Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 300h steering - slight initial resistance upon turning the wheel

Hi 

A few months ago I noticed something that I find difficult to explain or fathom the reasons for. I first suspected there could be something with the way the front tyres sit (although new), but it persisted now with another set of tyres (all seasons for European driving in winter). 

Sometimes, not always, there is an every so slight initial resistance when I start turning the wheel. It's a subtle thing that I notice when steering slowly, finely. The best way I can currently describe it (I clearly lack in automotive vocabulary) is as if I were steering the car out of a shallow tramline - except there is no tramline. I noticed it at low and high speeds, mostly close to centre position but sometimes off centre too. I'm not yet sure how to replicate it reliably.

Tried searching the forums and the web but I don't even know what keyword to use - the typical steering issues don't apply.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks!

Mine does it to - there is a TSB but only for 2013 models although I have seen a few others reporting similar symptoms with newer cars - mines a late 2014 and I'm sure its the same issue.

34492EB5-C73C-424D-817F-BDDCD34798C1.png

11 hours ago, Mikey B said:

Mine does it to - there is a TSB but only for 2013 models although I have seen a few others reporting similar symptoms with newer cars - mines a late 2014 and I'm sure its the same issue.

34492EB5-C73C-424D-817F-BDDCD34798C1.png

Thank you, Michael - notchy is the name for it then, had no clue. Looks like it's a relatively common feature not just in Lexus IS and GS but also other makes. I'm bringing the car for an interim service next week, I'll bring it up to see if they're familiar with it and what the response is. I suspect it's not worth fixing if it's more than a good WD40 treatment. Does it get worse though?

21 minutes ago, DBIZO said:

Thank you, Michael - notchy is the name for it then, had no clue. Looks like it's a relatively common feature not just in Lexus IS and GS but also other makes. I'm bringing the car for an interim service next week, I'll bring it up to see if they're familiar with it and what the response is. I suspect it's not worth fixing if it's more than a good WD40 treatment. Does it get worse though?

I've had my IS for 3 years now - its on 216K of which almost 60K have been done by me and its no worse now than the first time I noticed it - more of an occasional irritation rather than a problem

• Thanks 1