Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

courtesy lights

george72

Afternoon all.

Not sure what you think but i really do find the courtesy lights rather dim when i press open on my keyfob at night- the lights within the cabin are dim, clearly not helped by the very darkened rear windows on my F sport. Also, the light being emitted from the door handles is almost non existent. My 5 series BMW use to light up like a Xmas tree, and i am just curious about how others find this feature/non feature!

Oh yes, why has my ES not got illuminated sill plates?  

many thanks

Germans don't do subtle, do they 😆 I should know, dealt with them for a decade

As for the ES, as I approach the car in the dark the handles light up enough for me to see where to reach for. I'd say functional without being vulgar. Same for the footwell lights, enough to see where to step getting in without spot checking to see if my shoes are shiny enough.

P.S I leave daily early morning in the dark

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, george72 said:

All down to trim levels on different variants I suppose.

My 2005 RX300 had them but my 2013 RX450h Advance didn't, neither does my 2018 RX450h Luxury.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, george72 said:

Not sure what you think but i really do find the courtesy lights rather dim when i press open on my keyfob at night- the lights within the cabin are dim, clearly not helped by the very darkened rear windows on my F sport. Also, the light being emitted from the door handles is almost non existent.

The door handle ones, as Peniole says, are really just to show you where to put your hand rather than actually illuminate anything.

As for the interior lights, simply swap them for LEDs. This company are very good and supply good quality bulbs:

https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/eng_m_LED-Bulbs-1272.html

I've not taken any photos of the interior lights in my current car but this is my old 2005 RX300 after changing to LEDs - no flash on the camera, just literally the LEDs:

carlight.thumb.jpg.1582025b7c88a71c00d2a029e08a5111.jpg

carlight1.thumb.jpg.d44b51b160abd2fce6fc1a763617234c.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, george72 said:

i am just curious about how others find this feature/non feature!

Mine is ES + Premium Pack (which adds some "Ornamental" lighting)

I find the courtesy lights sufficient. Not particularly bright but just ample. Comparing with the A6 I had, I don't find much difference. The A6 had dark headliner and privacy glass. If anything, my ES has very good footwell lighting front and back and light headliner so that helps as well.

The BMW I had I remember it was brighter but that might have been down to the light coloured interior and headlining, and no privacy glass.

The F Sport model doesn't add any additional "Ornamental" lights even if Takumi Pack is added and it has dark headliner. Couple that with the privacy glass and you have the experience you are having. If I optioned out F-Sport in the future I would err on the side of light coloured interior otherwise with all the grey weather we have... I will need a lot of coffee to feel brighter 🙂 

--E

2 hours ago, george72 said:

Afternoon all.

Not sure what you think but i really do find the courtesy lights rather dim when i press open on my keyfob at night- the lights within the cabin are dim, clearly not helped by the very darkened rear windows on my F sport. Also, the light being emitted from the door handles is almost non existent. My 5 series BMW use to light up like a Xmas tree, and i am just curious about how others find this feature/non feature!

many thanks

l see where you're coming from but l would rather have subtle/class rather than brash, however my ES is going in on Tuesday to have illuminated cill plates fitted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

l see where you're coming from but l would rather have subtle/class rather than brash, however my ES is going in on Tuesday to have illuminated cill plates fitted.

May I politely ask is that an expensive job? And is it all four doors or just the front.

TVMIA.

PeteTP

9 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

May I politely ask is that an expensive job? And is it all four doors or just the front.

TVMIA.

PeteTP

Three weeks after I placed the order for the car I tried to add it as an extra for the cost of £290 as shown on the price list, but was told the order couldn't be changed as it was 'being processed' so the dealer quoted £410 as an after fit. I managed to bargain it down to £360. I've automatically assumed it's just for the front 2 but having looked in the manual it does show a diagram of the internal lights and shows all four with the wording 'if fitted' I very much doubt it will be for all four, that's not the sort of luck I get! 

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

All down to trim levels on different variants I suppose.

My 2005 RX300 had them but my 2013 RX450h Advance didn't, neither does my 2018 RX450h Luxury.

Exactly that. It’s normally the top trim level of each model that is fitted with front illuminated sill plates as standard. The exception to this are the ISF, RCF and GSF which did not come fitted with this option, for some reason. 

Thanks for the responses. I had them on my IS as they were standard on the SE-L. Think back then the only option was metallic or solid paint!!!!

I didn’t think I’d miss them on my Takumi. However, with hindsight I should have ticked that option.

PeteTP

3 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

Thanks for the responses. I had them on my IS as they were standard on the SE-L. Think back then the only option was metallic or solid paint!!!!

I didn’t think I’d miss them on my Takumi. However, with hindsight I should have ticked that option.

PeteTP

They did come pretty fully loaded but Sunroof, Multi Media (Sat Nav, reversing camera and Mark Levinsion) and the Radar cruise system were also options on the IS250 SE- L.

12 hours ago, F.A. said:

They did come pretty fully loaded but Sunroof, Multi Media (Sat Nav, reversing camera and Mark Levinsion) and the Radar cruise system were also options on the IS250 SE- L.

Thanks for refreshing my memory F.A.  I had the other stuff but not the sunroof. However, got the glass panel in the ES roof and it’s pleasant to have ……if the ambient conditions are equally nice.

PeteTP

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses,really interesting. I will definitely want to change the interior bulbs to LED at some point. And I can see that others have changed the puddle lights at the bottom of the doors too... 

I cannot justify the price for the illuminated scuff plates I would have expected them to be standard on an ES! 

49 minutes ago, george72 said:

Thank you all for your responses,really interesting. I will definitely want to change the interior bulbs to led at some point. And I can see that others have changed the puddle lights at the bottom of the doors too... 

I cannot justify the price for the illuminated scuff plates I would have expected them to be standard on an ES! 

George,

You're quite right - not worth the money. But they do look nice, all the same!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

These puddle lights aren't really practical as puddle lights, but everyone who sees them is well impressed by them :thumbup:

puddle.thumb.jpg.3d23b2ebdaca2cf4e76a66a5fd74e56a.jpg

I really like them😊😊😊 where can I get these from? 

55 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Yes at £360 I agree they are expensive, but I'm more than pleased with them.

untitled-5.jpg

They are very classy indeed. But May I enquire where is the blue hue Emirati green from around the scuff plate and the driver’s door storage?

Was the fitting bill inc of LOC discount OOI?

Pete

41 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

They are very classy indeed. But May I enquire where is the blue hue Emirati green from around the scuff plate and the driver’s door storage?

Was the fitting bill inc of LOC discount OOI?

Pete

They are blue illuminated scuff plates.

Yes they do look nice. There are few things like this that let the es down I think. The interior whilst generally very well screwed together is rather staid. Whilst I don't want something too blingy it doesn't  feel special. Ah well minor issue, what I wanted was bullet proof reliability and hopefully that's what I will get. 

I’m not a kerb (pun intended) appeal buyer. So Lexus is right up my street (sorry!) as it is understated, conservative quietly and reliably doing what it says in the PR stuff.

At least that’s my view.

Pete

• Like 1