Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake pedal and steering wheel shuddering when using brakes…

HoofHearted

7 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

As above, I know 250s rear callipers seizing is a common fault but what am I looking at here? Is it discs, pads and callipers or just the callipers to be replaced?

Most often it's warped discs, but can also be worn suspension components. Is it ok at low speeds and worse at higher speeds?

20 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Most often it's warped discs, but can also be worn suspension components. Is it ok at low speeds and worse at higher speeds?

Probably a mixture of both. Suspension components sound expensive. What kind of parts am I looking for if it’s that? 

I'll second warped discs. If it's not too bad and the discs are still servicable you could get away with a resurfacing. If it were me, I'd just have the whole set done with new discs and pads and a good reconditioning of the calipers. Brakes is the one area, no-one should skimp on.

Re suspension components, could be the dampeners are on their way out, you would feel that kind of vibration after spring/coil decompression (i.e. right after a bump), but if you're getting it on smooth tarmac then it's probably just the calipers. Once up in the air I would also check linkages for perished bushings and play in the suspension.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PCM said:

At every service I get my calliper pins checked and re-greased...

A sensible plan, even a sticky caliper can cause a wobble. In my experience over the years it has 95% of the time been discs.

• Like 1