Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav screen upgrade

Hey,

Can the 6" sat Nav screen be upgraded to 10"?

I'm not talking about going down the Navirider route...

Just seems like a waste of screen real estate, as useable space is tiny.

For 2015 model.

A Failing that I may opt for Navirider unit, or just stick with current screen and get q Grom VLine2.

7 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Hey,

Can the 6" sat Nav screen be upgraded to 10"?

I'm not talking about going down the Navirider route...

Just seems like a waste of screen real estate, as useable space is tiny.

For 2015 model.

A Failing that I may opt for Navirider unit, or just stick with current screen and get q Grom VLine2.

Let me know of you GROM, i am thinking to …..

Just some FYI as the Grom Vline is running Andorid 8.1, I emailed GROM to ask about Android 10+ they replied back to say that their system will be getting an upgrade in Q1/Q2 but they dont have an exact date yet.

1 hour ago, agent_dess said:

Just some FYI as the Grom Vline is running Andorid 8.1, I emailed GROM to ask about Android 10+ they replied back to say that their system will be getting an upgrade in Q1/Q2 but they dont have an exact date yet.

I agree that it should really be up to date (or at least, more than it currently is) but I haven't come across any app that doesn't like 8.1. Everything I've got on my Vline seems to work perfectly, although I do admit that I'm still exploring and getting used to it and there are areas of it that I haven't even begun to use yet.

Its not like the manufacture update the UI in the car unless its a generation change.. so any continuous updates to GROM/Navrider will always be welcome unless it introduces some nasty bugs lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 11:41 AM, Herbie said:

I agree that it should really be up to date (or at least, more than it currently is) but I haven't come across any app that doesn't like 8.1. Everything I've got on my Vline seems to work perfectly, although I do admit that I'm still exploring and getting used to it and there are areas of it that I haven't even begun to use yet.

@Herbie how do you rate the GROM unit? Is the smooth? I know it still on android 8.x.

The screen replacement unit I've seen has a 10" screen,  Qualcomm 8 core CPU and comes with Android 10.

Both around £500 mark but the Qualcomm version might end up incurring import charges. The Grom advantage is it UK based and connect to existing screen.

12 hours ago, agent_dess said:

how do you rate the GROM unit? Is the smooth? I know it still on android 8.x.

Android 10 is being tested at the moment and should be available in the next two or three months.

Overall I'm very happy with it. It does have one or two little quirks but I can live with them because they're minor annoyances rather than problems. For example, if I want to go back to the OEM screen all I have to do is to click on the Media button, but it doesn't take me back to where it was before. Having said that, it's only a couple of clicks to get there so no great problem.

As far as I can tell, most things work as they should and yes, it is smooth.

13 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Both around £500 mark but the Qualcomm version might end up incurring import charges. The Grom advantage is it UK based and connect to existing screen.

Originally, I could neither justify, nor did I want, to spend £510 for the Grom unit so I paid £200 for a Carlinkit Decoder 2.0 from AliExpress and it was awful. I never managed to get it working properly and there was very poor to non-existent support from China and also a lot of barriers to returning it, so I put it down to experience and got the Grom after all.

I had a lot of initial problems with my Grom unit but I have to say that the UK distributor for Grom, Richard Heap from Carputer Shop in Ashby De La Zouch is very good to deal with and is very helpful. The only problem is that he is literally just a distributor and has no workshop or testing facilities. All technical help and support is done via Grom HQ in Texas, USA, and the time difference makes it very slow, literally just one message per day. If I sent a query on Monday the reply would come on Tuesday, so I'd try it and if I had to say that it was unsuccessful, they got that on Wednesday and a new suggestion would arrive on Thursday. And, of course, nothing gets done at the weekend.

Although it was a bit of a faff they were very helpful and saw me through to a successful conclusion. In my case the Vline itself was perfect but the main harness they supplied with it was at fault and a new harness sorted it all out. 

I don't know if you've seen my topic below but if not, have a look and it may answer some of your questions that I haven't covered above:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All 
Sorry I am a bit of a noob here, and I don't understand when you guys are talking about grom etc., I assume that's the type of screen. Can someone dumb it down for me and advise me if I can upgrade my system with a potentially bigger screen and one that I can mirror my android phone on to it? I would like to still be able to access the car functions on the screen. My car is an old model (2013 is 300h F-sport), so I'm not sure what model will fit my car. I would also appreciate it if you could advise me on where I can get a good reliable system, the price, and whether it's simple enough to do it myself (is there an instruction video link you can share).  

Also if it helps I have the "https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi7u573vqf2AhXiYOYKHXF2BI8YABCBARoCZGc&sig=AOD64_35X82gmTXhfRwsRG-If4JGqs0-1w&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjQ2Jf3vqf2AhXKMMAKHa4LC5MQ9A4I9A4&adurl=" mouse type.

3 hours ago, Amir_hmn2002 said:

Hi All 
Sorry I am a bit of a noob here, and I don't understand when you guys are talking about grom etc., I assume that's the type of screen. Can someone dumb it down for me and advise me if I can upgrade my system with a potentially bigger screen and one that I can mirror my android phone on to it? I would like to still be able to access the car functions on the screen. My car is an old model (2013 is 300h F-sport), so I'm not sure what model will fit my car. I would also appreciate it if you could advise me on where I can get a good reliable system, the price, and whether it's simple enough to do it myself (is there an instruction video link you can share).  

Also if it helps I have the "https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi7u573vqf2AhXiYOYKHXF2BI8YABCBARoCZGc&sig=AOD64_35X82gmTXhfRwsRG-If4JGqs0-1w&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjQ2Jf3vqf2AhXKMMAKHa4LC5MQ9A4I9A4&adurl=" mouse type.

GROM is a mini computer essentially which plugs into the existing wiring loom.
Something like a Navirider is the whole screen with the computer built into it and is touch screen.

You will find videos of it on YT.