Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Hardware going in!

samplify

Nice! What springs are you going to be pairing them with?

I'm also planning to change my suspension this year at some point but still kinda undecided whether coilovers should be an option or not.

Was leaning more towards getting the billys though as my car is a daily driver and I already have a set of new springs (H&R) to go on.

@J Henderson I am going to follow Bilstein and forum members' advice and stick to the OE springs for now. I don't want to prematurely wear them out with lowered springs. Coilovers, whilst very nice, are extremely expensive even in comparison to what these cost and as you said for a daily driver I personally don't want them!

• Like 1

Re shock absorbers. I got genuine ones vited by my local Halfords about £50 cheaper than from Lexus plus a free MOT thrown in and the ride is as Lexus intended. Pay much more attention to tyres as they play a very big affect in ride and handling. 

UPDATE: new shocks and rear bump stops have been installed today as well as the new LCA bushings. Car is sitting a bit higher now (I think my old shocks were REALLY bad as it looked like the car was on lowering springs before!) £225 for the labour which is not too shabby.

Car no longer wobbles around on twisties and bumps. Steering deadzone is less and lower speed steering feels much tighter. Yet to take it on an A road/motorway but I would assume I'll have a more planted feeling. Overall very happy, time will tell as they settle in and soften up slightly. Will be putting it on 18s with some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics at some point in the next month as mentioned above and getting a proper alignment done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 7:26 PM, samplify said:

@J Henderson I am going to follow Bilstein and forum members' advice and stick to the OE springs for now. I don't want to prematurely wear them out with lowered springs. Coilovers, whilst very nice, are extremely expensive even in comparison to what these cost and as you said for a daily driver I personally don't want them!

Thanks for the post - I'm also thinking of getting your setup with the Bilsteins and the Hardrace LCAs (originally wanted FIGS or RR-racing but can't justify the import charges)

What OEM springs have you got? As far as I'm aware the OEMs are not all made the same: IS250, IS220, Sport, F-Sport, ISF, etc.

45 minutes ago, AFlex said:

Thanks for the post - I'm also thinking of getting your setup with the Bilsteins and the Hardrace LCAs (originally wanted FIGS or RR-racing but can't justify the import charges)

What OEM springs have you got? As far as I'm aware the OEMs are not all made the same: IS250, IS220, Sport, F-Sport, ISF, etc.

IS250 OEM springs as far as I know. Car rides a tiny bit firmer but feels really stable at high(er) speeds. Not particularly comfortable around town though in 20s/30s, something to bear in mind.

Polys can be good but for daily driving I'd stay away. I have heard they are super firm and can also make unwanted squeaky noises.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:51 PM, samplify said:

IS250 OEM springs as far as I know. Car rides a tiny bit firmer but feels really stable at high(er) speeds. Not particularly comfortable around town though in 20s/30s, something to bear in mind.

Polys can be good but for daily driving I'd stay away. I have heard they are super firm and can also make unwanted squeaky noises.

Interesting... I have stock IS250 Sport springs (2007) and have always found the suspension to very rough and uncomfortable around town - and it's totally stock.

I don't suppose you've ever driven a sport model and could compare how yours feels now you've upgraded the parts? I would love to fit the LCA bushings as I hear they improve the steering 'feel' (always felt this car was lacking steering feedback compared to BMW 3 series I used to drive). But I'm not willing to sacrifice ride comfort that much.

I suppose it's difficult to say how much of the firmness is due to the LCA bushings vs the shocks?

On 5/1/2022 at 11:34 PM, AFlex said:

I suppose it's difficult to say how much of the firmness is due to the LCA bushings vs the shocks?

The thing is that shocks will not affect the steering feel the same way those LCA bushings will so it's different. When I swapped my stock suspension for coilovers, it improved the overall feeling as the car was less boat-like. It eliminated a fair chunk of body roll, so going into a corner obviously feels better and the car feels more planted and you have a better idea of where the front wheels are. I want to get those HardRace LCA bushes as well as they're meant to stiffen up the steering. I'd like the steering to be a bit heavier, which generally can be adjusted through the ECU since it's electric but nobody really tunes these cars.

7 hours ago, H3XME said:

I'd like the steering to be a bit heavier, which generally can be adjusted through the ECU since it's electric but nobody really tunes these cars.

You can plug & play some additional weight & feel by swapping the power steering ECU for an IS-F one. 

I think you need the Lexus dealer (or Techstream) to recalibrate the steering afterwards though.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:34 PM, AFlex said:

Interesting... I have stock IS250 Sport springs (2007) and have always found the suspension to very rough and uncomfortable around town - and it's totally stock.

I don't suppose you've ever driven a sport model and could compare how yours feels now you've upgraded the parts? I would love to fit the LCA bushings as I hear they improve the steering 'feel' (always felt this car was lacking steering feedback compared to BMW 3 series I used to drive). But I'm not willing to sacrifice ride comfort that much.

I have never driven a sport model, unfortunately. LCA bushings shouldn't change ride comfort, more steering feel as others have already mentioned.

• Like 1