the wheel !

But if I just for the sake of very short testing turn that feature on, let the steering wheel go it is able to negotiate motorway curves at motorway speeds.

--E

16 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I tried to join a motorway today and the steering jerked about that much my daughter in the back let out a yelp. Pity we can't pull the fuse out of that feature.

I would recommend to keep this turned on and get used to this.

For me, this felt annoying in the beginning but once I got used to it I drive with the assurance that the car will prevent me from possibly taking a wrong decision. False negatives are harmless really. I can still force the car to do what I think is right but I'd rather have that "safety net" in place at all times.

--E

• Like 1

Just received this confirmation from Lexus technical......

Hello Neil, thank you for your patience. Our Product Technical Team have confirmed that this system defaults to on with ignition on as it is a safety feature. Thanks.

3 hours ago, e-yes said:

I would recommend to keep this turned on and get used to this.

For me, this felt annoying in the beginning but once I got used to it I drive with the assurance that the car will prevent me from possibly taking a wrong decision. False negatives are harmless really. I can still force the car to do what I think is right but I'd rather have that "safety net" in place at all times.

--E

On a side note, when I changed my insurance over to the ES from an Audi A3 the premium went down, I was surprised and it must have shown in my voice as the LV chap assured me it was because of all the safety features on the ES, so it must make a difference.

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

On a side note, when I changed my insurance over to the ES from an Audi A3 the premium went down, I was surprised and it must have shown in my voice as the LV chap assured me it was because of all the safety features on the ES, so it must make a difference.

I need to get some more quotes next time, I swapped over on my existing insurers (Lloyds) and mine went up £4 a month even though I am now 7 groups lower than my old XF. Could be worse though the Lexus drive away quote came through at double