Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


New set of rims advice


Recommended Posts

Hello all 

New owner of an is250 petrol automatic 2007 model. I bought this baby with quite high milage (151K) but the condition was really good. Obviously it needs some new stuff to bring it up to snuff. 

Let's get to it. I have already put on a fresh full set of Goodyear F1 asymmetric 5 and i want to also get some after market beauty rims to replace the horrible Lexus ones that also oxidized and peeled off. 

Do i have to look for anything in particular or can i fit anything on it? Do i stay away from certain brands or designs that don't hold rigidness of the frame or anything of the sort? 

I have set my eyes on a couple of DOTZ designs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine came with the Spyder 18" alloys and they look great on the car. Only issue was that they were oxidized and bruised all over the place. I had them repainted and they now look awesome. You can zoom in on the first photo to see how bad they were. Second photo is after repaint.

Edit: 2nd photo is before repaint.

 

1639480037529.jpg

IMG_20200707_181237.jpg

Edited by AntC
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2022 at 4:16 PM, ikaruga24 said:

Hello all 

New owner of an is250 petrol automatic 2007 model. I bought this baby with quite high milage (151K) but the condition was really good. Obviously it needs some new stuff to bring it up to snuff. 

Let's get to it. I have already put on a fresh full set of Goodyear F1 asymmetric 5 and i want to also get some after market beauty rims to replace the horrible Lexus ones that also oxidized and peeled off. 

Do i have to look for anything in particular or can i fit anything on it? Do i stay away from certain brands or designs that don't hold rigidness of the frame or anything of the sort? 

I have set my eyes on a couple of DOTZ designs. 

151k is actually quite normal for 2007 car - 15 years, 10k miles each year. 

As you already fitted the tyres, this means you locked yourself on 17" wheels, perhaps mistake in hindsight if you planned to change wheels. As short term solution the cheapest and safest way would be just to refurbish the existing wheels and maybe change colour a bit - guaranteed fitment, keeps the tyres and just £200-£250. Pitting and peeling is not an issue for refurbishing as long as wheels are straight and not cracked.

If you insist on diching the standard wheels, then my next call would be to look for wheels you like from other Lexus models or later IS in particular. Almost all Lexus wheels fits across all models, with only exception being CT and new LC/LS wheels. The only problem I can see here - again your new tyres are for 17" and choices on that size will be limited, at this point you would get most choice in 18" variety (newer IS, most GS uses them). In terms of what exist for 17" I can only thing about IS FL "Advance" wheels, and few examples of wheels used on IS mk3.

I am always very careful to recommend aftermarket wheels, they are often poor quality and fitment becomes an issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with Linas, the basic wheel requirements are 5 stud with a 114.3 PCD, offset 40-45 and centre bore 60.1 the latter adjustable down with spigot rings.

A lot of Japanese cars use this pattern.

Also make sure you fit the correct wheel nuts for the type of wheel, most aftermarket wheels use cone nuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the information on that. If that is the case then i am very much stuck on what i can chose. I am not having any problems with refurbishing the current wheels and adding my own colour scheme on it. I prefer the 17' due to better comfort and cost management. I just thought on adding something to make it look more sporty but i guess it looks sporty enough. 

Being my daily i don't want to sacrifice comfort and potentially fuel economy for bigger 18' wheels. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 hours ago, ikaruga24 said:

Being my daily i don't want to sacrifice comfort and potentially fuel economy for bigger 18' wheels. 

The car is very comfortable anyway, 18" won't make that much of a difference if you have at least "40" sidewall - 225/40R18 is perfect. My fuel economy got better when I went from factory 245/45R17 to 225/40R18 because it's a thinner tyre - less resistance. This car is very heavy and isn't tail happy at all, so you don't have to worry about unwanted skidding around.. Just for an idea, here's mine with 225/40R18 18x9.5 ET16 wheels.

IMG_1315.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H3XME said:

The car is very comfortable anyway, 18" won't make that much of a difference if you have at least "40" sidewall - 225/40R18 is perfect. My fuel economy got better when I went from factory 245/45R17 to 225/40R18 because it's a thinner tyre - less resistance. This car is very heavy and isn't tail happy at all, so you don't have to worry about unwanted skidding around.. Just for an idea, here's mine with 225/40R18 18x9.5 ET16 wheels.

IMG_1315.JPG

Is that the case really? It's too late now though but i will keep it as a reference when it's time to change if i still have it by then. 

By the way, this looks gorgeous. I see you have replaced the headlights as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ikaruga24 said:

Is that the case really? It's too late now though but i will keep it as a reference when it's time to change if i still have it by then. 

By the way, this looks gorgeous. I see you have replaced the headlights as well. 

Yeah, good tyres make a big difference. 

Thanks, yeah I have. One of the best modifications on the car. The light output is so much better + they look good 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership