Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Washer fluid sensor

Matt busby

I have a 61plate ct200h the windscreen wash level sensor isn't registering even tho I top it up , its an MOT failure , but too expensive to have replaced,  is there anyway of cancelling the warning on the dash

Your looking at around £70.00 from a UK dealer (extortionate) but if you can wait a while around a third of that from Amayama shipped assuming it is the sensor that is causing the fault.

2A15397B-8040-42AC-AB3C-843E58222F5C.png

• Like 1

Some stuff like this can be disabled with techstream, might be worth a look? I turned off the seatbelt warning on my wife's car because she often pootles around her allotment in it and found them annoying.

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

Are you sure that it's the sensor itself and not just a broken wire or corroded connection?

If you're sure, have a look at breakers on eBay and get a used one or try these people here.

Thankyou , it was picked up on the last mot at lexus , they was saying the sensor needs replacing which involves taking the bumper off etc to get to , £350 to complete , I blagged em saying I would do it , but never did , now it's due another mot

9 hours ago, Matt busby said:

I have a 61plate ct200h the windscreen wash level sensor isn't registering even tho I top it up , its an MOT failure , but too expensive to have replaced,  is there anyway of cancelling the warning on the dash

This may seem a silly question but what warning light is showing to warn of low screen wash? I have looked at mine and the manual and cannot see any mention of this warning light. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Moleman said:

This may seem a silly question but what warning light is showing to warn of low screen wash? I have looked at mine and the manual and cannot see any mention of this warning light. Thanks.

I think it comes up in writing on the multi-information display rather than an illuminated symbol. It will be listed with all the other warning messages near the back of the manual.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, m4rkw said:

It doesn't sound like something that should be an MOT fail, it's clearly not a safety issue. Maybe you can find a tester who'll pass it or just note it as an advisory?

I may be wrong here. Seems strange that it may fail the MOT because of the warning message on the multi-functioning display panel on the bottom right hand corner of the dash. Even though all is working fine? I'm not a mechanic nor a registered qualified MOT tester. However, I've just looked on the GOV website searched under the words "mot." Found this.... 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/3-visibility

I know it's strange at 05:40am to do this. But couldn't sleep so I thought "mmm 🤔 let's see about this. Us LOC members need to help each other where we can! " As you do! This may help to have, so your ready and armed when you take it back to Lexus to get the MOT done? 👍🏽

22 hours ago, Matt busby said:

You've never actually said if the washers are working or not. If they are then there's nothing to worry about. 

How many gazillions of lower-end cars are running around with no level sensor at all?

I can’t see anything in the MOT testers manual to suggest a vehicle could be failed for this warning plus if it was the car would have been failed on it last year.

I would leave it as it is, it’s not a safety issue and up to you whether you have it fixed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

You've never actually said if the washers are working or not. If they are then there's nothing to worry about. 

How many gazillions of lower-end cars are running around with no level sensor at all?

Sorry yes the washers are working fine , but apparently in uk its an MOT failure if it states on the dash no washer fluid 

12 hours ago, Sled Driver said:

I may be wrong here. Seems strange that it may fail the MOT because of the warning message on the multi-functioning display panel on the bottom right hand corner of the dash. Even though all is working fine? I'm not a mechanic nor a registered qualified MOT tester. However, I've just looked on the GOV website searched under the words "mot." Found this.... 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/3-visibility

I know it's strange at 05:40am to do this. But couldn't sleep so I thought "mmm 🤔 let's see about this. Us LOC members need to help each other where we can! " As you do! This may help to have, so your ready and armed when you take it back to Lexus to get the MOT done? 👍🏽

Thankyou very much for all your help , lexus was going to charge me a couple of hundred quid just to replace the sensor because of how big a job it is 

I thought the only warning lights that will fail an MOT are Engine Check Light, ABS, Stability Control, Airbags, Tyre pressure warning (depending on vehicle age). 

Washer low is just an information light, not a warning.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:12 PM, Matt busby said:

they was saying the sensor needs replacing which involves taking the bumper off etc to get to , £350 to complete

The bumper doesn't need to come off - you remove the wheel and wheel arch liner and you can then get to the washer bottle and the sensor. If you just want the warning to go away you can disconnect the wiring connector which will open the circuit at fool the vehicle into thinking it has fluid - that would save you the cost of purchasing a new sensor.

It isn't more than an hour's work - go to an Independent to do it if you don't want to do it yourself. No point paying £150+ per hour for Lexus to do it.

• Like 1