Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise Control Stalk

agent_dess

Hi,

The cruise control stalk is missing on my steering wheel.. it appears the last owner broke and never replaced it.. long story short i need to get a new one.

Have 2 options:
1) Lexus Parts Direct have it for £138
2) AliExpress have it for £10 made by a company called MH Electronic

From my understanding the stalk is a dumb device as all the work will be done by the ECU.
So it just sending an on/off signal essentially.

Part Number: 84632-30010 IS Phase 3

Which one would people recommend going for?

Other option is to get used one from breakers yard or eBay -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255336887273

Or even new generic one for Toyota (they are identical) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363481738438

And finally - there is an option to let the seller to resolve this issues, because unless this was specifically mentioned and you knew it when buying, it is seller responsibility to mention or fix such issues, otherwise it is miss-selling. 

• Like 1

I would agree. I wouldn't be troubling myself trying to figure out if a cheaper aftermarket part is as good as oem.

Unless it was stated at time of purchase, the selling dealer is responsible for fixing these kind of things. I'd either get them to fix it,  or refund the cost of the oem part plus a bit extra for fitting. You shouldn''t have to  justify any cost.

Having also seen your other thread then I'd personally also mention that I wasn't happy with the repainted door and misaligned trim. I suspect that they'll be inclined to refund something rather than face a potential return and refund of the car.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

The local breakers wanted £75!

Do the MK2 model work with MK3?

I thought it was a design change?

As far as part number goes it seems that 84632-30010 was fitted to Toyota-Lexus cars from ~1992-to this day. The indicator stalk has changed, but as far as I can remember cruise control was always the same. I would double check part numbers in case connector changed internally, but they look the same otherwise.

27 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I would agree. I wouldn't be troubling myself trying to figure out if a cheaper aftermarket part is as good as oem.

Unless it was stated at time of purchase, the selling dealer is responsible for fixing these kind of things. I'd either get them to fix it,  or refund the cost of the oem part plus a bit extra for fitting. You shouldn''t have to  justify any cost.

Having also seen your other thread then I'd personally also mention that I wasn't happy with the repainted door and misaligned trim. I suspect that they'll be inclined to refund something rather than face a potential return and refund of the car.

He offered money for the cruise and paint. Just waiting on it appearing in my bank account.  The painting is gonna cost a little, he offered to paint it at his garage but the cost of petrol both ways and hotel wasn't really worth the trip. So far they are being helpful.

• Like 1

Yep - that is the way to go!

As well, I always like to give people a chance - everyone can make mistakes, but it is most important they are willing to admit it and reimburse for the issues. If seller reimburses it to you fairly, then it sounds like genuinely trustworthy seller to me. 

Still struggling to find a genuine one for a decent price.

All the listing on eBay are for IS MK2 2006-2013 on those same listing they mention things like also works with Yaris 2016.
But no mention of IS MK3 2014+

Im starting to wonder if the design/pins have been altered for IS MK3?

Amayama that Steve2006 mentioned have it but shipping to UK has been suspended for the time being.

For £12 I would give it a shot, worst case scenario - return it. In your case do you still have the part which is mounted in the steering column (the base), or is it removed completely? The part number and connector would be on the base, so you would be able to double check.

17 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

For £12 I would give it a shot, worst case scenario - return it. In your case do you still have the part which is mounted in the steering column (the base), or is it removed completely? The part number and connector would be on the base, so you would be able to double check.

yeah the base of it is still on the steering wheel only this stick is missing...
Need to find a guide to remove the airbag so that i can get to broken part... makes me little nervous, i think as long as i dont not disconnect the airbag it should just be 4 spring type mechanism holding the air bag on the wheel, pop them and i should be able lift the airbag off and access the cruise control part.

• 4 weeks later...

Cruise Control Stalk from Amayama shipped 26th Jan arrived yesterday 9th Feb.

Fitted today took about 25mins as i did NOT disconnect 12v Battery.
So i took my time trying to figure out what i needed to do to get access to the cruise control.

Tip:
it helps to turn steering wheel 180 degrees then you can easily see the 3 spring mechanism 🙃

Driver-side.thumb.jpg.25939dd8f5d218ca00322beae6c5573a.jpg
Remove the stalk control cover using trim removal tool.
On Driver side there is just one spring mechanise that needs to be pushed.

Passenger-side.thumb.jpg.0a751bf2053fc1c50c86dd86c8911a2c.jpg
This time on passenger side again remove steering wheel cover using trim removal tool.
There are 2 spring mechanism on the passenger side.

CC-location.thumb.jpg.31896c64e89e1ac761db81b31224d115.jpg
Centre unit pops out, carefully lift to one side
Broken cruise control unit has 2 screws and a connector.

once swapped over simply push the centre unit back into place
Tip:
The downside of not disconnecting the 12v Battery meant the i had the horn blaring while i pushing it back into place 😶

Broken-CC.thumb.jpg.66b3c90d2db5dd41578e1d4a2635082f.jpg
The old broken cruise control 😐

• Like 2

Great work and thanks for pictures!

One thing to note - you had some never to work with airbag without disconnecting the Battery, I would certainly advise to disconnect it and wait at least 90s, before working on anything electrical... and even more - around the airbags.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Great work and thanks for pictures!

One thing to note - you had some never to work with airbag without disconnecting the battery, I would certainly advise to disconnect it and wait at least 90s, before working on anything electrical... and even more - around the airbags.

Normally i would have disconnect Battery for example if i was going to remove the seats from the car then i would disconnect Battery.  For the steering i probably would have if i was going to do extensive work like remove steering control for wrapping etc but since i only need to access 2 screws i figured i would play roulette 😂  remember kids always disconnect the Battery 😉