Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Vibration and Noise

We've just bought a 2016 Lexus RX450h F - Sport from a Lexus Dealership with a 30 Day Return Guarantee and the usual One Year Parts and Labour Warranty.

The Car has done 75000 Miles with a Fully Stamped Lexus Service History.

Went to start the Car yesterday , and when the Engine kicked in (We were stationary on our Drive and out of Gear ) there was a horrible sound and vibration from the Engine that lasted about Five Seconds.

We've only been out in no more than Five times and it's only the once it has done it.

I'm going to email Lexus today, but has anyone got any ideas of cause and if we should just return it ?

TIA

Rob

• Sad 1

I'd say that it's under warranty so get them to sort it. However, I've been in the maintenance industry all my working career and if the fault isn't apparent at the time then it's extremely difficult to fix it.

Best thing I can suggest for now is to record the start-up on your phone every time and then when you do catch it, post the video on here for starters so that we can maybe offer some help. Of course, if you do that, you've also got video proof to present to the dealer.

• Like 4

Interesting as not long after buying mine is also started missing (old term hunting) for about 5 seconds, so like you let Lexus know as I had to return to the dealer for something else.

That was a few months back & has not done it again & the tech at the dealer were also scratching their heads but checked this & that at the time.

BTW on a V6 if it starts missing for any reason the engine will shake & rattle a bit.

• Like 1

Strangely mine started to do something similar about a year ago. Mentioned it when it went in for service but as it didn't do it when it was in they could not find anything. It is not misfiring exactly just sounds and feels like it's not firing cleanly for several seconds, with a bit of vibration then it clears and runs normally. I haven't had any warning lights so I am not unduly worried just wondering what is causing it.

Bri

• Like 1

14 hours ago, robpace said:

We've just bought a 2016 Lexus RX450h F - Sport from a Lexus Dealership with a 30 Day Return Guarantee and the usual One Year Parts and Labour Warranty.

The Car has done 75000 Miles with a Fully Stamped Lexus Service History.

Went to start the Car yesterday , and when the Engine kicked in (We were stationary on our Drive and out of Gear ) there was a horrible sound and vibration from the Engine that lasted about Five Seconds.

We've only been out in no more than Five times and it's only the once it has done it.

I'm going to email Lexus today, but has anyone got any ideas of cause and if we should just return it ?

TIA

Rob

Has it definitely had its full 60,000 mile full service with the change of spark plugs?

I am asking as I bought my previous RX from a non dealer with 71,000 on the clock then found the previous owner has skipped this one having a small service done at 55,000 miles then another one done at 67,000 missing the important 60,000 one.

It had been serviced at Carlisle Lexus so I found out after ensuing through them .. the previous owner must have skipped it after being told the cost.

I had this 2017 ones 60,000 mile full service done early last May at 56,000 mile...so this May will just get a small one done around 62,000 miles.

The Car has done 75000 miles with last Intermediate Service done in September by Lexus Birmingham at 73000 Miles. It has all Seven Services so far stamped by Lexus and next one is Full Service at 80000 Miles.

My previous RX had its service book all stamped by Lexus Carlisle but it was not until I checked the details with them that I discovered the ones close to the 60,000 miles ones had not been the big important one with the sparkplug change.

• Like 2

When my 4RX decides the batteries need charging it spins the engine between 1,500 & 2,000 rpm.  This is usually when I'm stationary and is quite noisy and I can feel a kind of grinding vibration. I don't like it but I've lived with it for 4 + years.

I've read that the new engine is nowhere near as smooth as the original V6 but does give me more miles per gallon. I'm amazed at the mpg of the 4RX but regret the vibrations. The worst vibration happens at just over 1,000 rpm but only occurs when the car is hot. Seems strange to me that the first mile or so on a cold morning there's no vibration at all. Smooth as silk. Then something warms up and off it starts. I have to knock the gearbox out of D to increase the revs and the vibe goes. As you spin the engine up the rev range then the thing is like a red hot knife going through butter. So smooth !

• Like 1

To me the question is... can you live with it?

If it drives you mad, maybe return it?

Lexus might then fix it and all is well. Or ...?

I could live with it as it's the only the once so far it's happened.

It's the thought of if the engine getting damaged that worries me.

I'd say it sounded like it was the problem with that engines VVTi not keeping the Oil in top of engine until the pressure gets up to get it where it should be looking at YouTube and previous Posts on the same engine noise.

Has anyone heard of the engine being damaged by this problem ?

Been perfect apart from the once it happened !

• Like 1

Just to verify: sometimes they use standard 0W-30 oil for all models (not so professional if Lexus official service does). Another think to verify is the oil level that should NOT exceed the max level at WARM engine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links