Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Discs and pads required replacing after just 2 years.

Hi All

Had them replaced by Lexus in November 2019. Was expecting at least 3-4 years out of them both as I drive about 8k per year. However pads are down to 4mm and discs starting to wear! Look, I know its a question of how long is a piece of string as driving styles etc can vary. But that does seem a bit quick if you ask me? 

I thought usually a set of discs would last through 2 sets of pads?

Or maybe its just big, heavy auto and heavy right boot syndrome coupled with a number of motoring staycations across the Brecon Beacons, Yorkshire Dales, Dartmoor etc.....

Cheers

I would have expected at least 30 to 40k out of a set of discs,more if light footed....Toyota/Lexus have had issues in the past with brake manufacturer where discs were lasting much less and showing pitted after a couple of year.....

As far i remember on my previous GS disc were changed at around 100k miles, but it was mainly done on motorways.

My wife CRV is at 78k and will have new disc this spring.

20k seems way too small. Are you sure they are already 2mm thinner, or is it just small lip on the edge ? 

This is what was written. I've no reason not to disbelieve their assessment. I've never had to change both discs and pads after 25 months, and I've driven some big heavy autos. Think it's probably worth pursuing further with the dealer before agreeing to anything.

Out of interest what is the warning for low pads on a MK4 GS? 

IMG_20220122_231443.jpg

Have you looked at them yourself? Measured the disc and pad thickness? Worn discs/pads are often reported as a 'fail safe' thing - there could well be plenty of meat left. Was there a report on the MoT? Is the MoT due anytime soon?

I think there will be a 'rattler' - a springy bit of metal which contacts the disc when the pads are worn and makes a noise like the wheels are about to fall off!

Just noticed - 4mm on the pads is plenty - MoT limit is 2mm. Those 2mm will take quite a while to wear.

23 minutes ago, johnatg said:

Just noticed - 4mm on the pads is plenty - MoT limit is 2mm. Those 2mm will take quite a while to wear.

The pads start life at 12 mm so at the rate limit Adam is experiencing that is 9 months to get down below 1.5 mm. So the dealer is right to flag this as they will be below the limit before the next service. (Lexus state 1 mm is the minimum limit but for some reason the MOT feels the need for it to be 1.5 mm). 

On 1/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, johnatg said:

Have you looked at them yourself? Measured the disc and pad thickness? Worn discs/pads are often reported as a 'fail safe' thing - there could well be plenty of meat left. Was there a report on the MoT? Is the MoT due anytime soon?

I think there will be a 'rattler' - a springy bit of metal which contacts the disc when the pads are worn and makes a noise like the wheels are about to fall off!

Cheers for all the replies. If its the noise I believe, that 'rattler' sounds like a freight train slowly squealing around a tight bend?

Yes I think its best just to carry on driving and re-assess after 3-4 months. 

I suspect the noise varies. I have heard it described as squealing and that's what you would expect. I haven't heard it often, but when I have it has been more like there was something very loose in the suspension - definitely a rattle and not just when you are braking.

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, cadman2k said:

I would have expected at least 30 to 40k out of a set of discs,more if light footed....Toyota/Lexus have had issues in the past with brake manufacturer where discs were lasting much less and showing pitted after a couple of year.....

Jaguar have problems with their discs on the XE not lasting very long due to pitting and several members on the XE forum have now switched to a different make of discs and pads with no further problems.

A possible cause for premature wear can be the pads not quicky retracting slightly as you come off the brake pedal causing excess rubbing.  Where this is the case, the most probable reason is that the pads are not freely moving over the pins which should be smooth, unworn and correctly lubricated.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, ColinBarber said:

Seems too low. You must be heavy on the brakes?

Get some EBC redstuff pads, less dust and less disc wear.

That’s what I was thinking as I thought discs would last a few years depending on driving style. 

getting my 4x discs changed this year at Lexus Sidcup. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Riccccccardo said:

That’s what I was thinking as I thought discs would last a few years depending on driving style. 

getting my 4x discs changed this year at Lexus Sidcup. 

What did they quote for you out of interest?

I got quoted over £500 for front discs and pads by Lexus. Seemed excessive. Lo and behold Toyota Jemca quote £325 for OEM.

I think I'll have to admit...I'm heavy on the brakes and did two big road trips Inc Skye and the Yorks Dales. There was a lot of heavy braking in places. Have definitely made a big effort to lighten my right boot since I got told the wear rate.

• Haha 1